Bombardes - bombardment

Making it, listening to it, words, music sheets, making instruments

Moderator: Moderators

Vlad

Postby Vlad » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:46 am

Wasn't medieval music played on a crumhorn done to death by Gryphon?

For those not in the know, a crumhorn sounds like a cross between a creaky door and a loud fart.

Jemima

Postby Jemima » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Respice, adspice, prospice

polthepot

bombards

Postby polthepot » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:39 pm

Bombards arnt korld that fer nowt lad! I deafen schoolchildren daily in music workshops at Ordsall Hall sunny Salford and get payed for the pleasure!

Originally brought in to rid the place of rats,Mu fans and ghosts, seems the ghosts like the sound, or was that goats?

As with all shaws, rauchpfipes, bagpipes, fog horns and Noddy Holder, one can quieten the sound by replacing said hard double cane reed with soft plastic practice chanter reeds. Instead of sounding like a rampent moose with toothache, you will soon be more akin to wandering minsrall type chap or........well have you ever heard achicken fart?.

Good luck chap!

pottery the new rock'n roll

sed jonny

deBoissey

Postby deBoissey » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Polthepot

Eyefankyew for your advice

The reason I have not posted for some time on the subject is because I am sulking with my bombarde. I have taken it from the naughty cupboard (remember… where my psycho teddy lives) and placed it on my sideboard where it remains as a silent reminder of my abject failure to tame the beast.

Soft plastic chanter reeds you say? Hmmm… I shall scan the tinterweb looking for such items, I can only hope they are better than my Macdonald drinking straw attempts at a plastic reed.

In the meantime I am taking solace in my trusty old bass guitar and my didgeridoo.

I am familiar with Salford, Ordsall and the children of that area… I can understand why you would want to bombarde at them. Perhaps this is the way forward for the penal system - any young Burberry clad miscreants will have to have several hours of bombarde played at them by a medieval musician (with ear defenders for the musician obviously) whilst sitting in a small tin shed. Obviously the tin shed would have to be placed somewhere where people cannot be disturbed or never visit – Duckinfield maybe. This is a fine alternative to ASBO’s and custody IMO.

I have received a complaint from a badger person – I would like to point out that we saved the badger and, anyway, badgers look perfectly smart in a parka (as do anteaters). I would like to add that badgers, despite their cuddly exterior, are bad tempered, ill mannered and smelly. They have sharp teeth, sharp claws and no sense of humour – ask any slug.

Badgers are poo.

There… I’ve said it… sue and be damned!

Wayland2002

Postby Wayland2002 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:48 pm

Badgers is great!!!!!!

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:05 pm

Chillis are great!

You don't want badgers as your enemy

Cream-T

Postby Cream-T » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:32 pm

Both can be a real pain in the *rse.

http://www.milwr.org - extremitatem acutam ad hostibus!

Jackie Phillips

Postby Jackie Phillips » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:30 pm

De Boissey,

I've just sent you a pm, but at the sake of repeating myself and sounding boring, I'm taking my reed scraping kit to TORM again this weekend on the offchance that we might meet this time.

Should you wish to have your reed(s) scraped down to a playable state, feel free to bring them along and I will adjust them for you - this is an open invitation too to anyone else having problems getting a sound out of their reeds (I charge a cup of tea per reed! ) :D

Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:29 am

Having just read this thread through in it's entirety and almost had an accident whilst laughing so much, I need to know! Did Jackie do any scraping to the recalcitrant reed? Does the bombarde as played by De Boissey still sound like a scalded duck on heat? Did Wayland ever get his band going? Come on, I need to know!

My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

Wayland2002

Postby Wayland2002 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:01 pm

Gail Horn wrote: Did Wayland ever get his band going? Come on, I need to know!

Not exactly, Sir Fletcher and myself did record some "music"....you may have heard it at WEC.....The Fletch Pistols.

More seriously though I am waiting for a couple of cornamuses to be delivered

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:01 am

Is the gestation period for cornamuses very long, then? :D

Cream-T

Postby Cream-T » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:31 am

Schouldn't that be "cornami"? ;)

http://www.milwr.org - extremitatem acutam ad hostibus!

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:55 am

Good point, that! Mind you, it depends on whether the root is Latin or Greek as to what the plural actually works out to be. Do you pronounce the word corn - amuses or cor - namusses??

Jane

Postby Jane » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Hi

As someone who makes renaissance woodwind instruments, I am pleased to inform you that the plural of cornamuse is cornamusen. The origin of the word is Italian - corn for reed and musa for pipe. Hope that helps!

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:25 pm

Thanks for that - do you know how to pronounce it, by the way? It'll be one of those things that gets up and attacks me at stupid o'clock in the morning, otherwise! :D

Jane

Postby Jane » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:49 pm

I'm sorry that I'm no good with my phonetic alphabet but an idiots guide is "corna" (as in the cereal product) coupled with "muse" or "musa" (as in poetic inspiration).

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:08 pm

Hmm! So 'corn - amuse' (as in ha, ha laugh!) would seem to be a good bet, then! Thanks for the help.

black cat

Re: Bombardes - bombardment

Postby black cat » Sat May 06, 2006 10:20 am

deBoissey, know what you mean about the noisy bit. I try to practice the highland bagpipes at home. My fiance walks out. Have to close all doors, windows, and even then need ear plugs. The plugs soften the sound abit so you don't damage your ears. Just have to get everyone else in the house to wear them to. Or practice on a open area of land. With the wind in the right direction the sound travels for miles!
Recently took up medival small pipes (which are alot quiter)and bombarde (still having trouble with fingering). Coupled with the Bassoon (flatulating bed post), double reeds seem to have dominated my life for the last 10 years. Took Bassoon to Tewkesbury last year cos had an exam on the monday after. Sweated so much trying to practice in a tent, think I lost a stone.
In modern terms, often bombardes are played along side highland bagpipes in groups often known as Bagad.

With the highland pipes it's quite easy to practice quietly with a practice chanter or electric chanter. When is someone going to develope a practice bombarde?

Tried fitting a plastic reed into my bombarde, but it just does not support the tone. Still trying to find a way. I think it's all to do with the reed. The harder the reed the harder it is to blow and often the louder and shriller the sound.
It's hard but it seems a shame to give up after all your hard work to get their in the first place!

Have thought about taking highland pipes to Bosworth this year, but don't think anyone would appreciate that.

Return to “Music and Instruments”