Seeking Advice - 13th/14th Century Kit

Moderator: Moderators

lossefion

Seeking Advice - 13th/14th Century Kit

Postby lossefion » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:07 am

Hello all.

I'm currently seeking to create both a man-at-arm's kit and nobleman's kit for the period just prior to or during the Scottish Wars of Independence. I have been collecting kit for several years now, but am looking for accuracy. I do have references to several brasses on tombs from the period, but I would like some more advice on what to have. My thought is a kit for one of the more notable families involved in the wars on either side of the Border. I am also looking for soft kit materials. I have a friend who's helping me with the patterns.

I currently possess a riveted coif, riveted haubergeon w/short sleeves, separate riveted mail mittens, with black leather backing, a padded coif and gambeson, two chausses (butted mail, looking to replace with riveted eventually), a black sword belt (not period accurate), a Hanwei blade w/scabbard (looking to upgrade as well), two heater-type shields - one plain, one painted (Sinclair), two surcoats of differing heraldry (Douglas and Sinclair families), buckled boots.

What would I need to represent either of these people fighting on foot or indeed horseback? Any comments would be welcomed.

Thalion

Re: Seeking Advice - 13th/14th Century Kit

Postby Thalion » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:24 am

Hi,

Maybe I can help with the equipment as I'm a 1250's Re-enactor, a hospitaller (Forefront of technology I might add) but I should still be able to help you out.

lossefion wrote:a Hanwei blade w/scabbard (looking to upgrade as well)

If looking for a new sword, and sword belt go to Armour Class, a scottish bunch of scots who make swords and leather? As an englishman I still say they have style! (Authentic, 13th C. & 14th C., and manu other periods, they do loads maybe not the best website but they go to TORM, brilliantly made items, and really care about the customer) http://www.armourclass.co.uk/

lossefion wrote: am also looking for soft kit materials. I have a friend who's helping me with the patterns.

Ali, herts fabrics are good quality, and nicely priced and also cares about customer satisfaction! A top-notch bloke. Most of my soft kit are from his fabrics.
http://www.classhistory.co.uk/Herts%20Fabrics/

lossefion wrote:I'm currently seeking to create both a man-at-arm's kit and nobleman's kit for the period just prior to or during the Scottish Wars of Independence.
What would I need to represent either of these people fighting on foot or indeed horseback? Any comments would be welcomed.

How rich the lord is your Man-At-Arms under service of? As that'd contribute into how well your kit is. From being just a man in gambeson, a weapon and head protection, to almost as well equip as a knight.

And as a nobleman again depends on how rich, but normally they'd clad themselves in the best kit affordable, as for mail it'd be wedge riveted (Expensive I so riveted will do as 13th C. was using wedge, but still riveted stuff floating around.), hauberk / haubergeon full sleeved with gauntlets attached via cording or sometimes permanently attached. The Mail gauntlets had a slit in them so you could grip your weapon properly, you had a padded coif, then mail coif with sometimes a leather band over the mail coif to help the helmet fit better, the helmet is personal flair ect ect.. I don't know for england but in the Knights Hospitaller our brothers were equipped with gambeson, then hauberk, then an aketon over top (As I said forefront of technology). Oh and Mail chausses, because alot of the combat style was trying to hit the unprotected areas, mainly the legs. Also a nice tip, with your mail haubergeon, get brass rings to put on the ends, the knights used to do it to shown wealth and to help anti-rust it as water would trickle down the mail to the bottom rings, and they'd rust the most.

Surcoats you have two options: Infantry surcoat which is only split at the front, to waist, or a riding surcoat which is split front and back. I'd advise for a pole weapon as if I remember correctly we always love those and swords are secondary.

As I said, I'm a re-enactor of a 1250 brother which were at the forefront of technology, and so I can only give some idea of what a common & nobleman would have, but can't put anything into concrete. And if you already knew all of this after seven years, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

If I'm not allowed to post links, I'm sorry and will remove on request.

Regards,
Thalion.
Last edited by Thalion on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brother of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.

Ordinis Hospitalis Sancti Johannis Jerusalem
Ava Crux Alba

Return to “1100-1500”