Bonnie Prince Charlie

Moderator: Moderators

m300572
Post Centurion

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Post by m300572 »

Anyone have a good reference for the earliest use of the name - one of the metal detector forum has turned up a medal with a bust of BPC (it says "Bonnie Prince Charlie" round the outside of the face of the medal) and a woman's bust on the reverse. Trying to get a tpq for it.
Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

That sounds like a Victorian coin, and I think the bust os meant to be Flora MacDonald. Although some where in the cobwebs of my memory I think there is one with BPC and his mum.

bonnieprincecharlie

Post by bonnieprincecharlie »

"The windows were full of Ladys who threw up their handkerchiefs and clap'd their hands and show'd great loyalty to the Bonny Prince."

Magdalen (Madie) Pringle is the first recorded usage of the name, in her letters describing what was happening in Edinburgh. So it is contemporary, but who knows how quickly it caught on.
Arran P Johnston
'Bonnie Prince Charlie'
Charles Edward Stuart Society
The Earl of Loudoun's Regiment of Foote
Glenbucket's Regiment
The Antonine Guard
Alan Breck Stewart Volunteers

auldMotherBegg

Post by auldMotherBegg »

Wasn't the name a bastardisation of some form of the gaelic?

Ian Deveney

bonnie prince charlie

Post by Ian Deveney »

The Gaelic for Bonnie is laghach,
so Bonnie probably comes from the Scots, remember there was more than Gaelic and English being spoken at the time, the was also Doric and old Scots. :D
Those who live by the sword die by the guns of others :-)

David F

Post by David F »

I believe the the Gaelic bastardisation, came from the "Charlie" part, The Gaelic for Charles is something like "Terlig", which if you say it fast enough sounds like "Charlie"
I'm a militant agnostic-
If you don't believe as I do, I come round and burn a question mark in your lawn....

Neil Johnston

Post by Neil Johnston »

The Gaelic for Charles is actually Tearlach pronounced Charlach and Prionnsa is the Gaelic for Prince........ both probably derived from original English language usage words translated into Gaelic. The word telebhisean for television is a modern example of this.

It would seem likely to me that "Bonnie Prince Charlie" is from the Lowland Scots derivation of his name and not a Gaelic one.
Cheers
Neil

The pedantic could even argue that it was originally French as Bonnie is derived from the word bon, Prince is a French derivation of Latin and Charles is a French name!!! :lol:
GARG'N UAIR DHUISGEAR