Post Roman/ Pre Saxon swords

Moderator: Moderators

Mark Sanderson

Post Roman/ Pre Saxon swords

Post by Mark Sanderson »

I'm looking for information and examples of swords in Britain from 400 - 500 ad. Pictish or Scots swords will do.

All I can find on the web are Roman, "Celtic" and Saxon swords.

Thanks in advance.
When you talk to God, that's praying. When God talks to you, that's schizophrenia!

Brennivs(Tony Drake)

Post by Brennivs(Tony Drake) »

Would irish swords do as well from this period there are a few from Britian ect but not that many I will see what I can dig out :D
Regards Brennivs :D
Woe ye The Vanquished
Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
Caratcvs

WorkMonkey

Post by WorkMonkey »

Hasnt this already been done?
WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Yup, but possibly not here.
"I never said that I was here to help."

Mark Sanderson

Post by Mark Sanderson »

Yep, Indeed, I started the thread on November 28th 2007, and to get as much interest, and feedback, as possible posted the same inquiry on 3 forums (fora?).

I can't be ar5ed looking at the other threads at this time of night but I believe Irish weapons of the period in question got a mention, but nothing more.

Please feel free to post more information on the subject as it has not yet been exhausted. I look forward to your input Mr Brennivs (Tony Drake).

Thanks
When you talk to God, that's praying. When God talks to you, that's schizophrenia!

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Post by Medicus Matt »

Mark Sanderson wrote:Yep, Indeed, I started the thread on November 28th 2007, and to get as much interest, and feedback, as possible posted the same inquiry on 3 forums (fora?).

I can't be ar5ed looking at the other threads at this time of night but I believe Irish weapons of the period in question got a mention, but nothing more.

Please feel free to post more information on the subject as it has not yet been exhausted. I look forward to your input Mr Brennivs (Tony Drake).

Thanks

Some Pictish pommel finds and some Irish pommels and blades are all you're going to get if you're not interested in Germanic style spatha's.

If you haven't already seen it, there's a thread on the Irish ones here.
"I never said that I was here to help."

Mark Sanderson

Post by Mark Sanderson »

Thanks Medicus,

Those pictures on the forum are a great help. I'll bre able to cobble together some fine looking swords from all the information I've gathered.

Brennivs(Tony Drake)

Post by Brennivs(Tony Drake) »

I will post what I have as soon as I can scan, as I am answering other sword enquires so will do it then :D Thanks for the Irish swords link Matt so at least thats covered.
Regards Brennivs :D
Woe ye The Vanquished
Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
Caratcvs