Patterns for Pyrate coats

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Allan Harley

Patterns for Pyrate coats

Post by Allan Harley »

First an apology, this isn't my period but really want the full 18th century pirate/buccaneer costume.

Help please with fabric, accessories, patterns amounts of fabrics e.g how much fabric for a coat, for waistcoat etc..
Away from the battle all are soldiers.

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Patterns for Pyrate coats

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Mad Mab

Re: Patterns for Pyrate coats

Post by Mad Mab »

Karen Larsdatter wrote:Have you seen the Reconstructing History Golden Age of Piracy Patterns?

Would second this. I've made a couple of items from these patterns and I've found them to be well researched and easy to follow (and I only seriously started making clothes (as opposed to stage costume) a couple of years ago and am completely self taught) with instructions for both machine and period construction, types of material, lengths needed and advice on decoration, not to mention advice on period stitches. They cost a bit more than your butterick or simplicity patterns but all sizes are included in the one set and you get all that extra information. :D
mab
Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

Foxe
Post Centurion

Post by Foxe »

Yup, if you want to go for naf Hollywood gear then there's a million and one places to go, but if you want to do it right then go to Reconstructing History.

If you're new to the era and do want to do it right then you also need to bear in mind that 75% of the ideas usually associated with "pirate" clothing come from the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Last edited by Foxe on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

and to look at the cut of clothing in general, check out books by jean hunnisett (sp?) and norah waugh
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

You could ask Vic or Gary - who does a rather good Blackbeard

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

You could ask Vic or Gary - who does a rather good Blackbeard

kate/bob

Post by kate/bob »

I've just made a pirate-like coat for Rob (of Wm Stanley fame). I used a simplicity pattern that you can get from ordinary fabric shops. It's in the dressing up section and looks a bit cheesey, but if you make it using proper fabric then it makes up beautifully.

Please don't make a black wool one though or you and Rob will be twins and that would never do!!!