!5th century dances

Making it, listening to it, words, music sheets, making instruments

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

!5th century dances

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:43 pm

I will not be sword swinging much next season as I need reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder (as a result of playing too much hurling as a wean). I would like to learn some dances approp to WOTR period (a little earlier or later would be fine.)
Does anyone know of a book or ideally a CD/book combo that might get me started? Many thanks to all. Marcus.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Tom H

Re: !5th century dances

Postby Tom H » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:14 am

Try Eschewynge of Idlenesse by Gaita, which is book of dances and companion CD from on the Gresley Manuscript, c. 1500. I've got this and very good it is too. They've also done a more recent book and CD called Whatsoever You Will, which I haven't heard but features European dances from late 15th century. See www.gaita.co.uk

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks brother.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

patience

Postby patience » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Hey Tom,
I'm also searching a such type of site well thanks for your providing a good link.
I like the such type of dance but my problem is that I can not do it I'm searching
a tutor.
thk.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi Patience,

If you are looking for a local tutor contact the Early Dance Circle or the Dolmetsch Historical Dance Society. They have information about groups who practise near to where you live.

Return to “Music and Instruments”