new Viking Clothing book

Moderator: Moderators

Thor Ewing
Location: now based on the Welsh border, I travel to events all over the UK and beyond

new Viking Clothing book

Postby Thor Ewing » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:48 pm

Announcing . . .
Viking Clothing
Thor Ewing
ISBN 0-7524-3587-6
£17.99 Tempus Publishing Ltd 2006

The first book devoted to the subject, it draws on archaeological, literary, pictorial and linguistic evidence, to arrive at a fresh understanding of the nature of Viking clothing, covering rich and poor, men and women across Scandinavia.

For more information, please visit http://www.historicalarts.co.uk/books/vikingclothing.html
where you can order your signed first edition

Viking Clothing is also featured in the next issue of Skirmish Magazine

seamsmistress

Postby seamsmistress » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:29 pm

It's so good, I've added it to our online shop! What online shop, I hear you cry? Why, that would be the one at Chimera Costumes - the haberdashery [and book] shop for now, but very soon will go live with an extensive range of good quality authentic period clothing, early medieval right through to 1900 for men women and children.

I digress - this is a thoroughly researched masterpiece on a subject that hasn't been discussed on a literary level for the best part of a 100 years. So, apart from being long overdue, I can see this as becoming an essential handbook for Viking enthusiasts worldwide, whatever your level of study.

You can buy this directly from Thor or purchase via ourselves online with credit card http://www.chimera-costumes.co.uk/shop/shop.php Select Books in the category list and this will bring up his book.
Attachments
book cover.jpg
book cover.jpg (11.1 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Last edited by seamsmistress on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eric the well read

Viking Clothing

Postby Eric the well read » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:35 pm

Hi Thor,
Well done! It's a great read and I'm sure, will become a standard work. I thought you said you wouldn't be having colour plates in it?
Did you change your mind, or did the publisher relent?
Again many congratulations on a great work.
Regards to the family

Thor Ewing
Location: now based on the Welsh border, I travel to events all over the UK and beyond

Postby Thor Ewing » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:32 am

Thank you, Seamsmistress and Eric.

It's great to get feedback on this project after years alone in my garret with only my computer to share my thoughts with ;-)

Actually, there were always going to be some colour plates, but there was much hoo ha over what they should be. I eventually ditched the idea of photographing reconstructions, because I think that leaves more room for interpretation from each reader. So the colour plates show mainly archaeological finds including textiles and a couple of relevant manuscript illustrations.

I should add that I have updated my website, so now you can look inside the book (one page in every twenty).
I've also added a link to Chimera Costumes where you can buy the book online.
Please visit http://www.historicalarts.co.uk/books/vikingclothing.html

Best wishes,
Thor

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:32 pm

Thor Ewing wrote: I eventually ditched the idea of photographing reconstructions, because I think that leaves more room for interpretation from each reader.

Best wishes,
Thor

But I'm USELESS at interpretation! I'll be happy to listen to anyone's intepretation of the women's section. Are we talking only two layers of clothing when fully dressed? And you were very bold to make it so much shorter than the men's.

Lovely book, by the way. I'm only just started reading so really you can ignore my whinging.

Wiblick

Thor Ewing

Postby Thor Ewing » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Well, just for you . . .
If it's the short pleated style of women's suspended dress you're interested in, I'd suggest following the proportions of the shorter Roman-era garments from Huldremose and Damendorf.
But I wouldn't want to suggest that everyone wore these shorter dresses, or that they would have been the only dress in a woman's wardrobe. And I certainly think the typical married woman's dress would probably have been longer than her man's.
Best wishes,
Thor

http://www.historicalarts.co.uk/books/vikingclothing.html
Last edited by Thor Ewing on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:17 am

thank you!

actually I meant you were very bad to make the section on women's clothing so much shorter than that on the men's, there are pages and pages about men's kit!

Thor Ewing

Postby Thor Ewing » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:41 am

Well there's 15 thousand words and 43 figures for Women's Clothing, against 16 thousand words and 47 figures for Men's Clothing - it's really not that big a difference.
And don't you think men deserve a bit of a look in, after they've been more-or-less ignored by every previous writer?
Best, Thor

http://www.historicalarts.co.uk/books/vikingclothing.html

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:14 pm

I suppose we can let them have SOME space.... men.... You are right though, they have been ignored, it's all been about the 'apron dress' up until now.

oh funny.... it looks like so much more when you look at the page numbers.

Well I shall have to read the book properly before I make any more comments!

I do like your book!

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:36 pm

I've just ordered a copy of this book, advertising on here pays :)

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

Thor Ewing

Postby Thor Ewing » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:07 pm

Glad you've decided to buy the book.
Don't forget, you can order it from me at http://www.historicalarts.co.uk/books/vikingclothing.html

By the way, if anyone is in the Castleton district this weekend, I'm giving a talk on Sunday at the Regia event there.

Best wishes,
Thor

Aelfric

Postby Aelfric » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:40 pm

Thor Ewing wrote:Glad you've decided to buy the book.
Don't forget, you can order it from me at http://www.historicalarts.co.uk/books/vikingclothing.html

By the way, if anyone is in the Castleton district this weekend, I'm giving a talk on Sunday at the Regia event there.

Best wishes,
Thor

Looking forward to it :D

Aelfric

Postby Aelfric » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:53 pm

Really enjoyed your talk on Sunday, thaks for coming.

Return to “410-1100”