Fabric leg armour.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave B
Post Knight

Fabric leg armour.

Post by Dave B »

What do people know about fabric leg armour for the WOTR period.

I've pretty much always faught in just hose and a jack, but after many years of this I've taken a lot of damage to the front of my shinbones, and would like some protection. I've got full plate legs, but I'd preffer not to use them as I think they are probably over-represented - and slightly odd unless you have the back and breast on as well.

I've seen people wearing padded hose, and from a practical point of view that looks like the thing, and I could hide modern shinpads in it if I needed to, but I'm not sure I've seen sources for this sort of leg protection in the 15thC?
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Tiddles

Re: Fabric leg armour.

Post by Tiddles »

This will protect the upper leg and knee http://www.theknightshop.co.uk/catalog/ ... -2611.html
I have seen padded lower leg protection from a diferant trader. Will keep looking.

Graham Ashford

Post by Graham Ashford »

If you went for gamboised legs like suggested above you could wear shynbalds with them, that way you are different enough to the full plate boys but will have shins at the end of a weekend ... if you wanted to go to town you could wear maille under the legs and onto your shins? Just an idea?

Hope this helps.

Graham

EDIT: Just reread your post and noticed the WOTR timeline, so the shynbald, gamboised leg wouldn't be such good advice ... sorry.
Last edited by Graham Ashford on Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Those look like the gambonised cuisse that appear in the later 13th C and dissapear just after the middle of the 14th C (is that right?). I'm not aware of any fabric armour for the legs in the 15th C.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

Colin is right, you are a good hundred years out with that Knight Shop Item. There is no evidence I'm aware of for any kind of padded armour worn directly on the leg WOTR era. Mail, brigandine tasets and similar stuff dangling from the waist but nothing apart from harness on the legs. Scant evidence for leather by that point to, mostly plate.
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

cloudy-cola-corp

Post by cloudy-cola-corp »

i've seen some things that are like a pair of slightly too loose closed hose with padding inside them so imagine hose but lined and with that cheep wool blanket stuff inside I don't use them and i can't say that i think there is evidence to support them but they look pretty much like normal hose rather than a specificaly padded garment with that touch of added protection ? but like i said i don't wear them or know of evidence so make your own judgements on that idea

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

i've seen some things that are like a pair of slightly too loose closed hose with padding inside them so imagine hose but lined and with that cheep wool blanket stuff inside
be interested to know the source obviously. Sounds like you've seen them on a re-enactor?
There is no evidence I'm aware of for any kind of padded armour worn directly on the leg WOTR era
I stand by that. Leg armour wa certainly lined and in later, we are talking mid 16th onwards, much armour had quilted padding inside certain items of harness and there is even a late 16th/early 17th cent 'arming partlet' described but in the WOTR, it's hose and that's your lot.
http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

cloudy-cola-corp

Post by cloudy-cola-corp »

they where on a reenactor but it was ages ago and i can't remember who or where i saw them

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

well I think you'd be wise to ignore that and see if you can find anything else from primary sources.

4There are certainly arming hose visible in some paintings, but these are to help with the wearing of plate leg defences, not armour in their own right.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Mark Griffin wrote:There are certainly arming hose visible in some paintings, but these are to help with the wearing of
plate leg defences, not armour in their own right.
Could you point us toward some of those pictures? It's not something that I've ever noticed!

Many thanks
Colin

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

There is a portuguese altarpiece with the clearest, almost photographic depiction. Once, I've cleared the snow drifts, loaded the van, done the weekend events and come back I'll dig it out. Its got leather strips like a burgundian style arming doublet plus natty leather knee patches and points here and there.

Jim Smith

Post by Jim Smith »

Hi Dave

Griff has already disposed of any Heath-Robinson style solution, but what about a pair of leather boots? There are plenty of calf length WoTR examples to choose from.
"I hold it to be of great prudence for men to abstain from threats and
insulting words towards any one, for neither the one nor the other in any
way diminishes the strength of the enemy." Niccolo Machiavelli

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

its difficult to prove that's a period solution either way Jim. Can't prove they did, as the armour covers up the evidence, but can't really prove they didn't. My feeling is its a reenactorism. No way I'd want bunched up leather under my harness.

Apart from blanket wraps around ankles and knees (as per the Hastings MS for example) and the aforementioned arming hose the solution is well made leg harness or hide behind a wall...

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Over the weekend, I was flicking through some books and I kept spotting these items that looked like brigandine work cuise. Does anyone know much about such items? Not that it helps Dave B much as it still only covers the thighs.

Colin
Colin

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Post by Mark Griffin »

thee are certainly representations of brigandine cuisse and tassets about.