HNEFATAFL

Moderator: Moderators

Gullinbursti

HNEFATAFL

Postby Gullinbursti » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Does any one know a good source for a authentic replica of a hnefatafl game?
Bought one years ago from PAST TIMES but that is more or less only for use at home, and not at
events....Jelling Dragon has two listed since about January as "out of stock"
So I was wondering if there are any other sites that are recomendable?

Neil of Ormsheim

Re: HNEFATAFL

Postby Neil of Ormsheim » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:16 pm

It's easy enough to make your own. Rebate the required number of holes into a slab of wood, use a hot skewer to cortch in the corners and centre holes and by glass chip with one big marble for the king. Or, if your skint, start collecting sets of pebbles.

Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Postby Bad Viking » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:50 pm

My group make the most lush tafle boards ever - pm me your email and I will send you pics - we do all the lovely scroll and knotwork and do 9 / 11/ 13 sets as well - we also carve 'Kings' from bone and antler ! :D

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

Gullinbursti

Postby Gullinbursti » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:14 am

Neil of Ormsheim wrote:It's easy enough to make your own. Rebate the required number of holes into a slab of wood, use a hot skewer to cortch in the corners and centre holes and by glass chip with one big marble for the king. Or, if your skint, start collecting sets of pebbles.

That is not the problem, a wooden board and replica lewis chess men I have plenty as I have forms for the chess men.
My goal is to have a exact replica of a hnefatafl game that is found in a museum. As I like to be able to have exact referances for all my replicas I use.
A habbit I have from my time with the Company of Saint George.
I was thinking of these game pieces from grave 750 in Birka
and a fitting game board. That means something that jumped out of the book of Kells would not really be what I am after.
Only thing is I have no referances for game boards as of yet. Where they made of wood, leather, ceramic?
I am guessing I most likely have to look up some one who is into making glas beads for the figures and some one else for the game
board?

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:56 am

For the pieces, I'd recommend Tillerman beads, who made a glass set for me based on surviving examples.
http://www.tillermanbeads.co.uk/

As for the board, there's not a lot to go on. There are a few examples of the metal fittings from a board but the only I can think of which shows what a tafl board of the period might look like is the Balinderry Game Board.
Which does have Borre style interlace carved around the edge ,which dates it to the 9th-10th century

:)
Fitch.jpg

Of course, you could just scratch a game board into a handy stone surface. That's well attested throughout history.

"I never said that I was here to help."

kael

Postby kael » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:42 pm

My advice would be to avoid anything that looks like a chopping board attacked by a dremel, sets with elaborate pyrography, or anything too fancy really (eg, all glass sets, pewter or brass pieces, resin cast replicas almost always have mould lines and aren't to scale, or are based on 200 years too late pieces). Those glass pieces are certainly not everyday items (though they are really pretty and I have a 'mr jelly' king as he's awesome).

A simple wooden board (or one carved into the top of a chest, or chair, or stone), simple wooden pins, clay/stone pieces and MAYBE (only maybe) a nice looking king piece if you want to be representative.

edit... although if it's not for a re-enactment impression, go nuts!
Last edited by kael on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gullinbursti

Postby Gullinbursti » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:43 pm

kael wrote:What's the provenance for Viking-Age decretive scorching?

My advice would be to avoid anything that looks like a chopping board attacked by a dremel, sets with elaborate pyrography, or anything too fancy really (eg, all glass sets, pewter or brass pieces, resin cast replicas almost always have mould lines and aren't to scale, or are based on 200 years too late pieces). Those glass pieces are certainly not everyday items (though they are really pretty and I have a 'mr jelly' king as he's awesome).

A simple wooden board (or one carved into the top of a chest, or chair, or stone), simple wooden pins, clay/stone pieces and MAYBE (only maybe) a nice looking king piece if you want to be representative.

edit... although if it's not for a re-enactment impression, go nuts!

Well my main goal is to have referances to original pieces. I know at that period the glass game pieces would have been on the pricey end of things.
I am not certain if they will be used for displays as of yet, as I am almost at the end of my active time, been in the hobby now for almost 30 years.
But I view those replicas also as very decorative for at home, but with the option, if something really interesting comes along, to use for an event.

Yes I was thinking of a simpler board, but nothing that looks like it was pinched out of the kitchen :mm:
Sort of along the lines of nicely carved lines to make the square fields, otherwise let the wood (which should be a nice hard wood) be the decoration.

But even though it might never appear on events would make also a nice decoration for my blog which my wife is bugging me about.

As to the resin castings, well that depends what kind of forms you are using. For the Lewis chessmen I am using latex forms which are one piece
so no visable seems. But then they are a tad later.

Does anyone know how this board dates?
The original is supposeably from the Faroe Islands

kael

Postby kael » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:54 pm

I expect that's based ont he Toftanes Eysturoy excavation (10thC) - a board appears to have been carved into a platter or serving bowl, though it's criss-crossed pattern could be a board, it's very irregular. I don't believe any pieces were found with it.

Here's some (terrible webcam) photos:

(attached)

Photo on 09-10-2014 at 19.51.jpg
Last edited by kael on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kael

Postby kael » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:55 pm

Photo on 09-10-2014 at 19.52.jpg

Interestingly, my missus has just said that the possible hnefatafl board is actually on the back, and the front is a morris board.

The original is also missing the detailing which designated the starting positions of the pieces which is a common motif that the reconstruction there has. That's a nice bit of work. Imagining steak and board games - sounds like a good night!

Gullinbursti

Postby Gullinbursti » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:07 pm

kael wrote:
Photo on 09-10-2014 at 19.52.jpg

Interestingly, my missus has just said that the possible hnefatafl board is actually on the back, and the front is a morris board.

The original is also missing the latice work which designated the starting positions of the pieces which is a common motif that the reconstruction there has. That's a nice bit of work. Imagining steak and board games - sounds like a good night!

Yes she is right there are two game boards carved into it.
So it dates 10th century? Well that would fit nicely.
As I know where to get a good replica of it.
As I have the tools to make one myself but not the space, so I have to buy it.
With the space I have available only have the choice either goldsmiths workshop
or wood working.

May I be curious to ask from what book that information is?

kael

Postby kael » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Gullinbursti

Postby Gullinbursti » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:18 pm

kael wrote:It's out of 'From Viking to Crusader'

Thank you for the heads up on the book. Never can have enough books! :$

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:31 pm

What is a hnefatafal?

Gullinbursti

Postby Gullinbursti » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:35 pm

RyanA wrote:What is a hnefatafal?

A stratagie board game that was rather popular in northern Europe before chess came big into fashion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

Return to “410-1100”