2011 Season question.

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Thomas Hylton

2011 Season question.

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:56 am

Just curious, what events for the 2011 season already have confirmed, or even provisional dates?

Just trying to plan out my year to come & thought that posting this question, may well also help some others on here, that may work odd rota systems that need plenty of advanced planning to sort out holidays or swaps.

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Sir Thomas Hylton

Re: 2011 Season question.

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:31 pm

Cheers Hamster, :thumbup: :D hmm, that one will involve quite a few swaps :( :? . btw, are there any plans for more going on on the battlefield through the day for us all to get involved with ?

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Sir Thomas Hylton wrote:btw, are there any plans for more going on on the battlefield through the day for us all to get involved with ?

Do you go down to the Abbey on Saturday Evening? That can always do with more bodies.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:28 am

Literally.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:16 am

Fox wrote:
Sir Thomas Hylton wrote:btw, are there any plans for more going on on the battlefield through the day for us all to get involved with ?

Do you go down to the Abbey on Saturday Evening? That can always do with more bodies.

Lol, we would have loved to have gone down to the Abbey this year, had we known about it, but the state we all came off the field after waiting round in muster in the heat as long as we did & the extended nature of the Battle in that same heat, were fit to collapse & nothing more I'm afraid.

Was just as well we were able to find a welcoming fire point with no fire retardant in, to cool down in :devil: :D Now that was nice.

Now, If I can get the time off work & am convinced there will be enough different things going on, on the field through the day, then if we know exactly where we are supposed to be on the evening, for the Abbey thing, wherever that may be I would actually for one like to do that.

Perhaps if the main battle is much earlier in the day, yes it would be an odd setup, but would get the public used to where living history is. And give the added advantage to be freshend up enough to enjoy an evening at the Abbey & the Town 8-)

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:40 pm

So basically reorganise the timetable of a longstanding event becuase you get tired and hot after the main display. As if others don't? Having the battle as a climax to the day keeps visitors on site and then the historical fall out is continued in town. The Battle re-enactment is undeniably a large part, but a part of a whole town festival.

Suggestions: Sleep well and rest in advance of the event. Drink lightly in the beer tent and don't stay up t'til silly wee hours. Plan your time well. Eat well but not heavily and in advance of muster. Drink plenty of water before you muster, as during is too late. Understand that tired and hot is the payback for extended heavy exercise and high adrenalin in a combat display .

It works.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Tomsk

Postby Tomsk » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:12 pm

..Or just join the artillery and watch the silly buggers run round in heavy armour for an hour in the hot sun,then stand down the guns near the end of the battle and take up melee weapons and find endless opponents who are happy to die against you just so they can cool down :P

Tomsk
(caution: This Tomsk may contain traces of port)
Kynges Ordynaunce
The borderers
43rd Pennsylvania Volunteer Reserve Artillery

"Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl" Frederick The Great

Ranger Smith

Postby Ranger Smith » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:56 am

I'm not sure where you were plenty to do at Tewkes even if it is just stand and gawp

The battle is the cumulation of the whole day so it needs to be towards the end to keep the punters there and spending.

Agree that the muster is a long time to wait, even so some people can't even get there in that aloted time frame and turn up later than they should. It takes an inordenate amount of time to gather everyone up and perform weapon checks etc I am sure the organisers would reduce the length of time for muster if they could guarentee everyone turning up on time having checked their weapons for obviouse defects and burs thus reducing the work load on the marshals. This is realy down to us (the participants) getting our collective arses in order although I suspect this is easier said than done. From what I can gather most of the participants who got into difficulty with the weather either over embibed the previous day, or didnt take on enough fluids which is frankly daft and self inflicted given the conditions.

I am also sure that the organisers would welcome your offers of help and support as it is difficult to get helpers for large events like this. As a suggestion how about you organise and put on some "living History"/senarios for the public, during the day, whilst you are 'fresh' and then that way there is no need to re-organise the entire event. I am sure this would give added value to the public wondering around and would keep you buisy during the day and would probably be welcomed by the organisers, if it was done tastefully and paid homage to the historical aspects of the festival.

The events at the Abbey and requests for supporters are anounced at the captains meeting in the morning, so if you are not finding out about it I would seariously take it up with your captain as information isn't getting through to you, you may also be missing other important information too.

