Plea for ribbon and trim offcuts

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Vicky

Plea for ribbon and trim offcuts

Postby Vicky » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Following my very sucessful plea for fabric offcuts for Luton museum (thank you everyone, the project was a big success), I'm now going to be cheeky and ask if anyone has any offucts of ribbon or decorative trims that are just taking up space.

I need it for a series of free community workshops - historically inspired but using modern materials. Absolutely anything, no matter how small, would be of use.

Thanks!
:D

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:23 pm

I'll ask am sure we ahve a few (tons)

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:35 am

I probably have some around.

How urgently do you need them?

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:58 am

Thanks both.

I need them for mid-Feb (half term) workshops in particular.

Cheers.
:D

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:45 am

Hi Vicky,

I am currently going through my loft, having a sort-out. I am likely to be able to get a bag of stuff together for you. But how to get it to you this time? I am in south London.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi Frances - thanks - will pm you!

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Vicky

Can I offer you a swop for white fur? I need enough for 10 yards/metres by 2 inches wide in total, or five metres each of white and another colour. The can be lumps as long as I can make them into strips, if that makes sense. Can probably give you a fat carrier bag full -of bits and scraps - do you want beads too? However, like Frances, I live in London, so would have to be a parcel, probably.

S

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:07 pm

Fantastic, yes please! I forgot to check on the white fur, I'll be able to on Monday.

Definitely yes to beads too! :D

I'll see what I've got on Mon and get back to you.

Thanks!

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Shadowcat - white fur? I suppose you want real fur. I have artificial fur, the sort used for Father Christmas outfits.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Frances

Yes, I got a message from the customers today - they want real fur, although I was trying to persuade them otherwise, as these are supposed to be "cheap" masqueing costumes!

s.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:58 pm

Ah, my stuff will be no good to you then, quite definitely fake!

Would white sheepskins do instead of 'fur'. Could be easier/cheaper if you need long strips? (Just a thought, I honestly don't know!)

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:06 pm

Ah shame. I did save up a few white fur coats to trim a medieval outfit, but it was many years ago now. I then thought that as I am always up close to the public they might not like real fur. I cannot remember what I did with it now. But I do remember getting very furry as I took the coats apart into flat pieces preparatory to making one long narrow piece out of it. Got up my nose and all over the place it did.

Do they know how much bunny skins will cost them?

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:41 pm

House of De Clifford do "plates" of bunny - one should do two tabards with any luck. I should be able to see one next weekend, as I have a customer bringing one to show me.

S.

seamsmistress

Postby seamsmistress » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:28 am

Can confirm that House de Clifford' bunny plates are well up to snuff and worth the money. With effort, I got 3 sizeable Victorian muffs out of 1, so 2 tabards with care should be okay.

Return to “Costumes”