Crimean War period drums

Making it, listening to it, words, music sheets, making instruments

Moderator: Moderators

Bogwoppit

Crimean War period drums

Postby Bogwoppit » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:06 pm

I'm looking for information on drums and drumming of this period, specifically mounted drummers, but anything will be read avidly. Does anyone know of any books, pictures, websites, sound bytes etc?

Also mounted drummers of the Jacobite Rebellion as above.

Andy R
Post Centurion

Postby Andy R » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:40 am

Hi TJ

Not seen any refference for mounted drummers (bar kettle drummers) past the ECW period Dragoons. They could well have gone in to the restoration period having said that, but there's a big gap between Dragoons fighting dismounted (for the 2nd it was 1707 up till WWI), although I think some fought dismounted during the 1719 rebelion.

Anywho - Crimean period - not a chance. Dragoon by name, cavalry by nature. Field service musicians would be relegated to Trumpeter.

The best one I know on that score is Neil Wishart who knows just about every call for both dismounted (parade, mounting up etc) and mounted (change of pace, turns, drawing swords, putting up sword, charge and more importantly recall.

In fact here he is in the Crimea for the 150th
(just don't look at the dressings - I missed this as I was in Helsinki, but apparently the horses were interesting :? )

Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die

http://www.16ld.org

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:44 pm

Andy R wrote:Not seen any refference for mounted drummers (bar kettle drummers) past the ECW period Dragoons. They could well have gone in to the restoration period having said that, but there's a big gap between Dragoons fighting dismounted (for the 2nd it was 1707 up till WWI), although I think some fought dismounted during the 1719 rebelion.

I think Prince Rupert's Dragoons of 1672 still had drummers...& I think a brigade fought dismounted at 1715 Preston.
Sorry TJ...slight CUBA-ing
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Return to “Music and Instruments”