As for dealing with the heat other than what has been previously suggested the only other things I can think of without completley re-organising a well established event are;

1. Get a time machine and bring your younger self into the future.
2. A Punka Walla to follow you around with a sun shade.
3. Fit your armour with a cooling system out of a fridge.
4. Spend most of the of the year training and wearing your kit so you get used to it and increase your stamina. Take every opportunity to stand sit in the
shade during the muster. Maybe wear a livery coat over your shiny stuff (another layer I know but cuts down of heat transmission through your tin). Take
every opportunity to take on board fluids .
5. Follow the rules in Zombieland ((with the exeption of the double tap(unless you are a Yorkist of course)) Cardio and Limbering up may be good ones).

I think 4 is your best option but may be the hardest to acheive

Poking Badgers with spoons since 1471

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:07 am

Alice the Huswyf wrote:So basically reorganise the timetable of a longstanding event becuase you get tired and hot after the main display. As if others don't? Having the battle as a climax to the day keeps visitors on site and then the historical fall out is continued in town. The Battle re-enactment is undeniably a large part, but a part of a whole town festival.

Suggestions: Sleep well and rest in advance of the event. Drink lightly in the beer tent and don't stay up t'til silly wee hours. Plan your time well. Eat well but not heavily and in advance of muster. Drink plenty of water before you muster, as during is too late. Understand that tired and hot is the payback for extended heavy exercise and high adrenalin in a combat display .

It works.

Yep fair point about the battle being a main point to a day, though it did seem to be about the only draw to that side of the festival with little else of interest in the field, where everyone was expected to wait around till the end of the day for anything to occur.

On the positive side it did mean we got to go around the market considerably more than would be usual at such an event. :rock:

As it happens we did all that was in your second paragraph. i.e. keeping out of the beer tent & getting to bed at sensible hour, water was taken on in small& regular amounts before & during muster.

However, & here is the big however, & its to do with the fact that:

a) it was unusually hot
b) we were kept in muster well over an hour in that heat. essentially everyone desalenated on the field as we all were able to take on replacement fluids but unable to replace salts.
c) the battle in 2010 was unusually long & drawn out. Yes there were reasons for this admittedly. Ironically our battle lasted longer than the real thing by all accounts.

All this & its no fault of the organisers led to many in no fit state for anything else.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Thomas is correct on the long muster, nobody's fault. A MOP had to be ambulanced off from the crowd IIRC, so we had to wait until that had happened safely.

The battle was long (hoorah!). If the muster had been the normal length of time this wouldn't have been a problem, as it was a lot of us suffered a bit more than usual post-battle. The water carriers did an awesome job by the way, and there were plenty of chances to drink on the field.

I keeled over and slept for 2 hours once Bucket had peeled me out of my armour and given me cooling drinks. It was that weird, 'weak as a kitten' sleep so I know it was down to the heat. I may choose to do the Abbey stuff over the battle next year if it's as hot, as I love the atmosphere of it.

Failing that, I'll have to get me one o' them thar punkah wallas to bring me a chota peg mid battle, and fan me between pushes. Defnutly need to keep the battle at the end of the day to keep the public on site. Bucket has told me of the occasion many years ago 'when Tewkesbury was at Worcester racecourse' when the battle was postponed 'til 7 pm cos of the heat, and folks were coming off the field with scald marks from where sweat had begun to boil inside gorgets and bevors... :?

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:58 pm

"the state we all came off the field after waiting round in muster in the heat as long as we did & the extended nature of the Battle in that same heat, were fit to collapse & nothing more I'm afraid."

A note in general about re-enactment events; You can't choose to do the bits that suit; if re-enactors are booked to do display X,Y and Z then that is what is expected - and if conditions are too dangerous, then display X1, Y1 and Z1 have to be offered instead; you can't just say 'we're a bit tired /wet / hot so we're not providing any displays'. That is what taking a booking entails, even if you are not paid and are accepting benefits in lieu , but I'm afraid that it all goes with the territory .

Tewksbury is the battle and market and differs from many other events and event expectations. At Tewksbury you are provided with camping space, parking space, and services like the availablity of on site caterers and an after hours party venue in return for your participation. If you want the good bits of the hobby, then I am afraid you have to take the less convenient bits with it. And if you can't do without salt for a couple of hours either carry some with you, or understand that you have overestimated your level of health and suitability for the field and should not be on it.

There have been longer wait times in hotter summers than this. And longer in colder and wetter. Musters and inspections are done to regulate your safety and if you want to do an event with only 20 participants, they will obviously be much shorter............but if you want to take part in the largest WOTR muster in the country, with groups coming from the continent to take part, then you have to expect a longer wait.

