Detective work

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Grania

Detective work

Postby Grania » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi all

I'm currently volunteering at a National Trust property and have been given some detective work to do.

In the collection of clothes etc at the property (I think on loan or something from a member of the family who's house it was/is) is an ornately embroidered jacket, apparently in a victorian style, although I haven't seen it so I can't tell you much more about it. Inside this jacket apparently is a label stating 'Russell and Allan 18 Old Bond Street'. What my boss has asked me to do is find out who Russell and Allan (could be Allen, but Allan is what I have written down) were, for example were they simply outfitters, a fashionable establishment etc? An internet search has told me nothing except that 18 Old Bond Street is now Prada.

Does anyone have any info/knowledge or suggestions? Anyone know where I might be able to look for more details? I know it's a bit of a cheek, but I thought I'd ask just in case as I've always been utterly useless at interent searches!

Thanks ever so much
G

"...I hear your voice calling, through the silence of time..."

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

the real lord duvet

Re: Detective work

Postby the real lord duvet » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 pm

manchester galleries have a dress they made worn by mrs asquith.

They were what we call tailors or dressmakers.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:27 pm

a bit of detail here
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsite ... ?img_id=48

Shows they were a bit more than a dress maker

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Grania

Postby Grania » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Thanks :D I thought they must be more than an ordinary dressmaker - partly because of the owner in question...I'm working at Oxburgh Hall in Norfolk, home of the Bedingfeld family, so, yes, I didn't expect it to be anything exactly ordinary :D but couldn't for the life of me find any details. Thanks SO much, is all I can say, I'm really grateful!
Not sure why I wrote outfitters rather than dressmakers, I normally don't but I suppose I was in a rush - must have been lunchtime :thumbup:

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:16 am

Congrats on the getting the place at Oxburgh - I'm at Blickling now too! National Trust FTW! :D

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Grania

Postby Grania » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:48 am

:) Enjoying it?

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

Return to “Costumes”