Moderator: Moderators

IDEEDEE

Re: Points

Post by IDEEDEE »

It's weird is't it.. Either there was some trick/knack to the whole getting-your-pants-down-quickly-in-a-seemly (non messy/ non dangling where things don't want to dangle :sick: ) sort of way that I've still not mastered (not beyond the realms of the possible of course :$ ) or the practical problems with the wretched things (even allowing for medieval bogs having more elbow room than portaloos) would surely have led to folks finding an alternative after the second or third evacuation... But presumably not... Are people really such slaves to fashion & convention? (Rhetorical. Answer: Yes they is) :crazy:

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

I have various friends who stick firmly to the romper suit option - they also say that it is vital to plan ahead. Maybe this is what I ancestors did given that they didn't have as many salubrious opportunities as us. Though I must say portaloos are the bain of my life when it comes to re-enactment, one of the reasons I love doing Kentwell where they have real toilets for the participants. :D
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

EnglishArcher

Post by EnglishArcher »

things I learned as a re-enactor:

1) The Romper Suit is the only way to go (literally)

2) Plan ahead. Several hours if possible

3) Use the disabled porta-potty if there is one.

4) Never, EVER, EVER attempt to use a French squat-pot
English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Ah yes, I too wear my kit in the baby grow style, but even then I do have to untie my doublets to about the waist before I can lever the whole thing off.
The festival turdis (always smaller on the inside then it looks on the outside in a freakish dilation of time and space) is a nightmare (and even worse for weans and ladies-my wee boy has ended up pissing or craping over his clothes more than once as they have become tucked up under him) but I cannot see many organisers being happy with my shitting against a wall or the middle of the street however true to real life that may have been, so thats a by the by.
And there are times when planning means jack.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

wulfenganck

Post by wulfenganck »

IDEEDEE wrote:It's weird is't it.. Either there was some trick/knack to the whole getting-your-pants-down-quickly-in-a-seemly (non messy/ non dangling where things don't want to dangle :sick: ) sort of way that I've still not mastered (not beyond the realms of the possible of course :$ ) or the practical problems with the wretched things (even allowing for medieval bogs having more elbow room than portaloos) would surely have led to folks finding an alternative after the second or third evacuation... But presumably not... Are people really such slaves to fashion & convention? (Rhetorical. Answer: Yes they is) :crazy:
Well, that's maybe the reason why doublets with only three or two laces in front became fashion in Germany from the 1450s onwards......affords some flexibility to slip out of the whole affair and (might remind you of a snake loosing its old skin....) but way faster than unlacing the hoses itself......

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

And there was I thinking it was all to do with improvements in the quality and availablity of good linen.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Why can you not unlace the hosen from the doublet. Sure, it will take a little practice, but I don't see why it shouldn't become quite easy quite quickly, provided you've got descent points, etc. Remembe our ancestors had been wearing their hosen since child-hood.

I suspect that the less regulated pace of life in times past may have served them. If they needed a pee in the middle of at battle, they didn't have to wait until the show finished to rush to the loos and releive themselves!
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

James Bretlington

Post by James Bretlington »

Colin Middleton wrote:Why can you not unlace the hosen from the doublet. Sure, it will take a little practice, but I don't see why it shouldn't become quite easy quite quickly, provided you've got descent points, etc. Remembe our ancestors had been wearing their hosen since child-hood.
I'm with Colin on this, and have now got myself to the point that I can get my own hose and doublet laced together, and don't have to rely on the wife any longer to do the back points..

Of course, not to say I haven't resorted to the romper suit in the past.... :)

EnglishArcher

Post by EnglishArcher »

My big sausage fingers - some of which are deformed through injuries - severely hamper my ability to tie points behind my back. I have enough trouble tying (and untying) knots when they're in front of me, let alone behind my back in a box not much bigger than a coffin.

It has been known for me to un-point the doublet, then just re-point the front - just to get me clear (as it were).

To those with the dexterity: I salute you (and envy you in equal measure!) :D
English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

IDEEDEE

Post by IDEEDEE »

EnglishArcher wrote:My big sausage fingers - some of which are deformed through injuries - severely hamper my ability to tie points behind my back. I have enough trouble tying (and untying) knots when they're in front of me, let alone behind my back in a box not much bigger than a coffin.
Not just me then... :) I've tried four approaches:

i) The "Houdini Manouver": actually trying to untie meself while in the wretched turdis - then do up everything before leaving; including re-threading (blind) the back points that have invariably worked themselves out of the doublet (Aaaaagh!!). At my time of life (& handlessness) an ordeal of fumbling & stretching & slipping on the wet portaloo floor & usually putting my neck out. Nimble digits, practice & fitness (and a degree of weight loss) would, of course, help.....

ii) The "Romper Suit Gambit": the "take the bl**dy doublet off, shove it between your legs & squat" approach (with all the hazards a less- than-clean portabog presents to loose arms, dangly points etc. etc). Practical, but leaves me somewhat disevelled & wondering about new damp patches.

iii) The "Builders Cleavage Ploy": leaving the back points unhitched all the time method. Good, but possibly not the done thing at those WotR events when I'm supposed to be higher class than a middling grunt (?). Useful if wearing a gown over the top though. Great when we're playing Germans (Too right wulfenganck :) )

iv) The "I'm So Very Ashamed Expedient": Only once or twice, at a not-terribly-authentic event: what I understand is a certain lady's strategem - the magic hose (or hose pointed to hidden, inner belt) with false doublet-points combo. :oops:

Have come to the conclusion that a) people took their time (no mops banging on plastic doors with "You gonna be in there all day"?) b) people didn't use portaloos (more elbow room and freedom to squat & adjust dress heedless of everything but the job in hand) c) there is a trick I'm still missing, and/or.....
d) points are an artists' conspiracy or everyone actually used some variant on iv after the first week.... :wasntme: