Blunt, hunting arrowhead?

Moderator: Moderators

IDEEDEE

Blunt, hunting arrowhead?

Post by IDEEDEE »

Just a query from a non-archer.. Does this image seem to show a lady using "blunts" to shoot a hare/mutant rabbit...or is it me? (Not me in the picture, me as in me getting the wrong idea :)).
The "blunt" looks like the kind of thing wot folk shoot at me at shows. I hadn't come across this arrow type in a hunting context before. Is that kind of arrow unusual for small game (or is it just my non-archer ignorance showing)? The pic is from the Taymouth Book of Hours.
Attachments
arrowsmall.jpg

sally
Post Knight

Re: Blunt, hunting arrowhead?

Post by sally »

Is it not just a flattened chisel sort of shape tip? I'm not an archer, so theres aprobably a name for them that eludes me, but I'm sure I've seen some that are broad and flat

IDEEDEE

Post by IDEEDEE »

Hi Sally.

Yes, I wondered that. Before I blew the picture up I was wondering if it would turn out to be one of those slightly crescent-headed heads that there was a thread about last year, but it turned out not to be. A chistle head would be more accurate than a blunt, I assume (mind you, she couldn't get much nearer). .

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Post by Phil the Grips »

Could be either- though for small game, as shown, I'd be inclined to go with the idea of a blunt head as this is a consistent feature of shooting small game up to the modern day (even to the point of using no head at all in some places). After all the rubber blunts used for safety in combat archery aren't called "rabbit blunts" for nowt ;)

Tod of Tods Stuff does a nice repro of these in horn.
--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Agree with Phil. Blunts are quite common for use on birds & small game and feature on a number of period illustrations.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

EnglishArcher

Post by EnglishArcher »

Yes it's either a wooden, or leather-covered wood blunt. Used particularly for rabbits and small game.

Two reasons:

1) If you use a typical swallow-tail hunting head (designed for bringing down deer and boar and stuff) you'll shred a rabbit; which then doesn't make for such good eating

2) The skin (fur) is valuable; and much less so with a bloody great rip through both sides from a swallow-tail.

Your choice of arrowhead depends on what you're hunting:

For large game a broad, swept swallow-tail. This will cause massive bleed-out and quick death (you don't want to be chasing your dinner all over the countryside AFTER you've shot it!)

For fowl, a crescent shaped head. For years, these were thought to be 'rope-cutters' - but not by anyone who actually tried to cut a rope with one! And despite the recorded evidence of them being used for killing birds all the way back to the Romans! The crescent head has enough impact to kill, but the shape of the head doesn't allow penetration through the feathers so you don't liquefy the internals of your goose.

For smaller birds, a round metal blunt. There's enough blunt force trauma to kill a small bird but it won't get stuck in the tree when you miss.

For Frenchmen, a quarrel-sided armour-piercing bodkin. ;)
English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

You eat Frenchmen?
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Post by The Iron Dwarf »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:You eat Frenchmen?
dont you?

EnglishArcher

Post by EnglishArcher »

Nah - they taste horrible. But that doesn't stop me hunting them.
English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Langley
Post Centurion

Post by Langley »

It looks like an illustration of a blunt used both for hunting and target practice. The end is round rather than chisel shaped and there is a short pin sticking out the front which allows it to be shot at wooden targets without destroying them. Part of the reason for huting with these is you are shooting often in woods and upwards and you would really like to get your arrow back - especially if you are actually poaching. Arrows are usually pretty distinctive to the maker and you don't want his lordship finding something stuck up one of his treees which looks like your handiwork...

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Post by Brother Ranulf »

Oliver Jessop's "A New Artefact Typology for the Study of Medieval Arrowheads" (1996, referred to in an earlier thread) gives H5 as a "blunt-ended arrowhead with socket" for hunting birds, hares, rabbits and other small game. Dimensions are suggested (although almost no archaeological examples are known) as about 20 to 45 mm long and 10 to 25 mm wide - the material is given as wood or leather and the evidence is almost entirely from manuscript illustrations. First seen in the 12th century, such arrows would also be used for shooting practice at targets.

I have a 12th century bestiary illustration of an archer shooting magpies from a tree with just such a blunt arrow, which is clearly without fletchings. Less chance of the arrow becoming entangled in the foliage?

It seems that many medieval archery devotees are even now unaware of Jessop's immensely valuable work on this subject, meaning that the hugely flawed and unreliable Museum of London typology is still being treated as the last word on medieval arrowheads, which it definitely isn't. Jessop's paper is available online as a .pdf file here:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata ... 92_205.pdf
Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

EnglishArcher

Post by EnglishArcher »

Agreed. Jessop's typology is far superior to the rather arbitrary MoL typology.

Langley
Post Centurion

Post by Langley »

EnglishArcher wrote: For fowl, a crescent shaped head. For years, these were thought to be 'rope-cutters' - but not by anyone who actually tried to cut a rope with one! And despite the recorded evidence of them being used for killing birds all the way back to the Romans! The crescent head has enough impact to kill, but the shape of the head doesn't allow penetration through the feathers so you don't liquefy the internals of your goose.
Spot on here English! I got fed up wiht hearing that rubbish and spent quite a bit of time in the Prado in Madrid where there are quite a few individual mediaeval paintings showing the crescent head in use on both crossbow and upright (I hesitate to use the word Long for European ones). I looked at evey painting they had showing archery over the course of a weekend and I could find none showing it used for anything else. I now spread the word evey time I do a show... I am convinced of it having done the basic research.

EnglishArcher

Post by EnglishArcher »

For those who want more empirical research on the topic I highly recommend the articles Mark Stretton wrote for 'The Glade' magazine.

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

EnglishArcher wrote:For those who want more empirical research on the topic I highly recommend the articles Mark Stretton wrote for 'The Glade' magazine.
Do you mean the ones where he managed to cut a rope with a forked arrow? :devil:

EnglishArcher

Post by EnglishArcher »

Do you mean the ones where he managed to cut a rope with a forked arrow?
John - I think you should say '...he managed to cut a rope with a forked arrow eventually' :D

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

EnglishArcher wrote:
Do you mean the ones where he managed to cut a rope with a forked arrow?
John - I think you should say '...he managed to cut a rope with a forked arrow eventually' :D
Sorry. Couldn't resist. :wink:

IDEEDEE

Post by IDEEDEE »

Query satisfied... :D

That's what I love about this forum... So many nice folk, with so much knowledge...

The Jessop reference was really useful.

And I now know how to shoot a rabbit properly... :)

Cheers folks.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Post by gregory23b »

"And I now know how to shoot a rabbit properly... "

elmer fudd.gif
elmer fudd.gif (13.72 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Post by Brother Ranulf »

SSSh!! Be VEWY,VEWY quiet . . . .wabbit twacks!
Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

"first taketh thee ye Elmer..."
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Sir Thomas Hylton

Post by Sir Thomas Hylton »

EnglishArcher wrote:
Nah - they taste horrible. But that doesn't stop me hunting them.
It what the mustard was invented for.

IDEEDEE

Post by IDEEDEE »

:D