Not for those with weak stomachs....

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Not for those with weak stomachs....

Post by Simon Atford »

Siege warfare lesson 1: Don't try to knock down castle walls with your head.
Attachments
539519_10151028305568837_324490732_n.jpg

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Re: Not for those with weak stomachs....

Post by Simon Atford »

And another
Attachments
185064_10151028305783837_886817354_n.jpg

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

No fighting for me for the rest of the event so I manned the armour stall.
Attachments
284618_10151028296253837_1584011693_n.jpg

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Oh dear.

Which I bet is what you said when it happened. And possibly "flip".

Still, not going to knock any sense out.

Have a speedy recovery.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

I actually didn't realise how bad it was till the following morning. And then only when someone pointed out that my skull was visible :crazy:

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Surely you bled like a pig...?

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Scary biscuits!
But a seriously impressive scar 8-)
Hope it doesn't hurt as much as it looks like it should. :?
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Darren Macdonald

Post by Darren Macdonald »

Legend...
Paupere Commilitones de Temple Salomonique

Darren Macdonald Wedding Photographer

ForTheMarshal
Location: Birmingham for me, nationwide groups for the society - PM for details

Post by ForTheMarshal »

Come on then - how did you do it?
Click the image below for our website vvv
PM me if you have any questions or want to join/work with us

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

Fox wrote:Surely you bled like a pig...?
Very much so...
lucy the tudor wrote:Scary biscuits!
But a seriously impressive scar 8-)
Hope it doesn't hurt as much as it looks like it should. :?
No pain at all to speak of...
ForTheMarshal wrote:Come on then - how did you do it?
I banged my head against a wall at Caerphilly on Saturday night after a nights carousing in the Great Hall and then staggered off to bed. In the morning my clothes were soaked in blood and someone pointed out that my skull was exposed. I then spent a couple of hours in A&E getting patched up before being put on light duties for the rest of the event.

steven pole
Post Centurion

Post by steven pole »

Gadzooks! And all I do at events is occasionally stab my finger with a sewing awl.

ForTheMarshal
Location: Birmingham for me, nationwide groups for the society - PM for details

Post by ForTheMarshal »

Well, at least you chose a good site to bleed on...
Click the image below for our website vvv
PM me if you have any questions or want to join/work with us

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

I shall be showing off my scar at Caldicot next month if anyone wants a look :twisted:

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Excellent. I'll buy you drink, if you promise not fall over and bash your head...

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Simon Atford wrote:I shall be showing off my scar at Caldicot next month if anyone wants a look :twisted:
Count me in. 8-)
lucythetudor@gmail.com

Polaris-light

Post by Polaris-light »

:doh: :^) Perhaps not drinking to a virtual stupor should be your higher consideration, obviously so drunk you were unable to tend to a wound or even register the fact that it was quite a mess.
The staggering, more probably the drink, but after such a clash with a hard and uneven wall you in all probability were actually suffering from concussion as well.
Nobody noticed this mess, why because everyone was as drunk as each other or you were alone when this happened, for goodness sake do you realise just how lucky you are, some people have died with less of an outward show of a wound.
It is a massive head injury, this should be a wake up call, and perhaps you were lucky this time, albeit the scar is a talking point I suppose, it may have been better to have a fake one from a good retailer for authenticity rather than a one for life.
You said “I shall be showing off my scar at Caldicot next month if anyone wants a look”
Yes… hopefully passing a message to all and sundry, that this is a result of been so absolutely drunk and in such a stupor that I did not notice this until I woke up the next day covered in blood, and could have quite easily cost me my life. It could have been avoided if I’d abstained or drunk in moderation.
You can still enjoy your self and have a good time without being over indulgent.
The thought manifests as the word…The word formulates and expresses as the deed…The deed progresses into inclination….And the pattern strengthens into character…So watch the thought and its ways with care as it may well become an incident!

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

Fox wrote:Excellent. I'll buy you drink, if you promise not fall over and bash your head...
The rest of the CoC are threatening to get me a special "drinking helm" :devil:

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Post by lucy the tudor »

Really Polaris light?
:eh:
lucythetudor@gmail.com

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

Eh? :eh:

brander

Post by brander »

A bit of an OTT response, I fear. And a bit out of keeping with the normal tone of banter in here, serious though the injury may have been...
The protection, nurturing and forbearing of kin is praiseworthy.

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Post by Fox »

Polaris-light wrote: :doh: :^) Perhaps not drinking to a virtual stupor should be your higher consideration, obviously so drunk you were unable to tend to a wound or even register the fact that it was quite a mess..... etc. etc.
A staggering set of assumptions for a first post.

Perhaps he was very drunk.
But a simple fall, drunk or not, could cause all the trouble as described, especially if a concusion insued.
You have nothing but Simon's vague description of "carousing" on which to base your monologue.

