Interesting bucket?

Historic questions, thoughts and other interesting stuff

Moderator: Moderators

Christabel

Interesting bucket?

Postby Christabel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:52 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-16th-Century ... 3f094244d2

My first thought was, another of those Chinese buckets you find in antique centres, but I'm not sure now. I have never seen a weighted bucket like this, so is it English and how old is it? It seems like a good idea, in any case.

Chris T

Re: Interesting bucket?

Postby Chris T » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:27 pm

Difficult to be sure, but my first thought was mining, rather than well........a well bucket is normally dropped into water from a fairly low height, the amount of re-enforcing on this one makes it look as if it was designed for rougher handling. If so, it would be called a kibble in my part of the world (Westcountry).

Tom H

Postby Tom H » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:54 pm

The construction, with the folded over flat nails and the style & colouring of the planking looks exactly like the buckets being sold a couple of years ago at TORM, although the shape is different. Looks 21st century to me.

Chris T

Postby Chris T » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 am

I think it has some age to it: at base it is fairly well made, with considerable hand coopering skills. If it really is English Oak then I would say it is almost certainly old (although maybe not Elizabethan.....but who knows?).

I would say the money being asked is rather a lot: but then I am poor, tight and cynical. I would certainly expect to see considerably more proof that it is all that it says it is before parting with that ammount of money......

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:09 pm

does not look as interesting as the bucket that saved someones awning at an event last year by pouring water on it when it caught fire

Christabel

Postby Christabel » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:56 pm

So William Morris might have said "Have no bucket in your tent unless you believe it to be beautiful or know it to be useful?'

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun May 29, 2011 8:07 pm

Iron Dwarf- and it was Bucket doing the pouring from the bucket too...that was an interesting episode, lucky we happened to have a giant around to act as fireBucket.
ETA- he is quite useful and I think he's a bit beautiful, specially in his banyan.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Return to “General History”