We all toughen up to requirements and start to understand why certain thing are done in a certain way as we get further seasons under our belts. We also all start catch a glimpse of what is required to organise an event, which has to satisfy so many different requirements that it would make your hair stand on end. If I sit down and think about it, it would raise mine and I have organised a variety of things prior to reenactment. Tewksbury is the biggest gathering for this period and the administration required is massive - how many of us have any idea of the hoops that have to be jumped for the visitor's safety on site or the suitability of the campsites before they even start on the battle risk assessment? Some suggestions can be useful, some are well-meant but unthinking.

The other options are SCA which can be done indoors or LARPing which can be organised to the participants general convenience, because you don't have to satisfy the expectations of spectators and you pay a fee to have the event organised for your entertainment.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:53 pm

I have no time for hangers-on at any event (except for the bored teenagers who aren't allowed to stay home alone yet), however at an event as large as Tewks providing you do something positive to contribute to the spectacle, I believe that you have as much right to participate in the camping and festivity as anybody else.
If this were not the case then the L/H dancing groups would have to tin up and take the field, attendance at the executions would be compulsory and we'd all have to morris dance and sell jerky too, say.
I am being bloody ridiculous here, but can you see what I'm getting at? It may be better in a particularly hot or wet year to have 25 less troop on the field on the Saturday so that we can have 25 fresh for the Abbey executions. It's why I don't often take the field at Berkeley recently- I am tied up with commentary or helping with the riders and have been sorting that part of the show out since fairly early in the morning. Sometimes you can't do it all.
At a smaller event however, I agree with Alice's comments.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:50 pm

As we know, Cat, Tewksbury is a case aside and your third para sums up neatly what I have been failing to get across. Event priorities rather than personal preference all the time.

Every cloud has a silver lining - but every silver lining involves some cloud; a conveniently forgettable balance. I find myself sensitive to the expectation of spoon feeding and cherry picking that is becoming more general in modern life. A conversation for elsewhere.

PS: your 'by extension' is, as you say, ridiculous; for a little bird tells me that if we let the belly dancers on the field it would get really bloody - there have been schisms and deep opinions a-tween the tribal dancers and the ethnics. They don't need tin: you can do real damage with sharpened finger cymbals, while coined hip scarves are lethal when flicked.

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:40 am

Nowt wrong with belly dancers, anyway, we've allowed ourselves to get suitably Off topic.

But either way, before getting back on topic;

If things are quite as hot next season at Tewkes' I might on the Saturday, take to the archers line, would mean the water carriers would need to be somewhat less concerned about how red I'd gone, blood pressure going through the roof. That way, can do something else I also enjoy, even though would not consider myself an archer. And is something I tend not to at these events. With the added advantage as will then feel able especially as I now know about the Abbey, though will need more information about what is needed & directions etc.

Then March into the thick of it on the Sunday.

btw & this is a question for Hamster, are there any plans for any firepower displays so we can Tin up & put ourselves in harms way for the archers.

oh & Note to Alice, yep agree & cheers, had already made a mental note to feed myself lots of salt containing rubbish prior to going on at future events that involve unusually hot weather :$ 8-) whilst re-enacting a time period that was going through a mini iceage lol. :shh:

Right, back to topic & what events for 2011 are there dates for, as per original question.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:18 pm

Staying off topic. :twisted:

If you're having problems with salt levels, take some salted nuts with you to comp on at muster. Salt, protine and a bit of energy.
If the heat is a problem, do actually consider starting to arm earlier and taking more time over it. It lets your body adjust a bit more. Also, make sure that you're at muster in plenty of time, rather than having to rush (which raises your temprature and stress levels). But always drink plenty while doing this.
If you're too hot on the field, die! I went on the first battle at Bosworth a couple of years back having run round like a mad thing, staggered up to the Lancastiran line and gasped "kill me", which they obligingly did. Didn't look too bad for the MOPs (I hope) and dealt with the fact that I was incapable of continuing.
Details of the abbey are handed out at the captain's meeting. Either follow your captain, or ask him to get the information.
There used to be loads of other things going on during the day at Tewkesbury, on and off the battlefield. Kid's battle and archery competitions being two that I can remember. They fill the time to the battle and you've usually got a couple of hours between battle and abbey fight.

Best wishes

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:51 pm

Colin Middleton wrote:Staying off topic. :twisted:
That's alright Colin, don't mind your imputat all.

Colin Middleton wrote:If you're having problems with salt levels, take some salted nuts with you to comp on at muster. Salt, protine and a bit of energy.

