Sourcing a 14th century Crossbow

Moderator: Moderators

Recon39

Sourcing a 14th century Crossbow

Post by Recon39 »

hi, i am fairly new to this site and not too active (my apologies) however after being at a few shows with my group (paladins of chivalry) i have developed a love for the crossbow and am looking for a fairly cheap one that fits my time period (14th century) although i am not to sure on were to start my search, any help on this, hopefully i will be at Tewksbury and kelmarsh this year but i would like to try and obtain one beforehand so i can get some practise in, so any information will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time
Last edited by Alice the Huswyf on Wed May 11, 2011 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: title amended to format requested in guidelines / moved from buy and sell section to preserve useful info

Hinny Annie

Re: Looking for 14th century Crossbow

Post by Hinny Annie »

Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Define cheap? For C14th you are probably looking at a wooden or composite stave not steel. You could cheat and use a fibreglass prod suitably disguised.

I got a steel x-bow from Steve at Ancient Battle Crafts at the last Blore for a very reasonable £125. It's a bit rough, but you get what you pay for.

Apart from Arbalist have a drool over Todsstuff www.todsstuff.co.uk and Replica Crossbow World http://replicacrossbowworld.com/gal2.html#nogo
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

You can buy the steel bits to make one from Alchem in the states but would need to make the stock and nut. Draw weights range from 80 to 250lb but the higher powered ones trash quarrels and go through archery nets.

sparky

Post by sparky »

You could also try http://www.fairbowuk.com/ james is doing some nice crossbows with wooden prods.

Mark
Chanz De Reis 12th Century Living History Group
501st Uk Garrison Star Wars Group

Recon39

Re: WANTED: Looking for 14th century Crossbow

Post by Recon39 »

Thank you all for your replies, in regards to price, i am looking for something around £200, so sadley nothing too fancy.
although i would love one from tod, i had a good look at the replica crossbow world however i was not able to find the prices. But thank you all very much so far, getting really excited about my crossbow to be :D

wwebb

Re: Sourcing a 14th century Crossbow

Post by wwebb »

Try the Excalibur crossbows its more accurate and efficient, but I think its more expensive than the other one.
Police breached the rights of a man arrested with a cross bow near the G20 security fence when they questioned him without a lawyer present, a judge has ruled.