Lunch?

Moderator: Moderators

ladydetemps

Lunch?

Postby ladydetemps » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:14 pm

This is going to sound a random question. But if you were travelling or spending the whole day 'out' how would a lady carry her lunch?
There is a reason for this question and you'll probably laugh at me. But I'm going to a comicon and its so expensive to buy food there I need to take a packed lunch...but I want something inline with my 'medieval' cosplay. I'll also be carrying money phone tickets etc. around all day. I'm gonna make a purse to carry the money. Its just the lunch that's got me stumped.

John Waller
Post Knight

Re: Lunch?

Postby John Waller » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:28 pm

ladydetemps wrote:This is going to sound a random question. But if you were travelling or spending the whole day 'out' how would a lady carry her lunch?
There is a reason for this question and you'll probably laugh at me. But I'm going to a comicon and its so expensive to buy food there I need to take a packed lunch...but I want something inline with my 'medieval' cosplay. I'll also be carrying money phone tickets etc. around all day. I'm gonna make a purse to carry the money. Its just the lunch that's got me stumped.

A lady would have someone carry it for her. :)

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:32 pm

John Waller wrote:
ladydetemps wrote:This is going to sound a random question. But if you were travelling or spending the whole day 'out' how would a lady carry her lunch?

A lady would have someone carry it for her. :)

How would her manservant carry it then? ;) I'm guessing it wouldn't be a plastic carrybag.

davetmoneyer

Postby davetmoneyer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:34 pm

I would assume a leather sholderbag/scrip would suit perfectly (I can fit a for pack and fishand chips in mine)

Regards Dave
Dave T Moneyer
perveyour of high quality cheap tat
Moneyer to the Bank of England
and the World
Regular prices for reasonable customers
http://www.grunal.com

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:12 pm

On the assumption of late medieval, Dave is correct, a satchel is one way of carrying it. Another is a basket, hand or back type. Or on a horse saddlebag or suchlike.

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 am

I've got a 'saddle type' handbag (modern) do you think that would 'pass'? Its comicon but I do want to try and get close enough to historical so it doesn't look like cheap fancy dress.

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Oh and this is my 'concept' idea of the outfit.
http://stitchintimeandspace.blogspot.co ... -idea.html

Thalion

Postby Thalion » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:38 pm

ladydetemps wrote:Oh and this is my 'concept' idea of the outfit.
http://stitchintimeandspace.blogspot.co ... -idea.html

Heard of "(The) Medieval Tailors Assistant"? It's a perfect book that has the common to elegant gowns, garments and robes (Not to mention surcoats, tunics ect ect) and talks you through each design from cutting the fabric to stitchings and laces. It's our bible for tailoring.

Regards,
Thalion.

Brother of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem.

Ordinis Hospitalis Sancti Johannis Jerusalem
Ava Crux Alba

Return to “1100-1500”