Scabbard Chapes

Moderator: Moderators

Phoenix Rising

Scabbard Chapes

Postby Phoenix Rising » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Been making my own wood-core scabbard for an arming sword and everything has gione quite well up until the point of trying to make the chape for its end. Have tried playing around with some sheet brass buit can't get things to go right and its getting annoying! Had thought about perhaps using copper as it should be more malleable?

Does anyone have any suggestions for easy ways to make one, or does anyone know if historically, instead of a metal chape another piece of leather might have been used to re-enforce the tip? Just wondered, as the character I portray is not a knight, merely a lowly archer, so no' much money as a lord for my weapons!

Thanks,

PR

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Re: Scabbard Chapes

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:08 pm

AFAIK it was always a metal chape (if anything).

You might be able to get a friendly metal-worker to help. Failing that, as the Iron Dwarf about tools. I suspect that having the right anvil is the answer.

Best wishes

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:22 pm

I used a metal one from Two Js on the wooden core scabbard for my falchion. Only a few quid.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Phoenix Rising

Postby Phoenix Rising » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Cheers folks - sorry about not replying sooner but been away. Gave up in the end trying to do a metal one, need more skill to do this than I have, plus access to tools etc, and although the 2 J's are good (just got a sword belt from them) the chape they had wouldn't have worked on my scabbard.

What I have done seems to work well - took the same leather I used to cover the wooden core and made a 'cap' out of it, then used some bronze upholstery tacks at the top of it to secure it. Looks very workmanlike and very tough with it, which goes along with the 'archer' persona I have.

One lives and learns... :)

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Return to “1100-1500”