Peter the Great Hat

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Peter the Great Hat

Postby sally » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:10 am

I'm having a go at working out the pattern for the knitted 'Peter the Great' hat. Its going reasonably well, but I wanted some feedback from anyone who has one in this style. I can't go to Russia to see the original so I'm working on the description in Kirsty Bucklands article and memory of a couple of reproductions I've seen over the years.

What I'm not sure about is whether it looks quite right yet, its certainly a functional hat, but what do I need to tweak in the next one do you think?
Attachments
peterhat2.jpg
peterhat.jpg

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:25 am

Looks very close to the repro ones I've seen a couple of ECWS people wearing....may get tempted myself if you go into production.
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:30 pm

Ha ha! I was reading that, wonder who Peter, the Great hat was!

Lidi :lol:

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:18 am

steve stanley wrote:Looks very close to the repro ones I've seen a couple of ECWS people wearing....may get tempted myself if you go into production.
Steve

Sure thing, just let me know when you want one :D Always happy to make hats to order

Foxe
Post Centurion

Postby Foxe » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Being Sally's first (I believe) PtG hat customer, let me say it arrived today and I'm very pleased indeed. It will be available to view at various events throughout the following seasons, marred only by the ugly mug beneath it.

Interesting question (and a bit of background): The PtG hat's history begins with a visit by the said Csar to England in the 1690s. Peter had a great fascination with ships and the sea, and so spent quite a bit of his visit looking over naval ships and dockyards and the like. He became enamoured of the hats he kept seeing the English sailors wearing, and on his way home he bought one - the one in the Hermitage Museum which is now being copied. The question is, do any other owners of PtG hats actually use them to portray English seamen of the late 17th/early 18th century?

...and further this Informant saith not.

Foxe

'Don't be fooled by his general air of living in a skip'

http://www.etfox.co.uk

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:47 pm

PtG stayed in a local pub (King's Arms in Godalming)on the way to/from Portsmouth. They still have the bill that his entourage ran up while staying - they consumed rather a lot.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Return to “Costumes”