Vainly me.

Yourselves, events, parties, costumes...

Moderator: Moderators

Lord Byron
Absolute Wizard

Re: Vainly me.

Postby Lord Byron » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Miss Costello wrote:I thought he was trying to be costructive, could certainly see no malice in his post Steenie.
K

Thanks Miss Costello, that is certainly my intent :thumbup:

"If I am a fool it is, at least, a doubting one; and I envy no-one the certainty of his self-approved wisdom".

Maker of reproduction WW1 and WW2 paperwork, eg 1915 AB64's, Officer's AB439's, Memorial Scrolls, etc:

http://www.thefunkhole.co.uk/

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Lydia, a nice bit of symbiotics there :)

I must admit, whilst I spend too much time in the saddle, I sit at the feet of those that have gone before. Unlike other men who wake their wife in the middle of the night for more carnal things, my wife will tell you, it has not been unknown for me to awake her saying something like; wow you have to read this!! Isn't Louis Nolan a master!!!! I will try that system out tomorrow!!! or, doesn't this prove what I have been saying about the movement of a squadron of cavalry in the field??

No, I am not near divorce :D

You girls say you have problems with getting into the saddle. This maybe true but the mounted element of a Cavalry Unit stands on the ground crew that allow it to ride.My Unit is not a display unit, it is a true volunteer cavalry unit with most of the 'doers' being women. Ofcourse, if we ever had to do a true period event linked to a time that didn't have women riders, it is my women members who say they wont ride but will support the men. However, if we decided to be move in the field or do something like a river crossing in depth, then I as the OC has no interest (and nor should I), in the contents of my troopers breeches.

Let me give you an example. My unit went to Poland a few years ago with their volunteer cavalry (best in the world!!!!). In the morning we went on an exercise through a forest (west prussia), to learn orienteering skills. We covered 23 miles in the morning. After lunch, I was asked if I wanted to go out on an officers ride. We covered another 40 miles in the day, on the same horse, using cavalry husbanding which meant our horses came in strong if not sparkling. My team were waiting for me (with an oxygen mask no lol), to support me. They saluted, not because they had to but they wanted to and then took my helmet when I dismounted and gave me my cap. It was a victory for the Unit. A fantastic effort by all and a level of pride in such company that we all had earned.

We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Here is my new guy when he was racing season before last. The Bay in front on the right. He is a champion point to pointer. A 16:3 hhs TB. A very clever boy and a horse I have so much hope for in eventing and military competition
Attachments
Brookie.jpg

We feast upon those that seek to subdue us. (Adams Family motto but suits my family exactly)

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:23 pm

Lydia? either a nice bit of detective work or you know too much...

I'd love to be ground crew, actually I have about 5 years worth of riding experience but no stable management skills whatsoever. So I am a bit of a lost cause!

do you just collect horses? :lol: thoroughbreds are beautiful horses but I don't think I could handle one! what do you look for in a horse to be useful for military events?

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:55 pm

I DONT just collect horses lol. I have a simple rule about them. If a horse has been good for me. Has shown enough grace to let me ride him. He has done his best to keep me safe and has, as much as a horse can, loved me. Then he will always stay with me. No matter if he cannot do what I want of him anymore, I will still make him think he can and allow him honour and 'face' into his dottage> This means my stables are full of very old horses who are full of sh** and think they can still jump the world. lol

I Look for well horses, horses that have good conformation as a failure in this will mean a failure in the end. A brave horse but an honourable horse. A horse that may not be friendly to me at first but I can see, once we become friends we will make a better team together than we do apart. Even a horse who is a bit of a sod in the initial handling may get a credit as I know, in the end he will be good for me in the end. A horse who can run at speed as slow horses can pull carts, good looking horses who have presence, good stamina and the ability to shine through being tired in his belief in himself. A horse that smells right. a horse that, in the initial stages scares me as this makes me realise I am getting old and I need to get a grip, a horse that tests me and and him but will come good in the end. A horse when it is happy makes me feel happy and when I am happy makes him feel happy. Not just a bastard!

Oh and just my personal opinion I wouldn't give you tuppence for a coloured horse as they are devils spawn and never met one i have got into their heads. The only thing that should be black and white is a steak before it is peeled.

