Hats

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Sarah Elessar

Hats

Postby Sarah Elessar » Thu May 17, 2007 3:54 pm

I'm trying to get all my kit finished by the weekend, and suddenly realised (while half way through making my dress) that i don't have a hat, male or female... I have a black coif which i wear with my helmet... and i have some left over grey wool, blue linen and white linen... i was wondering if my coif is ok to wear.. as male or female? or is anyone able to give me a link or something to a pattern for something simple? oh yeah, 15th century!

Thanks

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Hats

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Thu May 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Sounds like the coif would be okay as a male -- see http://www.larsdatter.com/coifs.htm for some examples, but white is more frequently seen than black.

For a simply-constructed woman's hat for the 15th century, look at the wrapped headdresses (like turbans & such) -- for which all you really need is a piece of hemmed white linen. For those, I generally take a good-sized rectangular piece of linen (about 45" long by 15" wide, I think); I set it up so that the center of a 45" side is at the top of my head, and then start wrapping it around my hair (which I usually put into two braids first) and then wrap the twisted linen around my head, and tie it underneath itself. Which is a terribly complicated way to describe the process, and I'm not sure that made any sense; but the nice thing is, it's easy to set up, doesn't require pins (although they do help to keep it in place), and easy to fix throughout the day. (The description at http://sca-garb.freeservers.com/article ... rails.html may be a bit easier to follow.)

You can find instructions for various styles of headdresses on this order at http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/i ... catid=1265 -- I'd especially recommend Headwraps 14th and 15th century in terms of a step-by-step demonstration in photos.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu May 17, 2007 5:42 pm

As Karen says, wrapped coif is the quickest and simplest - hemming the edges is advisable to make it last, but not neccessary if you are short of time as the edges are not seen.

Zoe

Postby Zoe » Fri May 18, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Sarah,

I have a spare head covering you can wear tomorrow in female kit. I'm sure we can also rustle up at the very least a coif for blokey kit.

I'll bring them along tomorrow if you need them.

Zoe xx

Zoe

Postby Zoe » Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 pm

repeat

Sarah Elessar

Postby Sarah Elessar » Fri May 18, 2007 1:20 pm

Cheers Zoe, would be really good :D

Return to “Costumes”