roman food suppliers ?

Moderator: Moderators

valen

roman food suppliers ?

Post by valen »

Hey, a friend of mine is looking to put on a bit of a roman banquet, after getting excited by some books on Roman cuisine.

Does anyone know where one could find a supplier of the more... roman aspects of food, like fish sauce and dormice ? (which I believe are endangered in the UK...)

John

Karen Larsdatter

Re: roman food suppliers ?

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

I've read some recommendations for a Vietnamese sauce called nuoc nam or a Thai sauce called nam pla as modern substitutions for garum (fish sauce); nuoc nam and/or nam pla may be available at Asian ethnic markets (if you have that sort of market where you are).

There's also colatura di alici di Cetara, which seems to be "the descendant of Roman garum."

You could also try this recipe.

Attilla the Bun

Post by Attilla the Bun »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-Apicius ... 1903018447

Can't go wrong with anything by Sally Granger, and this one is not only one of her latest, but cheap too!

Karen's right about the fish sauce, it's what our cooks use, and the rest is recognisably the basis of modern Mediterranean cooking, (apart from fish sauce in the puddings, which works, for some strange reason). It's just a question of the combination of the combination of sopices and flavourings, which are often as numerous as in a modern curry (although not hot).

It's lovely stuff, our cooks feed us Roman food at all our events, and it all goes!
Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

You should be OK with the edible dormouse - its the common dormouse that's rare (stupid bloody name really it should be the not very common dormouse!)

For recipes try getting hold of a copy of translations of Apicius - there have been a few done that give modern interpretations of the recipes.
Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Wayland2002

Post by Wayland2002 »

The edible dormouse (Glis glis) is also protected.

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

The edible dormouse (Glis glis) is also protected.
Yeah but I work with the guys who hand out the licenses to interfere with furry animals.......

Wayland2002

Post by Wayland2002 »

could you get one for me then please, I'd quite like to knock off wild boar, deer and dormice

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

Not sure if you need a license for deer and boar - landowners permission and a big pointy stick is probably enough. I don't actually think I could swing a license for dormouse stuffing!!! :shock: (except in exceptional circumstances!! :lol: )

stephen wootten

Post by stephen wootten »

do you need them for chav hunting? and what weapon would you suggest. so far i think its a bear trap with a diamonte encrusted burbury baseball cap.

steve

ps: would never eat a chav as they are just carrion feeders and so a loss on the calorie equations.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

A Bayard, A Bayard!!!!!

guthries Sardukarr Bashar