1 C Romans Interested?

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Re: 1 C Romans Interested?

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Is it really illegal?
I mean I'd be really mental in the head if I, a card carrying, Mass going, Fenian loving bogtrotter was to join say, a branch of the Glasgow Rangers supporters club and then try to make them stop singing songs about doing rude things to the Pope and wearing the moustache their fathers grew.
Knowing that they are a group that I could never fit in with the foreknowledge that (women and civilains are not wanted) Celtic -minded taughs will get their heads stove in I'd simply shop around and join a group that did suit me.
It would be different if this was a established group that suddenly was changing the rules and you happened to be a woman or portray a civilian, but that is not the case.
I might well join, especially if there's a chance a might go heid tae heid with a Hun (see above.)
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Optio

Post by Optio »

Front and centre Woodhouse, stop beating about the bush. You're in, alright :thumbup:

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Beating about the bush-can i not buy a slave to do that for me?
(It might get lonely on the Britannian front.)
Being a Tim i'm used to saying Ave anyway.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Optio

Post by Optio »

Don't you worry about that Legionary Woodhousio, there will be six other nice and warm legionaries for you to cuddle up with in the 'leather tent', and beating the bush is usually the precursor to 'driven barbarian pilum practice', all good clean fun.

Attilla the Bun

Post by Attilla the Bun »

Loving this thread. =:o)

Who is it you're planning to fight, then?
Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Optio

Post by Optio »

Attilla the Bun wrote:Who is it you're planning to fight, then?
Why?

Attilla the Bun

Just...wondered.

Optio

Post by Optio »

Oh, right. :roll:

chrisanson
Post Centurion

Post by chrisanson »

Optio wrote:Oh, right. :roll:
well?

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

I think it is a genuine question. Have you got any screaming hairy 'celtic' types lined up then?

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

Optio wrote:Oh, right. :roll:
No, really. A genuine question from an interested party. Are you going to be uber-fentic but not do anything but stand around? If not, then it's a good idea to answer questions with civil answers.
Prime practitioner of headology and purveyor of beads.

Tillerman Beads

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Just standing around is what the Ermine Street Guard do, looking manly, drilling and watching over a "really important" peice of sand was the bulk of my war.
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Optio

Post by Optio »

Attilla the Bun wrote:Just...wondered.
Removing 'The Vicus' tag from your sign in doesn't help me have any thoughts towards your credibility OK. There is a 'look at what has been previosly posted by this poster' option, which I have, and as you are a member of the Vicus, and have not aluded so, I can only treat your questions, along with the removal of the tag with a degree of contempt, so excuse me if I seem rude.

I have stated in the original post that I was looking for Legionaries. I have stated clearly what is required to be considered. I have also loosely stated what the group will do. In all honesty I don't have to answer any questions about my groups training schedule, my groups intended display or arena display. All I will say is that I have looked at 'all Roman' groups, and discussed with a good friend what 'I' would consider to be an exciting and undone approach to a display. Those who have already confirmed agree with these ideas. I do not 'HAVE' to tell anyone what our groups display or arena presence will be, and will not be doing so until you see us at an event near you in 2012. Are you really so insecure about your own groups display, arena presence? Whatever really, it's your problem, not mine. I cannot solve any failings or wantings you feel about your group, I'm sure mine will have plenty, but we will be addressing them ourselves and looking for solutions rather than attempting to get ideas and new directions from other peoples work. I know some people will think it is a genuine question but I'm sure you can understand why I am less convinced and have equally genuine reasons for keeping some information for myself and the other group members.

It's a shame that some of you have to behave in this manner, as the groups with nothing to prove have only added good luck wishes, both in person (when we discussed ideas last year) and on here. Maybe they see it not as competition (as they have already proven themselves) but as another facet to Roman re enactment that may, just may, help numbers at events, which would be beneficial for all.

We now have 5 pending Legionaries (not including Woodhousio) and a Centurion. There are people out there, without hidden agendas, who want to do what we want to do, so we can't be all wrong.

Oh, just one final note, Teagirl: I don't answer questions for others posted 'by proxy' by non re enactors, I will not enter into anything more from you as you appear unable to have any positive input, you are not a Roman re enactor, or even a re enactor.

latheaxe

Post by latheaxe »

Optio....One thing iv'e learnt about this forum and iv been a member of it and the one before it for quite sometime is................. dont' rise to it! :wink:

Fey

Post by Fey »

I've been following this thread with interest. I'm happy that there is the potential of another Roman group - the more people the merrier.

On behalf me and other members of the Vicus, best of luck mate :-)

Optio

Post by Optio »

Fey wrote:I've been following this thread with interest. I'm happy that there is the potential of another Roman group - the more people the merrier.

On behalf me and other members of the Vicus, best of luck mate :-)
Thank you :)

All equiries for the group can now please go direct to optio_romans at yahoo dot co dot uk we will have a website up and running as soon as we understand how to make it :D

Thanks again to all who've been positive and helpful.

