For sale: Sköll - a ringerike style viking knife

WTB Want To Buy or FS: For Sale - personal sales only please, not traders.

Moderator: Moderators

Ondrej Borsky

For sale: Sköll - a ringerike style viking knife

Postby Ondrej Borsky » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:43 pm

Hello, and thank you for looking!
I will get to the knife in a jiffy, but as this is my first post on this forum, I´d like to introduce myself.
I am a maker/crafter/producer/whaeveryouwannacallit of period things - I would like to say to the admins that I have read the rules and will, of course, abide by them. If they don´t object, I´d like to create one more thread with link to my facebook page, etsy and youtube channel - would that be allright?
I won´t post often, because most of the things I make are custom ordered, but every now and then I have a little time to make something just because...

So, I would like to present to you my latest knife - Sköll . It is a name of a wolf/warg from northern legends, who was chasing after the sun. I like to think of it as I "captured" it in the carving in the handle. The idea came to me when I finished the carving, got out of the shop, and the sun was setting, casting wonderful shades of light...
I stylized this knife so that it would fit in the 11th century, to a persona of a norther origin. The designs on both the handle and the antler plate on the sheath are in the ringerike viking art style. The blade itself is made of four bars - from the top it is wrought iron, patternwelded rod, wrought iron again and high carbon steel for the edge. The handle is ash, hand carved and stained, the motif coming from a brooch. The sheath has an antler plate as a deoration, the motif coming from a weather vane, and there are also three wrought iron clasps added just for the fun of it :) . Both the knife and the sheath have a brass ring, decorated with little punched circles. The ring on the knife serves to pull it out, and the one on the sheath is meant for a thread that would tie it to a belt (can be added):
the OAL is 22cms, blade length is 10,6cms

Since everything was hand made (even the flax string used for sewing the sheath was hand spun), I am asking 396GBP

Thank you for your consideration,
Ondrej

Ondrej Borsky

Re: For sale: Sköll - a ringerike style viking knife

Postby Ondrej Borsky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 pm

EDIT: Photobucket didn´t display the images... fixed it, and i apologize for the confusion

Return to “Buy and Sell”