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:09 pm

My new boy needed work. He was great in a straight line but that was it. he couldn't even back let alone ride a collected 20 M circle. As for working on th ebit collected that was a silly thing to ask of him. Anyway here are a few more pics of him as we work towards brilliance :D

The first one is of him in his military field kit. It is Officers kit of Yeomanry, the second picture is of him last week being supported by a plank along his legs, but showing he is changing his shape in both outline and body.
Attachments
300120115462.jpg
Brooklet1.jpg
Brooklet1.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 3721 times

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Here is another of my boys! He is Lloyd a true 16:00 hhs black horse, hence the name. He lives in my dining room, as he is house trained which is rare in a horse.
Attachments
1.jpg

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 pm

lidimy wrote:Lydia? either a nice bit of detective work or you know too much...

I'd love to be ground crew, actually I have about 5 years worth of riding experience but no stable management skills whatsoever. So I am a bit of a lost cause!

do you just collect horses? :lol: thoroughbreds are beautiful horses but I don't think I could handle one! what do you look for in a horse to be useful for military events?

Lydia,

Here is a horse I was thinking of buyng but I am not too sure. What do you think?
Attachments
horse_wtf1.gif
horse_wtf1.gif (176.18 KiB) Viewed 3692 times

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:30 am

To be honest I think the quadriped variety are a bit more secure under the saddle!!

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:34 am

lidimy wrote:To be honest I think the quadriped variety are a bit more secure under the saddle!!

Lidimy,

You are probably right! I shall give this guy a miss then. Thankyou :thumbup:

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:46 pm

I have some terrible news for you, Mr Steenie. I fear that your Lloyds horse may have a condition that is known in that trade as, 'being plastic'. While he will retain his youthful good looks indefinitely, he will be no good whatsoever for riding and may succumb to Dust.

As far as piebalds are concerned, I think that they are beautiful and striking horses to look at but it was a piebald with blue eyes that dumped me and nearly broke my neck...bloody magpie horses!
Your beasties are gorgeous; I love the Clydesdale/tb. It reminds me of Bucket's Shire/tb mare, but your lad has a slightly more 'working horse' face, and he is a bit more powerfully built. I've not been airside in a couple of years (lost my nerve) but love commentating the occasional cav display and joust and working with the horses at some of the muddyevil shows.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Cat,

Made of plastic you say!!!!! :o I thought he was just quiet!! :o No wonder he is off his feed!! :sick:

the real lord duvet

Postby the real lord duvet » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:15 pm

STAN old chap lovely horse but don't you think you are just that bit too old to be a soldier? nothing worse that a reenactor couldnt pass the recruitment sgt and the medical at the recruitment office of the day (and for God sake it was lacks enough), they cannot be a reenactment soldier. If they are it is not authentic nor respectful.

AFterall isn't it best 9to save your hobby from those that think you are silly.

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Magpies are pretty though :)

A friend of mine, who had a piebald, when I clipped it, wanted me to clip the white bits and leave the black bits. Looked bloody awful but he was happy :D

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 pm

lidimy,

I note that some of you are interested in ground crew. we have events this year where we really need support. including a lot of international events.

Ontop of this, we are looking to put forward a Quadrille onto the main circuit to see how we would fair against the 'civvie' world. Again, this requires so much ground support.

A good cavalry group is a bit like an iceberg. The bit on the surface is only there due to the mass that is holding it up. :thumbup:
Attachments
pp_can_39_sm1.jpg

STEENIE

Postby STEENIE » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:18 pm

It maybe of interest to know the level of fitness required to be a cavalryman in a living history group such as the one I am proud to be associated with (I am sure most are like this). All of the members must be able to sit a horse as if they were there. We aim on a strange twilight zone assumption. If you fell through a time warp and found yourself sitting in the saddle in 1918, unless someone asked you who you were, you would be able to carry out the days work. This would include all drill and distance covered, without being an obvious imposter. To achieve this, we have found owner riders are the best bet, as they can spend more time in the saddle at home than those who hire in their mounts. Nonetheless, we do have those that hire, but the effort they have to put in has to be higher as they have to make sure they also put the work in to keep fit and their skills sharp. However,this normally means that the level of riding is good. Ontop of this, we also urge our members to takteae onboard things as orienteering and signalling such as flags, and morse. This means they can work in the field in a Scout role.

A lot of our guys, besides the military mounted competitions, take part in civil disciplines, such as dressage, show jumping and cross country, eventing. This was standard practice for cavalry units in the last century and also gets our members and horses to shows on a regular basis to keep them accustomed to being there.

We also like to get out into the field taking part in campaign exercises. The standard march rate of the British Army, was 25 miles a day, day in day out, with forced marches of 50 miles. We expect all of the members who are riding to be able to achieve this. Therefore, this soon sorts out those who are fit from those that are not. It also has an effect on the waist-line :lol:

ken138888

Postby ken138888 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:57 am

Lol, Cool Pictures. :thumbup:

Return to “Pictures”