Women only! Roman bikini help needed

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

katy

Women only! Roman bikini help needed

Post by katy »

Ok I've been asked to make and wear one of these for...... er well lets just not say! LOL
I have been given some original templates from the museum knock up of the knickers but who ever made it has no idea about the actual shape of a woman. But these I dont think will be to difficult to alter. I am making the top in the same style but with only the mosaic picture to go on, now I already have some bindings made of linen but to make the top of leather as one piece I am wondering how to get the right shape to fit? Any suggestions? (my sewing is crap so it will probably be my mum doing the sewing :D)
Attachments
bikini.jpg
bikini.jpg (2.79 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
bikin2.jpg
bikin2.jpg (4.31 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
We've got weather harder than you!

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

I would imagine that the top will improve in fit after a few wearings once it has stretched in all the right places! My guess is also that it will stretch overall, so you may need to make it a tiny bit tight, then wear it and deliberately stretch the parts that need it. There arent any extant examples are there, just the mosaic details, so its not known whether they are long bindings like the linen ones that you can wrap under and over the bust to stop it slipping down, or if its just one piece. Assuming that in leather its one broad strap, you may possibly want to consider whether some sort of dart will help hold it onto the bust, or whether tightness alone will do the trick. Have a sneaking feeling that you may only know once you've tried it! I have visions of those awful strapless bra things that absolutely refuse to stay up, but then again maybe in leather it will have enough 'grip' against the skin.

Good luck!

katy

Post by katy »

Thanks Sally, I was thinking that I will have to go with some kind of dart as I am not over blessed in size!

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

Another thought, if the leather is soft you can do a 'hem' by folding and glueing the leather (I'm pretty sure the museum replica of the knickers used that technique) and that also helps stop the top and bottom edge from stretching whilst allowing the main body to give. Not having a large bust will probably actually help a lot in this case, the bikini won't be fighting against all that movement when you're running round. You may be able to very slightly 'ease' (think almost invisible gather) the top edge by running a narrow strong linen cord into the hem as you fold it, to stop the top edge stretching in wear. That won't show in the finished item at all but may be sufficient to add that tiny bit of shaping. Try it with some scrap fabric to see what I mean before you cut into the leather.

caroline

Post by caroline »

Katy....DEFINITELY one for the pictures section!

You must...you must!!!!
Forget injuries, never forget kindness - Confucius

katy

Post by katy »

Ohhh Dont know if I'd dare Caroline! :lol:

caroline

Post by caroline »

[quote="katy"]Ohhh Dont know if I'd dare Caroline! :lol:[/quote]

Errr...katy...errr...since when were you the shy, retiring type???!!!

Tell ya what...you do leather bikini...I'll do wetsuit

(...well placed surfboard in my piccy though...thank God!)

Perhaps the other place instead?
Forget injuries, never forget kindness - Confucius

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

who ever made it has no idea about the actual shape of a woman
Maybe they weren't for a woman. Alexandra Crooms book on Roma costume has a bit about these 'briefs'. Try contacting her (Museum in Newcastle I think or via the Arbeia Society).)

tailordrews

Post by tailordrews »

Hi,
Sorry for intruding in this topic, just wanted to tell you that i have seen these bikini girls in real life, they are in the remains of a Roman Villa at Scicilly. They had the most amazing mosaiks i have ever seen before, and what a place it must have ben once. Ah to be able to turn back in history for a minute or two, i would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that Villa.

Bjarne
The world is in need of beauty! Embroider!

On the eight day, god created costumes and reenactors!