drinking vesels

Moderator: Moderators

Matild Le Sauvge

drinking vesels

Postby Matild Le Sauvge » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:41 pm

i have found a beer le Trappie that is in a medievil clay contaner i was wondring if any one knew of othe bevrages that wher in simlar contaners and what the product is caled.
http://beeronline.ru/beer/trap/11357.gif

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:52 am

Its more of a Victorian shape and finish of bottle than it is medieval I believe (someone will correct me if it would pass muster earlier) but definately much more fun than glass. Don't a couple of the German wines and some of the Dutch gins come in similar stoneware bottles?

Matild Le Sauvge

Postby Matild Le Sauvge » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:15 pm

i know that it is fine for our groop since we use similar botles.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:26 pm

Matild Le Sauvge wrote:i know that it is fine for our groop since we use similar botles.

Is it ok you say its fine because we use them all the time why ? please tell serioulsey I would be very interested in seeing your evidence for this

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Matild Le Sauvge

Postby Matild Le Sauvge » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 pm

sorry i mean the groop do for shows so thay should be fine it all gose through the head of the BSU and genral enacitve we used simlar vesals all the time i just using the botle as an exsample i probly dident need to but im not used to this tipe of foroom whair every one is on the same wave length also the subjects i take in colage make me paint out the ovous and give examples. im just simply want to know if any one knows os other vesels and what the brand is. i hope this meks sence.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:53 am

in a medievil clay contaner

i know that it is fine for our groop since we use similar botles.

what period of medieval are you talking about??

I know that it'd completely and utterly wrong for the bit that I do, so would be interested

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:15 pm

I'd put it as wrong for most if not all of the medieval in Britain - I dont think pottery was used for bottles - and beer was more likely to be stored in the barrel and drawn off as required - a medieval household would have got through a fair amount and it wouldn't have been stored in little bottles. Similarly with wine.

By the late 16th/early 17th C you start to find glass 'onion' bottles in the archaeological record.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:47 pm

If you want to know about pottery in Britain then I heartily recommend the book below, you can probably get it out of your Uni library:

Medieval pottery in Britain, AD 900-1600 / Michael R. McCarthy and Catherine M. Brooks.

Cheers

Simon

p.s. Just because it's in common usage within your group doesn't always make it right. It's an easy mistake to make if you don't know better and it's not confined to re-enactment, we were given an example of this during a lecture about the first professional archaeologists - if enough people claim it's right then it must be...unfortunately not!

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:27 am

p.s. Just because it's in common usage within your group doesn't always make it right. It's an easy mistake to make if you don't know better and it's not confined to re-enactment, we were given an example of this during a lecture about the first professional archaeologists - if enough people claim it's right then it must be...unfortunately not!

damn - so does that mean the first dinsaur hunters didn't find dragons???? :cry: :cry:

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

Karen Larsdatter

Re: drinking vesels

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:22 pm

Some ceramic bottles from medieval and post-medieval Britain ...

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:00 pm

Karen comes up with the images again! You're an absolute gem!!

The examples are mainly post medieval though and the bottle shape is totally different to Matilds examples - however I suspect if you took some of these pictures to a good potter you could get some copies made up fairly easily - or go to TORM and see if anyone is flogging them there.

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:41 pm

:oops: thanks :)

Here in the U.S., Jeff Brown sells Raeren-style stoneware bottles. Hudson does some related stoneware, too.

Matild Le Sauvge

Postby Matild Le Sauvge » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:10 pm

i reilise that it not all ways rigth and thanks for the hellp

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:57 pm

just read in another thread that you do the same period as us (one of), and sorry, but that kind of bottle isn't even vaguely right, it's just wrong.

if you do use them in your group, I'd suggest banning them immediately in favour of something that's correct.

Miss Piggy

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:25 pm

Suggest thats a bit light just ban em :D

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

polthepot

Postby polthepot » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:44 am

Nice troll

pottery the new rock'n roll

sed jonny

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:14 pm

polthepot wrote:Nice troll
:?:

Miss Piggy

MedicKitten

Postby MedicKitten » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:54 pm

Karen, do you know anyone in the US who makes proper Bellarmines? Would be an EXCELLENT present for my Mum.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

alice

Postby alice » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:37 am

The Taverns, inns and households of Gor use a variety of drinking vessels some examples of these drinking vessels are: cups, brass cups, glasses, bowls,globets,metal globets, silver globets studded with rubbies .golden globets and kantharos.wineskins or botas made from wineskn leather are some of the patterns of drnking vessels.

Get best of everything

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:48 pm

Alice love, where is 'Gor'?, other than the fantasy world of the books of the same name? :twisted:

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Arrowfodder

Postby Arrowfodder » Fri May 01, 2009 3:54 am

Some of us tend to believe that the larger earthware jug 2 1/2 pints (thank you Jim the pot) would be the collective vessel , mazeres (thank you Todd) being the individual ones. Is more fun sharing!!!

Currently a member of Free Company.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun May 03, 2009 11:37 pm

You've left the forum and entered the Twilight Zone. :?

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

gallois

Postby gallois » Mon May 04, 2009 8:58 pm

My group represents 15th Centuru medieval and we only allow jugs and barrels for liquid containers.
I suppose you should be asking what context the vessels? In a dwelling or permanent meeting place why would they need individual portion storage? If talking about transporting beer small bottles would be totally impractical.
Attachments
monk_sneaking_a_drink_2.jpg

"A long bow and a strong bow,
And let the sky grow dark.
The nock to the cord, the shaft to the ear,
And a foreign king for a mark!"

Return to “Food and Drink”