The Sash my Royalist wore....

Moderator: Moderators

David F

The Sash my Royalist wore....

Post by David F »

Hello all,

I'm painting a Scots Royalist wargames army, and can't find a reference to the colour of officers sashes.
Did the officers of Montrose and Huntly wear the same red colour as their English counterparts, or did they follow the older Scots practice of yellow sashes?

Can anyone advise?

DF
I'm a militant agnostic-
If you don't believe as I do, I come round and burn a question mark in your lawn....

Andy R
Post Centurion

Post by Andy R »

I was told red - right after I painted all mine blue - d'ohh
Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

The colour of the scarf worn by officers was variable it could depend on the family colours of the armies leader, also personal taste as well as allegiance to a given cause. The wearing of the scarf is what marks an officer, their scarves being bigger than the basic ones worn by cavalrymen.
Red is the martial colour of England and is normally associated with Royalist cause, but was also used by Parliamentarian officers. Royalists wore blue scarves, but so did officers in the Northern Parliamentarian army under Fairfax.
Some Yorkshire officers wore yellow scarves, Colonel Eden was shot at Pontefract castle wearing a black scarf, whether that was a family colour or he was in mourning is unknown.
So based on English practice you could justify most colours of scarf. (The word scarf is used because that is what they are called in all the period documents, sadly sash is a modern appellation).

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

Try asking on the ECWS forum - but personally my scarf is blue silk (CO of Loudoun's Regiment of Foote)
Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Neil Johnston

Post by Neil Johnston »

Weren't the blue sashes known as Montrose's fancies or something like that.....whimsies it was actually....although that was when he was in his Covenanter period...pre Royalist!!

I believe blue was the usual colour of scarves for the Armie of the Covenant. Derived possibly from the background colour of the saltire. It was also the colour of the Swedish army of Gustavus and there is some thought it was borrowed from them as so many Scottish officers had served with him ...presumably they already had one....thrifty!!!

Gordons are quoted (in Spalding I think) as wearing flesh (red/pink) coloured ribbons when the main component of the Royalist force at the Trot of Turriff.
Cheers
Neil
GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR

David F

Post by David F »

I know the Blue scarf, (thanks for the correct term Merlon) is the colour adopted by the Covenanter officers. As you point out Neil, by Montrose himself, (leastways according to Montrose's version of events!) Though more likely becouse it was the colour of the Swedish army.
Montrose is supposed to have adopted blue in answer to Huntly adopting black at the start of the First Bishops war.
But Huntly seems to have changed his mind very quickly.
So, did Huntly and then Montrose adopt the English royalist Red (as I think is likely), or did they, being a bit more conservative use the older Scots royalist colour of Yellow?
I'm just hopeing for a reasonable excuse to get a little extra colour on my figures, but I'm pedantic enough to want a reference.
I'm a militant agnostic-
If you don't believe as I do, I come round and burn a question mark in your lawn....

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Probably your best bet would be to seek out contemporary paintings of Scots officers. A quick google brings up a few including a nice one of Lord Gordon sporting a crimson scarf.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.