Medieval kit - advice please.

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Wina McPod

Medieval kit - advice please.

Post by Wina McPod »

Hi, we are thinking of trading at some fayres next summer and will need appropriate kit - we currently do 18thc. Can somebody please help with advice or point me in the right direction for some basic (cheap) easy to make kit / patterns.
Thankyou

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Wear a sack tied with string and cover yourself in ****.

I understand from a couple of knowledgeable 18thC people thats what medieval is all about!
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

You won't go far wrong with this free pattern
http://www.sallypointer.com/simplemedievaldress

I do a booklet of Underwear patterns too if you are interested (£1.75, covers shifts, shirts, braies, headresses, aprons etc)

WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

You do realise, we all eat mud and are actually dead :wink:

WW 8)

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

So THAT's the order we're supposed to do it in .....

This is also a good time of year to advertise for second hand kit, as people will have bought and are looking to clear out. Advertise period and sizes required and level of authenticity wanted (ie we're traders, so we need good 'camouflage' semi- authentic in period cloths) on the Buy and sell section.

Of course, second-hand wear and is ready made and cheaper than new kit, It looks better too, as being worn already it looks like clothes, not costume amd has probably done a lot of it's shrinking already. It will be cheaper, so you can afford better (remember to factor in how much the manufacture time would cost you, especially if you are looking at nice C14th with all those button and buttnholes) before deciding it is "too much".

The better a level of authenticity you put up to start with gives you a wider range of choices for later trading: if you look right it can't go against you.

Sally's C14th kirtle pattern is good and the instructions are not to skimpy - it really is that easy - the look depends on fitting, which is simple enough. Take advantage!

Lena

Post by Lena »

Kass McGann's beginners pages on http://www.reconstructinghistory.com are also very good.

/Lena

Wina McPod

Post by Wina McPod »

Ladies - thankyou very much, most helpful. Sally I will be in touch - wasn't intendign to go the whole hog re undies etc, but aprons etc sounds a good idea. Not going to be doing anything posh. Any limits on colours etc.

Gentlemen - and I use the term loosely :wink:......how kind!

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

The link to the Kass McGann patterns was very interesting and informative - but her patterns don't actually cover the medieval period which is - in english history - defined 1100 - 1500.

I know the definition of 'medieval' is does differ according to nationality (in France they define the period as ending in what we would call mid-Tudor) so this is not the nit-picking comment it appears to be. Furthermore it shows how important it is to start research with nationality - not only for national stylistic differences but for timeframes.

Scraggles

Post by Scraggles »

worth making some 18th C kit to sell unless u selling only at medieval events, although dominated by WOTR, not everyone here does that :)

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

I confused. Apologies - my reality should improve now I am being pumped with antibiotics.
Last edited by Alice the Huswyf on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wina McPod

Post by Wina McPod »

Scraggles - what sort of 18thc kit are you after ? or is this just a general thought.

Send me a pm is you are after somthing specific and I will see what I can do :wink:

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

If you want a reference for the quality of Wina McPods costume she made the mega posh Highland Gentlemans costume I was wearing on the Saturday at the NLHF and the silk tartan dress she was wearing. Both were copied from contemporary portraits and are spot on for accuracy.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

McPod has gone off to sunnier lands for a while, she'll get back to those who've offered advice on her return (after she's finished my new doublet :D )