Wanted: Lute, or similar (Guitarish style) suitable for 15C

Making it, listening to it, words, music sheets, making instruments

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Thomas Hylton

Wanted: Lute, or similar (Guitarish style) suitable for 15C

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:33 pm

As the the title suggests I'm looking for an instrument to play in a 15thC environment, or suggestion of an instrument to play in a 15thC environment.

Am familiar with playing Guitar, Bass & Mandolin, but open to suggestions (Yes I know that opens the floodgatres...lol) But keen to find something to do in a Living History environment other than hitting each other over the heads with blunt instruments & make a different sort of Music...rofl.

Any inexpensive suggestions would be most welcome, unless anyone wants some of my current extensive Guitar/Mandolin/Bass collection in exchange.

Also:
I'm big into Folk music, though how much of that that I'm familiar with would be valid in a 15thC pre or post, is anybodys guess.

My best guess would be to look at Breton Style music too, so any suggestions on locating Tab, or sheetmusic to create my own tab for some of that or any other style of music valid would be of great help.

Even online links would be handy if anyone has any.

Cheers
Paul (Thomas Of Hylton)

saracen

Re: Wanted: Lute, or similar (Guitarish style) suitable for

Postby saracen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Sir Thomas Hylton wrote: Am familiar with playing Guitar, Bass & Mandolin, but open to suggestions (Yes I know that opens the floodgatres...lol) But keen to find something to do in a Living History environment other than hitting each other over the heads with blunt instruments & make a different sort of Music...rofl.

Any inexpensive suggestions would be most welcome, unless anyone wants some of my current extensive Guitar/Mandolin/Bass collection in exchange.

Also:
I'm big into Folk music, though how much of that that I'm familiar with would be valid in a 15thC pre or post, is anybodys guess.

If you want something guitar-like then you are looking at a lute, citole or gittern. None of these are inexpensive options (although your inexpensive might be different from mine!). But look to pay an absolute minimum of £500 for anything approaching authentic. For something cheaper, perhaps a psaltery or harp - would suggest around £200 minimum for an acceptable harp.

As for the music, there's a wealth of 15th century music out there and that's the best place to start. More modern folk is not the best way in. In our band we play a fair bit of late medieval material, but focus more on 13th/14th century repertoire; however, if you would like some pointers get in touch...

Gill

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Gill, will hold you to that. :D 8)

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:50 pm

Done a fair amount of net trawling & have come across a few interesting sites, but this: http://crab.rutgers.edu/~pbutler/music.html Probably has to be one of the best I've yet come accross. Which includes one of my favorite of tunes "Amoroso" in PDF & Midi Format, though it seems to be played slower than I am familiar with, but will be ideal for me to start learning it properly.

This is the version of that particular tune I'm familiar with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XPqVeWfOkw .... I'll appologise for the synthesiser & electronic content in advance.

Either way some great tunes in the original link in this post 8)

Just thought I'd share.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:18 pm

That's a good speed for Amoroso, remember it's to dance to.... having danced to 'Amoroso' as by Misericordia & Gaita compared to a much faster version, slower really is best... it's a beautiful, stately and romantic dance.... not dashing about!

That said, it's all interpretative. But the steps given to this dance aren't designed to be rushed.

Thanks for the link btw - that'll keep my happy for a while 8)

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Sir Thomas Hylton

Postby Sir Thomas Hylton » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 am

Thought & glad the main link I posted would be useful to more than just myself :)

Cheers
Paul.

Langley
Post Centurion

Re: Wanted: Lute, or similar (Guitarish style) suitable for 15C

Postby Langley » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Apart from the mandolin bit I might have written that myself Sir Thomas! I too need a bigger house to hold the guitars and basses plus laud (sort of a short necked lute shaped flat back 12 string guitar used as rythm instrument in Spain but great fun). I also have something which might fit the bill for you - an Oud, the forerunner of the lute (story goes Crusader asks what the instrument is called and was told
al oud which became a loud - a lute.) I bought it a few years ago at TORM for all of £120 and have used it at many events since.

The Iron Dwarf
Post Knight

Postby The Iron Dwarf » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:43 pm

busy mole who posts here and trades at many events could probably help you in your quest

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:07 pm

I'd back him up with that.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “Music and Instruments”