Attilla the Bun

Good grief.
That's a considerable rant and an amazing amount of analysis on the basis of half a dozen words from me. Dax asked the same question on the previous page, without revealing any group membership, and several other people have said far more, but I get the rant.
'Twas ever thus... *gets out persecution complex and dusts it off*

It is a splendid idea to have fighting Romans, lots of fresh air and healthy exercise. We get over the problem of who to fight by having our own home-grown noisy herd of Brittunculi, and I simply wondered how you were going to tackle it.
It was just a bit of idle speculation, and now I find I've lost interest.
Optio wrote:
Removing 'The Vicus' tag from your sign in doesn't help me have any thoughts towards your credibility OK. There is a 'look at what has been previosly posted by this poster' option, which I have, and as you are a member of the Vicus, and have not aluded so, I can only treat your questions, along with the removal of the tag with a degree of contempt, so excuse me if I seem rude.
I haven't removed anything, to my knowledge; for some reason the website has stopped displaying my website address, and my signature as well, which are still in my profile when I go into the user control panel. I hadn't noticed anything had changed till you pointed it out, since I hardly ever visit here.
Come to think of it, if I had 'removed' something, how would you know, if you're new here? All my posts will now have the same profile, with the website not showing.

As for all the rest of it, do try not to be so silly.

KedlestonCraig

Post by KedlestonCraig »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote: I might well join, especially if there's a chance a might go heid tae heid with a Hun (see above.)
*cough* you can get that in C15 :wink:
I'm still alive - just spending time with my wife and daughter :-)

Optio

Post by Optio »

Attilla the Bun wrote:some stuff
Yawn. Here we go again, the other 'questioner' you mentioned was dealt with at source. Do you think I just stumbled across this site? Grow up. If you want the last word carry on, just remind us not to look you up at an event.

Attilla the Bun

That's a pity, as I'm always happy to meet other Romans

Teagirl

Post by Teagirl »

Optio wrote: Oh, just one final note, Teagirl: I don't answer questions for others posted 'by proxy' by non re enactors, I will not enter into anything more from you as you appear unable to have any positive input, you are not a Roman re enactor, or even a re enactor.
Whatever you say, Roly. Bless you, still the same.

I'm perfectly within my rights here and anywhere else to comment in a thread. Like it or lump it.
Prime practitioner of headology and purveyor of beads.

Tillerman Beads

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

I have kept my peace throughout this thread as I am not involved in the Roman period, however I would say at this this point that you have managed to be rude and intolerant to a number of people who have asked quite sensible questions and have extensive experience in your period. All I can say at this point is that I hope you don't find yourself regretting it in the future.
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Optio

Post by Optio »

Yawn, I have been accused, among others, of being John Conyard and Roly/Dreadnought, maybe next someone will decide I'm Lord Lucan or Shergar, everyone seems to have a theory who I am, and unsurprisingly you're as wrong as the others. We haven't met athough we do know some people in common, Roly is an old friend and has agreed to be our armourer and advisor.

I have upmost respect for some traders but (as Marcus says) wouldn't tell them how to run their business as it is none of mine. You say you are authentic, but a costume and a tent that isn't nylon hardly makes you 'authentic', even my suspended disbelief can't stretch to think a propane bottle and lamp is remotely LH, even for a demo anywhere in the LH area. I know a number of people like costumiers who quite often use authentic methods of production, and could happily reproduce a garment in front of your eyes, using shears (and scissors as I have recently found out!), a needle thread etc and a great deal of skill. An armourer would possibly change from an electric powered fan in his forge to a double cavity constant draught bellow operated by an apprentice/ helper and produce his wares and numerous other 'authentic trades' the same.

This thread is about recruiting reenactors to be Roman soldiers for 'MY' group, and no you are not a re-enacter. Nowhere have I asked about how other groups are going to display next year, the amount of trolling suggests individual insecurity from certain quarters and it's none of their business. Any 'sharpness' you perceive is a direct result of the trolling and harrassment received following this thread.

The guidelines for contact were clearly laid out (and abused) as has been this thread, namely because you have an issue with one of our potential members. And yes, he tipped the nod at the trolls and idiots soon after I posted (for which I am grateful) so no, you or anyone who is not a paid up, card carrying member next year gets no information, tough poop!
Life eh, really sucks when you can't get what you want by making a scene.

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

{mod}Other posts split off into a new thread at request of thread starter.
On the other hand some seem to have disappeared into the ether, which is rather annoying. If we can find them I'll put them back.{/mod}

Treaty Money

Post by Treaty Money »

Good luck with your new group Optio, If your group ever needs any nice soft kit which has correct weaves, colours, stitching and patterns.. I would be happy to help :)

Cluur
Claire Marshall - Archaeologist, Musician, Archaeological Textiles researcher

www.plateau-imprints.co.uk

http://york.academia.edu/ClaireMarshall