The Archers A New Society

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:44 am

Sometime ago I realised that the amount of archers on the field at re-enactments was some what lacking, now that isn’t a criticism, as logistically I fully understand that mustering archers from nowhere is just not possible.

Most groups have archers no matter what period they re-enact, but getting all those archers together is not something that happens.

Then I realised that there is a gap in the societies for an archery only society.

The aim of ‘The Archers’ is to utilise current archers from other re-enactment groups for events in need of a larger amount of archers.

‘The Archers’ is not going to be a full time group where we all have the same kit and meet once a week for training and so on. The only way this society will work is by organisers asking me to supply x amount of archers for a certain event. I realise that if you are currently in a group and are asked to do a different period then the kit may be different, the beauty of being an archer is your kit will cross over periods to a certain extent and lets face it we’re all re-enactors so we all know what to wear and when. Armour won’t be an issue with archers apart from the helm. All this will be finalised when the society kicks off in February.

I have already been asked to provide archers at events already and I have only really spoken about setting this up.

I still need to talk to some of the other societies projectile and archery leaders to discuss safety standards. I have already spoken to The Vikings who have a very comprehensive safety test and I will impose a test that will supersede everybody else’s. The reason behind this is so that when at an event and I have archers that are tested by ‘The Archers’ everyone on the field will know exactly how everybody else has been trained to install confidence. The can be no mistakes with archery !

Membership to the society will provide the member with the correct insurance needed to perform at events.

Annual shoots will take place away from re-enactment for the enjoyment of its members.

Primarily the idea behind this society is that every archer can enjoy shooting in mass. There is not much more spectacular than seeing a proper arrow storm and if members only manage to make one meet a year then the membership will be well worth it – Trust me !

With the mention of membership, I intend to keep it as cheap as possible as I understand you will already be paying to another group/s. It is my plan to keep membership to less than £7.00 per year per member.

Communication for this society will be through a free web site and through Facebook (sorry to those who can’t stand Facebook) but using Facebook means I can contact everyone at once in an instance.

The Facebook group will be closed and once you are a member you will be invited to join. I will also set up an open group for the time being until the launch of the new society in February.

Thank you for your time reading this and I hope you are as excited as I am about this !

Many thanks

James Farrar
Fairbow UK

Fairbow UK

Re: The Archers A New Society

Postby Fairbow UK » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:08 am

Disscussions on this thread are taking place in the Re-enactors wanted section of this forum.

I posted it here too to see which one would take off

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Postby Bad Viking » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi
I'm interested- have bow - from your good selves- but not yet passed any tests- but willing !!

ttfn

Bad Viking

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:08 pm

Interesting idea, question/observation.

"the beauty of being an archer is your kit will cross over periods to a certain extent and lets face it we’re all re-enactors so we all know what to wear and when*. Armour won’t be an issue with archers apart from the helm"

There are very clear differences between archers of the periods you are hinting at, so much so, that there is a danger that generi-archer becomes standard.

I have mid to late 15thc kit, my stuff would not be suitable for an earlier period, so that can't work that way. Likewise, a mid to late 14thc archer's kit looks substantially different to later kit. If you are discounting armour as an issue, then the clothing alone would make them stand out a mile. I attended Hastings 2006 as a Franco Flemish archer, I would put money on the fact that my 15thc kit would have seen me laughed off the field and Nigel's mace shoved up my jacksy. As it was, I was loaned the appropriate kit to suit the event.

* in which case, how do you explain the use of ARP hats for archer helmets? I have to disagree totally with that opinion. The variety of odd-looking kit out there is not indicative of people necessarily knowing what to wear at the right time.

As for armour, what makes you think armour is not an issue? it is if you want to have a go at hand to hand after you have shot your arrows, not only that, archers in the later periods were indeed armoured, the sad fact is that reenactor archers seem to take it as a soft option in al particulars, not least when it comes to not wearing any body harness, save for a helm.

Having said all that though, I think the idea of a standard of archery for the periods is an excellent idea, if anything that is more useful. I totally agree re the presence or lack of presence of archers in the field, it has always been that way, especially as many of us do periods where the bow was supposedly pre-eminent. So anything that supports that IMHO, is a good idea.

Lastly, profit making, or is it a society?

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Firtly to answer your last question it will be a society rather than profit making as I have my company for profit making.

Secondly, I think I should have been clearer when I quite loosely stated kit will cross over several periods. Lets not make a big issue of this but it does now apparently need clearing up.

My thoughts were just that if for instance you do 15th centry wearing single hose and doublet an so on then to do earlier norman stuf for instance then you norman tunic would cover up your single hose and doublet for example. They way I was looking at this was that we can get by with alot with out looking like a shambles. I do want to make it clear that proper kit is the way forward but I also realise not everybody has the money to buy lots of different kit.

So to clarify, kit needs to be correct from period to period but I'm not going to jump up and down if you are wearing single hose and doublet underneath as tunic at Hastings as it won't be seen, better that then having no trousers on. Lets be realistic about it we are all re-enactors with historical representation in mind so I really don't think it will be as much of an issue as we might think it will.

More comments and suggestions on this subject would be welocme though

cheers

James

Fairbow UK

Postby Fairbow UK » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:56 pm

Sorry forgot to comment on armour.

When you said about what if an archer wants to get into combat (or something to that effect) I'm hoping that if an archer wants to be combatant then they will have the appropriate armour for their own safety, would you go into hand to hand without correct protection.

Safety will be of upmost importance and when this society goes live then all the regs will be published at this point if I have missed something out then I would be greatful for feedback as there might be something I could miss out, I'm hoping not but things do happen, but also rules will be subject to change to improve safety.

Having been on the field as an archer I feel comfortable with a gamby, gloves and a helm. With this protection I have no issue with being shot at by trained archers. I have seen people go on the field with no padding and are quite happy to do so, alot depends on the situation you will be in. Helms no question they should be worn secret or visible. My opinion would be that if you are either not going to be shot or you are being lobbed at then minimal padding or no padding archers choice, if you are being flat shot at then a gamby should be worn just incase a shaft does come through the end of a blunt.

One thing we must never forget is what we do is potentially dangerous so we all need to take care of our own and others safety

James

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:28 pm

in my opinion i hope it does not get bogged down with a debate about the period clothing /armour etc,

i think its a great concept, its all too easy to look at what possiable problems may arise, but let it walk before kicking it in the teeth

i totally support this

"I don't know what you're doing with that bowling ball, girly. But I'm not gonna stand by and let a lady do a man's job."

Return to “Societies”