Yep, that's what I came to the conclusion of by the end of the tekes event and will be doing in 2011, no matter what it does tomy digestive system as I love nuts :devil: :D 8-)

Colin Middleton wrote:If the heat is a problem, do actually consider starting to arm earlier and taking more time over it. It lets your body adjust a bit more. Also, make sure that you're at muster in plenty of time, rather than having to rush (which raises your temprature and stress levels). But always drink plenty while doing this.
indeed. Although preaching to the usually converted, this is apreciated. Something I try to do though will admit to not following this at Mortimer's long story. At Tewkes was kitted up in plenty of time on first day & up at muster point in plenty of time, early infact. Then preceded to cook, even though taking on fluids as we stood round. Second day, found nice spot in shade to wait. whilst entertaining the public with much better result. :rock:

Thing is by the end of the Saturday afternoon when we went on I think a lot of us, myself included, were already suffering mild heatstroke before even kitting up, never mind the wait around. So if volenteers are wanted to help with weapons checks I'd happily put my name forward, if it gets us sorted quicker.

Colin Middleton wrote:If you're too hot on the field, die!
Yep did this at Tewkes, though it didn't help much. Mainly as had left it too long to be convincingly taken down. Actually had less energy when I eventually got up than when I went down & continued cooking on the ground.

Colin Middleton wrote:I went on the first battle at Bosworth a couple of years back having run round like a mad thing, staggered up to the Lancastiran line and gasped "kill me", which they obligingly did. Didn't look too bad for the MOPs (I hope) and dealt with the fact that I was incapable of continuing.
Nice one 8-) 8-) 8-)

Colin Middleton wrote:Details of the abbey are handed out at the captain's meeting. Either follow your captain, or ask him to get the information.
okay, cheers. or sit in at captains meeting :wink:

Colin Middleton wrote:There used to be loads of other things going on during the day at Tewkesbury, on and off the battlefield. Kid's battle and archery competitions being two that I can remember. They fill the time to the battle and you've usually got a couple of hours between battle and abbey fight.

Best wishes

I thank you. :thumbup:

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:17 am

Plantagenet Events will be running 4 main events in 2011.

Tatton Park 18th & 19th June
We return again to the Old Hall at Tatton Park for this long running and popular event.
I'd like to thank everyone who has attended over the years: you have contributed significantly to restorations in the Old Hall and keeping it open to the public. I know the management there are looking forward to your continued support.

Macclesfield Charter 750 16th & 17th July
A special one off event to celebrate the 750th Anniversary of the Charter of the Town of Macclesfield.
The event will, as you'd expect, feature Jousting, Black Powder displays, Historical Market, Musicians and a Battle as well as host of other displays and demonstrations from 13thC, 14thC and 15thC
There will be a particuarly focus on the history of Cheshire Archer across that period, and archery in general.

The Berkeley Skirmish 30th & 31st July
It's now three years since Plantagenent Events returned medieval re-enactment to this popular site.
For it's fourth run, The Berkeley Skirmish will feature even more displays and entertainments then ever before.
Who know's what I'll get to blow up this year? :D

Lincoln Castle 13th & 14th August
The full details of this event are yet to be confirmed, but a return to the Lincoln Castle is planned.
Artisans, Soldiers and common folk prepare Lincoln Castle for a seige.

Contact Plantagenet Events for more details.
Last edited by Fox on Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:25 am

Cheers Fox 8-)
PM sent. :coffee:

Hellequin

Postby Hellequin » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:55 am

Sir Thomas Hylton wrote:Yep fair point about the battle being a main point to a day, though it did seem to be about the only draw to that side of the festival with little else of interest in the field, where everyone was expected to wait around till the end of the day for anything to occur.

On the positive side it did mean we got to go around the market considerably more than would be usual at such an event. :rock:

Get on the LH side then.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Normally that would have been the case, confusion reigned and when the Woodvilles got their camping sorted we ended up being put in the plastic section. Not a fault of the organisation team but of a mis-communiction between us and them.
When we got there they were wanting us to switch to the King's camp and join with God's Co. but we'd already set up and some, like Heeney had bought a plastic tent especially for the event (most have got authentic tents only you see.)
It'll be all sorted by the time we are next back in 2012.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:some, like Heeney had bought a plastic tent especially for the event (most have got authentic tents only you see.)

:eh: I don't have a plastic tent either, and I am regularly camped on the plastic site.
There's not a minimum standard for plastic camping on most sites.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:57 am

Ah but then some, like Heeney though why bother bring all the LH stuff if we're not going to be seen. Hence the purchase of a tent.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “1100-1500”