Square Tents

Moderator: Moderators

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Square Tents

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:47 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of a source for square tents with a pyramid shaped roof and wall poles. I know that the Co. St. George magasines have turned up a number of rectangular tents, shaped like a house and similar tents appear in a number of other pictures, but I am thinking of square tents, which I can't locate.

Many thanks

Colin

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:17 pm

I always thought they were more napolionic than medieval, but I suppose this might be a square tent.

I found it here

http://www.tentorium.pl/main.php?dzial=ikonografia&katalog=9&nr=01&lg=en

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:10 pm

Try Victor James - our group recently bought one off him for use as a cook tent, although i can't actually remember if it has a pyramid roof.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:11 am

But as Vic makes tents for civil war and napolionic, the fact that he sells them doesn't make for even secondary evidence that they are medieval surely.

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Deb

Postby Deb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:20 am

Fam West do square medieval pavilions - try http://www.naturzelte.de/index.php?lng= ... 9a9ba73f96

They made our tent and it's great, good tent, good price and arrived in 4 weeks

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:26 am

Sorry Colin,

Are you after source {supplier} or Source {Historical Provenance} because I just realised that whilst I tried to answer the latter, the question is not unambigious.

Dave

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Sorry, my bad :oops: .

I'm actually after evidence. Some of our members have seen a square tent as described and are wanting to buy one and asked me if they are authentic. I have a feeling that square or rectangular tents were used, but that they had quite specific characteristics. I know that Past Tents used to sell a square tent that was wrong for the 15th C.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Alan E

Postby Alan E » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:29 pm

There are squaretents in Karen's reply here http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/forums/v ... highlight= I don't know whether any match your description though.

'till whispers fill the tower of memory...
The Exiles Company of Medieval Martial Artists: http://the-exiles.org.uk/

Now teaching Fiore's art in Ceredigion (Felinfach) - pm for details

PaulMurphy

Postby PaulMurphy » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:58 pm

Paul Murphy
Tournée & The Vikings

Fox
Absolute Wizard

Postby Fox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:06 pm

PaulMurphy wrote:Froissart's Chronicle, 1377

I note that has roof with a purely triangular cross section, rather than a pyramidal roof.

The sides do appear to slope, so in the limiting case that is pyramidal, but I'd still rather have a direct primary source for a tent without a long ridge.

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:42 pm

I think what Cleggy meant was that Vic has evidence ( and will believe you me ) tell you at length if you ask - him the sources for his evidence - for the different types of tents are.
He's at Shugborough this weekend I know but he doesn't do internet so you'd either have to call him or speak to hime person at an event.

jelayemprins

tents

Postby jelayemprins » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:42 pm

Its a matter of medieval terminology that has changed its meaning through the ages [ think of how the word GAY has been corrupted]

In medieval times, the word square doesn't relate to our modern thinking of 4 equal length sides and 4 x 90 degree angles. A hexagon, octagon, pentagon, equilateral triangle are all square - in medieval eyes.

For proof- check out the pewterers guild statutes for square ware- the same octagonal flagons as SM now makes and sells...

So all the modern multi sided tents are ostensible sqaure! Although the most authentic is probably for Bractea in Poland.:)

IJ

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:47 am

Has anyone seen this guy's wares http://www.worldtents.co.uk/historical/historical.htm?
He does a square tent which he describes as The Landsneckt.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Mrs. Babyjuice

Postby Mrs. Babyjuice » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:19 pm

BTW....worldtents.co.uk supply the tents from naturzelte.de the tents are one and the same.

If you buy from worldtents it'll cost you more per tent. However, this basically covers the import duties as these tents come from Czechslovakia via the German site (hence the dot de).

I know this because I have had contact with them myself and they told me.

The Landsnekt is brill... I have the white 6m by 6m (which was made elsewhere for someone else to that pattern).

Recommended.

(If I had some pics I would put them up, but haven't).

Edited to read better!

Maker of fine bespoke copperfoiled stained glass.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
www.devoncomplementarytherapy.co.uk

Nemeton John

World Tents

Postby Nemeton John » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:07 pm

We have been reading all the remarks made about square tents with avid interest as we are going to purchase a medieval round or square tent this year. We have looked closely at the Past Tents sight and seen many of their tents, however we have not seen the internal construction of the World Tents. Can anyone tell us the internal construction of “The Herold, The Windsor or The Landsknecht” , better still is anyone going to Bosworth with one of these tents that we can look at?
Thanks John

Mrs. Babyjuice

Postby Mrs. Babyjuice » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi,

I can't tell you much about the other tents - try one the worldtents/naturzelte sites; they have consise measurements etc...but you'll have to look for them!

The square Landsneckt I've got is an exact replica of one of theirs. It was made by someone for Max who sells the Armourclass stuff to their specs.

It has an outside perimeter of 6m by 6m (about 18ft by 18ft). The sides slope inwards and that leaves a 'square' working area of about 5m by 5m from the vertical of the walls, if you see what I mean.

The pyramid roof is obviously about 5m by 5m therefore. It is supported by one central pole about 5.5m (16ft) high. You can get extra guys to go from the exterior top of the pole for extra support in winds. Recommended.

The perimeter walls: there is a pole in each corner and each wall is supported by two further poles each. Each pole has exterior guy ropes. The walls are about 2.5m high. The poles are about 3" diameter, I think and the central pole is alot thicker - adequate for their purpose.

There are optional rear opening walls which lace together and a front-opening canopy, which when closed is a wall. Ropes, pegs and poles are supplied as necessary per customer's order - check out options and prices. My Landsneckt tent from Worldtents is about £1300 plus extras - variable in size/options therefore costs.

Past Tents are very good quality, but the colours fade quite quickly. Worldtents' and Vic James' tents also v. good. Go by word of mouth. Be sure to shop around and be very exact when asking for quotes, don't be afraid to ask detailed stuff or haggle!

Hope this is helpful to you.

Mrs BJ x.

Maker of fine bespoke copperfoiled stained glass.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

www.devoncomplementarytherapy.co.uk

Aginoth

Postby Aginoth » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:11 pm

But where is the evidence for The Landsknecht Square tent? and is just a Continental used design or contemporary for the England/Wales/France in 14th C?

Aginoth / Dave
Membership and Communications Officer
Teulu'r Tywysogion (The Prince's Retinue) - https://www.facebook.com/groups/334298030022793/

Return to “1100-1500”