The Thegns (of Mercia) 449-1100 AD

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

ChaseAED

The Thegns (of Mercia) 449-1100 AD

Post by ChaseAED »

(living history; encampment based, not reenactment)

We, the Thegns, are a Midlands-based organisation dedicated to celebrating and raising public awareness of English history from the Migration period through to the high Medieval age, and exploration of these periods through primary research and re-constructive archaeology.

Our focus Germanic cultures across Europe and their influence on English history. This includes the Anglo-Saxon period, the Vendel Culture, the Viking age, influence of the Byzantine Empire via the Varangians, and the Norman conquest.

Of particular interest is the development of warrior culture. At events we portray a group of Mercian noblemen and their companions, bringing thegnly treasures like those of the Staffordshire hoard, which, given the scarcity of written sources from these periods, provide the most compelling insights into the warrior peoples who founded our nation.

We are a new society, and welcome new members. If you are interested in English history from 449 to 1100 AD, enthusiastic, and keen to help raise awareness of cultural heritage in the Midlands, don't hesitate to get in touch with us (see contact us).

We normally offer our services for free, or in aid of charities. If you are organising an event and would like us to put on a display, or have any suggestions for venues and event ideas, please do get in touch (see contact us)

http://www.thethegns.blogspot.com

In addition to our other activities, we are compiling on our website an encyclopaedia of basic knowledge and fresh research on aspects of the Middle Ages. We are hoping that, with the help of enough regular visitors and re-links this will blossom into a useful resource for all interested individuals or history groups.

Image Image
Last edited by ChaseAED on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aed Thompson, Thegn of Merca

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Re: The Thegns (of Mercia) 449-1200 AD

Post by Medicus Matt »

Excellent. Always nice to have more people promoting the bestest, blingiest period of English history.

Just one small point of pedantry though:-
ChaseAED wrote:the Migration period through to the early Medieval age
The Migration period (or at least the part of it relating to North Western Europe and Britain that you're interested in) WAS "the early Medieval age".
"I never said that I was here to help."

ChaseAED

Re: The Thegns (of Mercia) 449-1200 AD

Post by ChaseAED »

Cheers for your support, and interesting point. I'd certainly agree the the bulk of these periods do overlap. However, what and what isn't medieval can be pretty contentious. This awkwardness, I'm afraid, comes from the fact that the term "Early Medieval" is, for us, a little too broad, and the term "Migration Period" is too narrow, excluding the latter half of our period of interest. I agree this couldve been better worded, perhaps "to the high medieval age" or "to the end of the early medieval age".
Aed Thompson, Thegn of Merca