Medieval Top Hat

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

craig1459
Post Centurion

Medieval Top Hat

Postby craig1459 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:58 am

Couldn't find Fox's original thread on this so I'll start a new one.

Found this piccy of a C15 gargoyle from St Peter's Church at Winchcombe Glos - apparently a caricature of a local worthy

Looks like some form of top hat on him - especially if you consider erosion of the brim

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Living locally to this fine gargoyle, I was of the impression that he and his mates are grotesques-not based on anybody in particular.

The hat is probably 'just a funny hat that I saw', although it does have the same general shape as my Polish straw hat- Arnolfini-esque. I'd call it more a pork-pie hat than a topper.

To 'cuba' this fred slightly, have a look at the carved heads in the chapter house at Wells next time you're darn sarf. The one I like is the chap with the strings of his coif cap held in his mouth-the problem of having to cut the strings when they ravel into a gordian knot is obviously authentic!

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

StaffordCleggy

Postby StaffordCleggy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:27 pm

Craig - Allan has a C15th 'Top Hat' that looks very similar to the one in the picture. It has a wide(ish) brim & the crown is wider at the top than at its base.

Of course, i wouldn't be so bold as to suggest the above carving was in any way based upon someone we may know.....

craig1459
Post Centurion

Postby craig1459 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Cat wrote:Living locally to this fine gargoyle, I was of the impression that he and his mates are grotesques-not based on anybody in particular.

That's what my cotswold guidebook said he he. Can't recall if I ever went to this church when I lived down there d'oh lol

die Behmen hinder iren bafosen ... stunden vest wie die mauren

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:35 pm

I've seen a hat like this on the Historic enterprise site. Try looking it up omae. If you wanna get a head, get a hat.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “Costumes”