Unless you were there....?

An odd introduction to the forum; but welcome nonetheless.

Victim

Post by Victim »

Simon Atford wrote:

I banged my head against a wall at Caerphilly on Saturday night after a nights carousing in the Great Hall and then staggered off to bed. In the morning my clothes were soaked in blood and someone pointed out that my skull was exposed. I then spent a couple of hours in A&E getting patched up before being put on light duties for the rest of the event.
Goodness ! I happened to be carousing in the very same Great Hall on Friday night, but no one managed anything quiet so spectacular. Had I known, I would have tried harder :D

Make a swift recovery, Old Chap, and next time, do try to be a little more caerphil :lol:
43rd Pennsylvania Volunteers
Kynges Ordynaunce - 'The Best Bang since the Big one'
9 Bty 3rd Batt. RA - Sandham's Company

Albus Currus Vir

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

Victim wrote:
Simon Atford wrote:

Goodness ! I happened to be carousing in the very same Great Hall on Friday night, but no one managed anything quiet so spectacular. Had I known, I would have tried harder :D

Make a swift recovery, Old Chap, and next time, do try to be a little more caerphil :lol:
I will. I'm guessing you were there for a wedding on Friday night?

craziequeen

Post by craziequeen »

I would like to point out that it is unlikely his re-enactment company will be permitting Simon to drink at Caldicot...and it may take a while for us to let him out of our sight... :roll:
Speaking as the person who accompanied him to A&E and monitored him through the rest of the weekend, I don't want to do that again :doh:

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

Fox wrote:
Polaris-light wrote: :doh: :^) Perhaps not drinking to a virtual stupor should be your higher consideration, obviously so drunk you were unable to tend to a wound or even register the fact that it was quite a mess..... etc. etc.
A staggering set of assumptions for a first post.

Perhaps he was very drunk.
But a simple fall, drunk or not, could cause all the trouble as described, especially if a concusion insued.
You have nothing but Simon's vague description of "carousing" on which to base your monologue.

Unless you were there....?

An odd introduction to the forum; but welcome nonetheless.
To be fair to Polaris-light I have already recieved similar advice and been told how lucky I was both by my freinds in the Company and the medical staff at the hospital. I did not however have concusion merely an excess of alcohol on the Saturday night and an acute sense of embarresment in the morning. Needless to say I stayed off the booze on Sunday night and resolved to take it steadier in future.

Handbag

Post by Handbag »

quite astounded we all were in the morning to seeing you sitting there somewhat nonchalant wondering why we were all making a fuss!! but thats you all over really!! when we investigated the next morning we discovered a trail leading from the wall to your tent, two blood soaked t-shirts and a messy tent! it seems you bashed it and in the dark thinking it was nothing decided to go and sleep, using the T-shirts to put against the wound!!

Im still amazed that you were in no pain and still werent after the anaesthetic had worn off from the stitches!!

I have to say its the worst injury ive seen in 10 yrs with the company, and the first serious before any fighting had commenced!! I dont even think you had drunk that much!!!

Phoenix Rising

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Speaking as a medic, have to admit that Polaris and others have been right - the result could have been a great deal worse. Wouldn't have been the first time that someone bumped their noggin, thought nothing of it and failed to wake up in the morning! Trouble with alcohol is its natural ability to act as an aneaesthetic, thus not only making sensation dulled but also tending to mask any potential signs / symptoms of the more serious stuff happening under the skull surface...result can be rather sad and a little disquieting for the patient, if no-one intervenes... ;(

Very glad that this wasn't the case with you, but as close shaves go its up there!

Mind you, does go to show that the old barber surgeons knew a thing ot two when they made sure their 'patient' was drunk before they began their ministrations!

P.R

Polaris-light

Post by Polaris-light »

:^) Sorry… but I did not make any assumptions at all, it was based upon the evidence presented…and I was right. Thank you Simon for clarifying the details and like phoenix rising, I am also medically trained as a trauma surgeon with field experience, so I am well aware how quickly someone can die from head injuries.
The thought manifests as the word…The word formulates and expresses as the deed…The deed progresses into inclination….And the pattern strengthens into character…So watch the thought and its ways with care as it may well become an incident!

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Post by Simon Atford »

All banter aside I am aware of how lucky I am that it wasn't much, much worse. I was told as much by the trauma doctor in A&E. The fact that all I got was an impressive skar has allowed me to learn a valuable life lesson.
Handbag wrote:
I have to say its the worst injury ive seen in 10 yrs with the company, and the first serious before any fighting had commenced!! I dont even think you had drunk that much!!!
No more than usual Hannah. Whilst alcohol was a factor in this I have always been rather accident prone although I also seem to be rather resistant to physical injury. How I never broke any bones as a kid I'll never know.