help with medieval hurdy gurdy

Making it, listening to it, words, music sheets, making instruments

Moderator: Moderators

Handbag

help with medieval hurdy gurdy

Postby Handbag » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi

i need a bit of advice please -

ive just bought a medieval 4 string Symphony (Box hurdy gurdy) and am struggling to get a good sound out of the Chanterelles. i have sorted the petit bourdon and the gross bourdon and get a lovely drone but i cannot get anything other than a high pitched screech from the chanterelles. ive tried changing the cotton and have applied plenty of rosin.

what am i doing wrong? too much / too little cotton - should i try silk noil instead?
I have wanted to learn the hurdy gurdy for ages and now i have one im gutted to think i cant even get it to play a proper note!! -
incidently does anyone know anyone from the weston/bristol area willing to teach me hurdy gurdy??
a very disheartened hannah
:cry:

Obadiah the Grouch

Postby Obadiah the Grouch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Don't know much about the mechanics, I'm a wannbe Gurdy player. You could try Chris Eaton in Upton upon Severn. He makes them, but may also teach.

Eric the well read

Postby Eric the well read » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi,
I'm dubious about posting to this, because, if you're new to it, you can't tell what the gurdy can do before you start!...
Tunings, different soundings, and repertoires all make a difference on set up.
Too much cotton or rosin will make it sound awful and throw the tangents out of kilter. If it's a very small wheel as in most, what I call symphonies,
it can have too much grab on the strings.Who made it? RWC?
Best course of action.- Is there a Gurdy player near you?
BEG FOR HELP!
(to find one try googling 'the hurdy gurdy soc' or similar)

There are numerous,books DVD's and websites telling you how to set up etc..
but none of them are as good as being shown.
P.S Chris Allen is in Merthyr (sp?)- Lovely bloke, great maker- (and does workshops)

Regards
Eric

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:36 pm

You could re-post this in the music forum maybe the good people at Busy Mole might be able to advise as they make the hurdy gurdy I aim to one day own.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:17 pm

oops can a mod move this to music section please??

if not i will repost

thanks

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Eric the well read wrote:Hi,
I'm dubious about posting to this, because, if you're new to it, you can't tell what the gurdy can do before you start!...
Tunings, different soundings, and repertoires all make a difference on set up.
Too much cotton or rosin will make it sound awful and throw the tangents out of kilter. If it's a very small wheel as in most, what I call symphonies,
it can have too much grab on the strings.Who made it? RWC?
Best course of action.- Is there a Gurdy player near you?
BEG FOR HELP!
(to find one try googling 'the hurdy gurdy soc' or similar)

There are numerous,books DVD's and websites telling you how to set up etc..
but none of them are as good as being shown.
P.S Chris Allen is in Merthyr (sp?)- Lovely bloke, great maker- (and does workshops)

Regards
Eric

thanks Eric - i can assure you that despite being a beginner symphony player I know there is definitely something wrong! its not the rosin as the drones sound great which leads me to assume its the cotton on the chanterelles that is causing the screech! (its like fingernails on blackboard!)
the Symphony is from Morillo-Dolcini
http://www.conjuntolanguedoc.com.ar/ing ... ieval.html
i bought it from them after buying a rebec and fiddle from them and just loving the sound.

i will try googling and see if there is anyone about that can help.

btw im not sure if it is still available but hobgoblins in crawley have a few symphonies available second hand - and by looking at the price on their website - a bargin too! seeming as though i just paid double for a brand new one!!
http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/secondha ... mers%20etc.

Kate1812

Postby Kate1812 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:17 pm

I think Chris Eaton used to teach, but try his son Nigel, he's a world expert so can give tips. Google him for his website

This is so simple a child of 5 could understand it......quick fetch me a child of 5!

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 pm

thanks all for your suggestions - ive joined a hurdy gurdy forum too - incase anyone there is close to me that can help.

aardvarkdanny

hurdy gurdy

Postby aardvarkdanny » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi, Was looking on e.bay and found a Hurdy Gurdy festival that takes place in Derbyshire on 14th -17th May and they have various classes including beginners. They may be able to help and it looks fun, if I am free might go along. The website is www.gurdy.co.uk
Hope this helps.

Return to “Music and Instruments”