A brainwave regarding student medieval re-enactors

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

F0rre5t

A brainwave regarding student medieval re-enactors

Postby F0rre5t » Tue May 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi all,

In the Clarences, we have a problem. No, not that one. Or that one. The problem i am addressing at the moment is that we mainly recruit students. We carefully train them and generally enthuse them with the hobby, just in time for them all to go home when it gets interesting.

My brainwave is this:

Somewhere out there are other groups with the same problem, who's student members are coming oop tha grim North for the summer. Ah-hah!

What i propose is a sort of exchange program. Obviously its not ideal in many respects; the students you get will not do things your way, and some other group gets the fruits of your labour. But its gotta be better than just letting them drift off without really seeing what the hobby's about.

If you feel your group would benefit from this idea, get your details down on this thread.

"Bravery is of more value than numbers" Vegitius, 4c

the real lord duvet

Re: A brainwave regarding student medieval re-enactors

Postby the real lord duvet » Tue May 24, 2011 6:15 pm

you are thinking of becoming a feeder club?

you know - a lower division team whose starlets are snapped up by the premiership bigboys before they can sign professional forms?

That aside, its good. Then again lots of people guest with other groups at events that there main group are absent, not just students.
Last edited by the real lord duvet on Sat May 28, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

F0rre5t

Postby F0rre5t » Tue May 24, 2011 9:44 pm

I am confident in the superiority of my group ;)

Seriously, thats a risk we'd have to take, i'm hoping that what goes around comes around. We don't see the vast majority of these folks next september anyway, so we're not losing a great deal.

"Bravery is of more value than numbers" Vegitius, 4c

Captain Reech

Postby Captain Reech » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 am

Be sort of like fostering them out, I think it's a brilliant idea but it might it be worth arranging it through the umbrella organisation? That way your student could be handed to a group doing a similar period? For example, I know the Clarences are WOTRF and L&M members, so it would be logical that a paid up member group of one of those would be the ideal place to foster the newbie for the summer season rather than handing them over to a group that maybe does ECW, which might confuse them a bit ("I say, don't you lot use long bills!"). Chances are they would have a chance to run into you at a couple of major events to catch up (Kind of like a visit from the Social Worker to extend the 'Fostering' theme) and get a chance to experience shows at places that might normally be too far off for you guys and you'd have a fair idea of who they would be with and what they should expect.

Seriously, good suggestion, if everyone planned ahead like that we might reduce 'Wastage' considerably.

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke(1729 – 1797)
Proof that being "Conservative" wasn't always a bad thing.....

GuyDeDinan

Postby GuyDeDinan » Sat May 28, 2011 8:34 am

It should work, it's a system I successfully used when recruiting for a (nameless) political party a few years back. it also works for our SCA groups as uni branches are separate to our geographical branches, thus student members link up with the summer revel and event season we run.

SCA Thamesreach (London) - www.thamesreach.org

randallmoffett
Location: Currently Northern Utah, Formerly Southampton and York

Postby randallmoffett » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:51 pm

I work at a University and have pondered something similar as well. I had envisioned some type of over arcing group to steer somethings like safety and such but there are many advantages of leaving it on the local, grassroots level. Maybe simply a website or listing of participating groups?

Not a bad idea though Sir!

Randall

Return to “Societies”