is there a 12th Cent society in the midlands ?

Re-Enactment Societies - details and links

Moderator: Moderators

Brian la Zouche

is there a 12th Cent society in the midlands ?

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:29 am

I'm new to 12th cent reenactment, however i have been involved, on and off in reenactment over the last 30 years, having recently taken up archery, I would now like to combine the two, but find I get no replies for any society listed that i have found on the net,

I am more interested in the living history aspect than combat, but happy to take any role, I just thought a bowman around camp maybe of use to some societys,

I am NOT a wannbe robin hood.

Brian , Ashby dela Zouch, leices,

feel free to mail me with any help you may have

beebeesafe@yahoo.co.uk

"I don't know what you're doing with that bowling ball, girly. But I'm not gonna stand by and let a lady do a man's job."

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: is there a 12th Cent society in the midlands ?

Postby Phil the Grips » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:13 am

Sounds like you want Conquest-
http://www.angevin.org

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Brian

Both Phil and myself have ties to Conquest - as Phil says, take a look at the website and get in contact

Major show at Dover Castle at the first August weekend!

Brendan C

That's not a new dawn, that's some Norman bastard burning down your village

Eve

Postby Eve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Feudals is a small family friendly group with members from Hull to Torquay and Monmouth to Norfolk. We do not do fighting but are living history based with a strong archery element.

www.feudalarchers.org.uk

If you're interested, this Sunday we're at Dunton, Bucks, at the church, around lunchtime and at Hoggeston, Bucks from 2.00pm or pm me.

Eve

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:10 pm

ah i always thought, conquest were more 11th cent but ty i'll give them a search and check out their site,

thanks

"I don't know what you're doing with that bowling ball, girly. But I'm not gonna stand by and let a lady do a man's job."

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:14 pm

Brian la Zouche wrote:ah i always thought, conquest were more 11th cent but ty i'll give them a search and check out their site,

thanks

Conquest do the occassional 1066 show, but concentrate more on late 12th, early 13th

Brendan C

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:34 pm

hi yeah i have looked at conquest site :-) i seem to recall meeting (john phillips i think was the man) them at ashby and a big show maybe 8 years ago,

i would prefer i more local based group in the midlands but they are on my list, i have been involved in reenactment on and off over the last 30 years, so i dont wish to waste anyones time or mine untill i know for sure tthe soceity i join is the right one for me

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Eve wrote:Feudals is a small family friendly group with members from Hull to Torquay and Monmouth to Norfolk. We do not do fighting but are living history based with a strong archery element.

http://www.feudalarchers.org.uk

If you're interested, this Sunday we're at Dunton, Bucks, at the church, around lunchtime and at Hoggeston, Bucks from 2.00pm or pm me.

Eve

thank you i did in fact look at your site but as i have a hand tattoo ( which a linen ''bloodied'' strip will cover ) i see you have a strict policy on tattoos

thanks tho

Brian

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:50 pm

To be clear as we appear to be victims of our own marketing strategy :D

Conquest are a society who cover the period 1066- 1315 ( and yes we have been known to do other things too like vikings and French at agincourt) a big period BUT we have a plan.

We chose key datelines from the period and do not expect everybody to have all sparkly top range new kit for each one hence you will find those who were knights at one show stoking fires at the next show.

We tend to hover around the mid period datelines as the kits more fun but at a push with notice can and have fielded 80+ heavy infantry plus auxiliaries at 1066 gigs and 5 properly equipped knights at a 1312 one.

Events tend to be in the midland belt mainly BUT we support Lanark and do at least one event each in the South East (2 Dover and Hastings this year) and North (Riveaux abbey).

We also do a mad kiddies battle of hastings :D

Done Warwick Riveaux Guesting at Nottingham and our own extravaganza at Huntingdon

Still to come Kelmarsh Dover Lanark Kennilworth Wychwood and Hastings

BRENDAN drop me aline I have a job for you

Nige

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Eve

Postby Eve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi Brian,

Do you think your tattoos are a problem? If not come along and have a chat with us - we can then look at the damage.

Eve

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:22 pm

hi,

no i never thought my tattoos were/are a problem, as i was pretty sure a english person of the time period i wished to cover would NOT have yin/yang symbol or chinese characters of wing chun gung fu :-) so i simply made some strips of unbleached linen with fake blood stain, which i wrap around said hand which hides the tattoos, your site was one of the first i looked at a while ago, but i took it i may not be accepted re tattoos, but i would be more than happy to meet you and talk in person at an event, as yet i am not 100% decided as to which society i should apply to, as if they are not what i seek, or in fact im not what they seek we waste both theirs and my time.

As i became involved in reenactment over 30 years ago, and found petty internal 'politics' and society Vs society back biting slowly took the edge off of my enjoyment, i also in the past jumped in feet first to any society that seemed to cover the outlook i was looking for only to find the same old story, i have some weekend work commitments, contractual overtime and call out rota, which means i am not free every weekend,
i love the reenactment scene, over the years i have made some real good friends, however i am more and more leaning more towards the living history aspect,

so i look forward meeting and having a chat face to face

thanks for your reply

Brain

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Nigel wrote:To be clear as we appear to be victims of our own marketing strategy :D

Conquest are a society who cover the period 1066- 1315 ( and yes we have been known to do other things too like vikings and French at agincourt) a big period BUT we have a plan.

We chose key datelines from the period and do not expect everybody to have all sparkly top range new kit for each one hence you will find those who were knights at one show stoking fires at the next show.

