Strenghtening leather

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Neil

Strenghtening leather

Post by Neil »

Hiya,

Ive just got some leather from the fayre over the weekend and I was wondering if there is any way to make it less likely to get all scarred up when Ive made armour out of it.

I dont actualy know if its possible at all but any help would be apreciated alot.

Thanks all.

Steve Stocker

Post by Steve Stocker »

Neil,
If you melt beeswax onto the outer surface, it will look terrible when it is struck but you can re-melt and polish the scars after the event. You won't remove the dents but they are camouflaged from a distance and you get a shiny new look.
Otherwise, you have to cover the leather - with some more leather!
Unfortunately leather picks up scars and stains very easily, about its only drawback as far as I can see.
Steve
Usted no tiene prioridad

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

About the only way to 'harden' the surface of leather is to wet it and burnish it down. It won't stop it getting marked, but the compression of the grain will reduce surface scarring to a slight degree and allow you to reduce marking already there.

Process is very simple. spray the surface with water or wipe with a damp cloth till uniformly damp. Then rub over with a smooth odject. Traditionally a piece of polished bone, a hardwood block or a polishing glass, much like a artists muller. It will darken the leather slightly.

Neil

Strenghtening leather

Post by Neil »

Sweet.

Your all legends.