Hooks & Eyes

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Borsch Monster

Hooks & Eyes

Post by Borsch Monster »

Anybody care to settle an argument for me. When do hooks & eyes first appear on clothing. :?:

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

I claim no knowledge whatsoever but one unprovenanced web source claims Italian 13th century. Janet Arnold thought they were just starting to replace points in England around the turn of the C17th.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Alan E

Post by Alan E »

John Waller wrote:I claim no knowledge whatsoever but one unprovenanced web source claims Italian 13th century. Janet Arnold thought they were just starting to replace points in England around the turn of the C17th.
England may have been a backwater, but four centuries behind the times in a period where our court was closely tied to the continent (Angevin empire, HYW etc) and English mercernary companies were employed in the Italian warring states ? That does seem a bit far-fetched !

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

DAve Rushworths "Handbook of later medieval mens dress" says that hooks and eyes were used as fastenings. So that would be about the 15th century. Since is a wee pamphlet rather than a book theres no references, but I have generally found Dave to be reliable.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Janet Arnold's point was not that hooks and eyes were "new" just that they were new in the position they were being used, i.e. to hold men's doublet and breeches together, a job previously done by points.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

If you go to Colchester Museum they have footwear said to be Roman. If my memory serves me (and time is beginning to catch up) they have a metal hook and eye. Can someone who lives down that way nip in and confirm this for me please. Ta

Pigface

Dark Age

Post by Pigface »

I seem to recall from my deeply buried days at university that my Dark Age lecturer used to show us lots of hook fasteners that were used throughout pre-Norman Britain. I don't know if they had eyes but they would definately have hooked into tablet-woven braid.
Try writing to Lloyd Llaing at Nottingham University archaeology dept.