We tend to hover around the mid period datelines as the kits more fun but at a push with notice can and have fielded 80+ heavy infantry plus auxiliaries at 1066 gigs and 5 properly equipped knights at a 1312 one.

Events tend to be in the midland belt mainly BUT we support Lanark and do at least one event each in the South East (2 Dover and Hastings this year) and North (Riveaux abbey).

We also do a mad kiddies battle of hastings :D

HI nigel,
well i shall have to meet up with you all and talk face to face, i did in fact join conquest maybe 7/8/ or 9 years ago, however i hit a snag with some inter-society kit being made for me which quickly made me lose interest. of course whats past is past, and i dont hold grudges, now i wish to be 100% sure before i watse anyones time in applying to join a society

Brian

Done Warwick Riveaux Guesting at Nottingham and our own extravaganza at Huntingdon

Still to come Kelmarsh Dover Lanark Kennilworth Wychwood and Hastings

BRENDAN drop me aline I have a job for you

Nige

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:00 pm

i wonder if the period i wish to cover ( late , mid to late 1100;s to early 1200's ) is not a popular one ???

i have never before found it so hard to get a reply of any of the societys that state thats a period they cover. apart from conquest, but im not sure i can comply to their '' must do more than one large event the 1st year'' due to my work commitments, and animal care commitments, i had hoped i would have had some joy from Historia Normannis, as they seem to really cover my period, but so far i've had a referal to a local group, who for what ever reasons im getting no sign of their interest.20 years i spent in ACW, and we never lost 1 protential recruit due to lack of contact from oursleves. so is it that the period is more or less defunct as a reenactment one ??

any views most welcome

(im at kelmarsh this coming saturday, anyone with info let me know and i'll seek you out)

brian

latheaxe

Postby latheaxe » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:58 pm

Middle to late 14th century is the way forward lol... :wink: :D

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:33 pm

Brian la Zouche wrote:(im at kelmarsh this coming saturday, anyone with info let me know and i'll seek you out) brian

Brian, come over to the Conquest site at Kelmarsh and have a chat

Brendan C

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:22 pm

hey talking to the guys and girls at tweks today its a very good idea latheaxe, this is why i miss reenacting so much. everyones friendly and helpfull, well ones i spoke to were

Brendon i'll seek you out this coming sat for sure, thanks for your help

cheers B

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Brian la Zouche wrote:hey talking to the guys and girls at tweks today its a very good idea latheaxe, this is why i miss reenacting so much. everyones friendly and helpfull, well ones i spoke to were

Brendon i'll seek you out this coming sat for sure, thanks for your help

cheers B

Best time would be after 1pm, I think

Will see you then

Brendan C

latheaxe

Postby latheaxe » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Ha! best period to re-enact lol....Anyhow if you have a shift of mind give me a shout! To be honest i have come to the conclusion that it doe's not matter where a groups based because you will end up traveling all over the country to event's anyhow.. :thumbup:

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Hi latheaxe
again thanks for the offer, but im sure you understand as far as periods go, i have to go where my heart lies,
and yeah i spent ages in ACW, not all the shows where on my doorstep :-D

Hi Brendan
no probs will seek you out 1 ish,
the guy i used to be in touch with, i thought his name was john phillips, but i may be wrong it could have been a nigel
he brought a shield ( heater i think they call them now ) which i had painted a design taken from the Ivanhoe film ( sea dragon ) and a couple of other things off me at a conquest event at Ashby castle a few years ago, they were a helpfull bunch then seems nothings changed, catch you saturday

thanks both for your kind help

brian

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:29 pm

well as phil said in reply to my post, sound like conquest is the way to go, met a couple of them at kelmarsh, decent genuine people, so im going to go along and take part 1st chance i get see if they think ill fit in.

but deffo want to become part of them, so cheers all you pointed me to them

Brian

knight1066

Postby knight1066 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 am

Hi Brian

Although I was at Kelmarsh with Conquest I never had the pleasure of meeting you. Anyway I have been a member of Conquest since 2005 and thoughly enjoyed every moment. My passion is also centred around the 12th century and I've learnt a great deal about the period within the group but i'm still learning and making the odd mistake. However the wealth of knowledge within the group is vast and I've experienced nothing but encouragement and positive advise/feedback from all the friends I have made through my involvement with the society.

Also we have a large contingent of members who live in the Midlands from Nottingham, Warwickshire and as in my case Coventry

I look forward to meeting you soon.
Alan
Last edited by knight1066 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Death before dishonour...... The battlefield awaits
Mortis Priusquam Inhonesto Acies Exspecto

Brendan C

Postby Brendan C » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:32 am

Was good to meet you Brian

Hope you do come along to a show in the near future as a participant

Brendan C

Brian la Zouche

Postby Brian la Zouche » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:09 pm

yeah should be soon :) ive finally got off stand by for a bit so thats freed up loads more time :)

now if the gits would just pension me off id be laughing

thanks for your help advice

B

Bad Viking
Post Centurion

Postby Bad Viking » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi Brian,
Got your pm, but your reply gizmo is switched off I think !!.

Yep, we are kind of in the Midlands, if you squint and have an old Roman map of Britten haha :roll: :D ,
I'm based in Kettering with a few others and most of the others are in Huntingdon.

Yep most of this year we will be doing early medieval, and we have spare kit if you need some. We are aiming to really play up our LH side of things and we are sourcing lots of nice bits and pieces- also we have some really clever ideas !! hehe

email me or pm me and we can sort out a natter over the tellingbone, see what we can sort out ! :P

http://r-a-t-s.webs.com/

ttfn

I might be in the gutter....but I'm still looking up at the takeaway !.

Return to “Societies”