How do you pad your helmet?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

If you are being very 'authenti' you should probably use iron rivets - but if you want a more decorative fix brass ones. I glued linin pads stuffed with wool (or wollen cloth scraps) into my Vike helmet and pikemans pot. My coolus Roman helmet has a spider glued in. Many surviving helmets don't have rivet holes or surviving rivets from fixing liners so gluing may be a more authenti option.

How small a baby panda are you thinking of using - I believe that when they are new born they are small and hairless so wouldn't be as good for padding as the squashed badger (and you could boil down any spare bits for glue!).
Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

I found some steel rivets on the net, so I suppose I'll have to make a dolly to form them with. I'm pretty sure I haven't got the one I made at college 20+ years ago.

Panda age, a very inportant point. Clearly a new born would be of no use due to a lack of "bounce". Maybe 3 to 6 months? The badger is shrinking fast and is a lot flatter than earlier in the week.
Is it still lambing season any where?

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Squirels are the seasonal roadkill for this month, or half grown rabbits. But you would have to use multiples and this might entail slippage.

I wouldn't recommend rivetting meat. Stitching is favoured by most surgeons and butchers.

I split Panda's kitten tail and have a lovely pair of matched false tabby eyebrows. They thin out so with age, you know!

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Looks like we're back to kittens then, although I think the lamb idea has legs.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

There are some pictures of sallets with what appear to be HUGE, decorative brass (or more-likely latten) rivits to hold the liner in. Depends how flash you want to be.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

That's really helpful as brass is so much easier to rivet.
Thanks! :D

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Hamsters! They have big cheeks you can stuff out with wool :D

Re rivets.

I tend just to use a piece of hard wood & ball pein hammer. When the wood gets a bit dented & rivet starts to wobble a bit, I just slide to an undamaged bit of the wood.
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

This is GREAT - two threads for the price of one..... :lol:

If the badger gets too spread out for helmet padding you could use it as a rug!

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

Re rivets

I tend to use nail heads. Just file the heads to round them off and then cut off most of the nail to leave a short rivet. Nails are really cheap from screwfix direct (sold by the kilo) but watch out for the postage.

Of course this leaves you with dozens of spikey bits of metal spare, but they can be used to make panda traps.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

I make it 3-4 with a short derail as we are also pondering Panda's usability in period cosmetics, taunting his fluffy liberation front tendencies and having a brief one-upping competition to spot the black history references.

All depends on whether you count taunting Panda as separate to taunting his furrry liddle frendz as separate topics or not.......

Panda

Post by Panda »

small spikey bits dont really work. Fur stops them from doing any damage.... 8)
Lord Panda, protector of all things cute & fuzzy!
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature to help him achieve world domination.

http://s4.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=72485

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

You can always use the off-cuts from longer nails to make a comb for kitty like these people have done. Should make it really fluffy :twisted:
http://www.susansfibershop.com/combs.htm

stephen wootten

Post by stephen wootten »

you dont need padding if you rivit straight to you skull....... :twisted: :twisted:

or staight to a panda skull and then put that on. if i hunt something down and kill it i like to use all of it (havent found any uses for chavs yet, apart from road bollards or concrete suport rods) flesh for my hell hounds and bones for armour and fur for clothes and rugs.

use brass rivits cause they last longer in a sweaty enviroment and are easyer to clean up.

steve
cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

A Bayard, A Bayard!!!!!

guthries Sardukarr Bashar

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

use brass rivits cause they last longer in a sweaty enviroment and are easyer to clean up.

I hadn't though of that, but it is a very good point. They are weaker, but given the stresses that a sallet lining usually suffers, that really isn't an issue. Better corrosion resistance, now that is relevant! :)
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

Has Panda been writing to his MEP or something?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6765653.stm

Panda

Post by Panda »

8)
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature to help him achieve world domination.

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

Stock up on small fluffy things NOW!! You never know when you might need one to rivet into your helmet!!! :shock:

Panda

Post by Panda »

m300572 wrote:Stock up on small fluffy things NOW!! You never know when you might need one to rivet into your helmet!!! :shock:

*SMACK* :P
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\

stephen wootten

Post by stephen wootten »

i have just had junes good idea,

if you trained and broke the fluffy things to fit under all of your armour you might be able to do a medieval impression of 'gyver'. now wouldnt that look cool whistle and your armour comes out of your tent and puts it on your body without any points and straps.

just a question panda, as you proclaime your self to be protectors of fluffy, do you include belly button fluff?

steve :lol: :lol:
cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum

A Bayard, A Bayard!!!!!

guthries Sardukarr Bashar

Type16

Post by Type16 »

Of course the real ultimate fit -- avoiding harm to kittens etc -- can be achieved by putting on salet and squirting builders' foam into the void.

Of course it helps to remove the helm afterwards if you are bald & have vaselined your head .............. do not smoke at the same time ........fire risk.
or......
have first covered your head in a polythene bag............but by the time it sets you would probalyhave suffocated so could not enjoy the resultant snug fit.

Tod............did you really mean it to get this silly!

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Well the badger idea is a complete failure. After chasing off the local crows my fingers went straight through what was left of it, which leads me to believe that badger skin isn't very strong, especially if it's been left by the road for three weeks.

I was up in Scotland at the week end and after travelling up the A9 (or was it A82 those mountains just look all the same :D ) I am now considering deer. Around my way we get plenty of the little fellows with the stumpy antlers. Cut and trimmed correctly I think this is an option. Not very fluffy but if I use the deer skin and insert a baby panda I should get a 6/10 comfort fit.
Alternatively there is a zoo now too far away and bush baby whilst not native to Britain may be the ideal padding. Or of course the old favourite the red panda.

As for panda traps. A box, put in bamboo shoots, wait, panda goes inside and goes to sleep. Easy, not the most difficult animal to trap really.

The nail points can be used for holding the hide out whilst tanning. This is a very eco friendly thread, and Andy I'm not really surprised it got this silly.

Hobbitstomper

Post by Hobbitstomper »

The swans on the lake at work have had seven fluffy cygnets. Might work... :twisted:

Panda

Post by Panda »

NOw Tod I know I don't know you that well and you don't know me that well, and I'm sure you don't mean what you just said because if you do I may just have to declare a FEUD :twisted:
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Maybe some one has got the hots for a little red panda :lol:

Or is that panda trapping is so easy that very one will be doing it? (much like panda baiting :lol: :twisted: )

So how's this feud going to work then? We gang up on the scrap metal merchants and then go off and duel? Or we duel and then the last man standing goes off to hunt them?
Didn't think about that did you? :roll:

Clearly a case of too much fluff.

Just a thought, those skinny hair less cats do they come under your fluffy protection or would you have to roll them in honey and hair first?

Panda

Post by Panda »

Hairless cats are cute so they are protected.

As for the feud I believie in doing things properly, a full family v family war. I'll get abck to about a time and place. :twisted: :P
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

I see defra is backing a ban on trading slow lorises

(http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/issues/2007/bio-0611.htm)

Mentions the use of various body parts but not as helmet padding - probably would only be authentic past about mid 16th C anyway.

Once the helmet that was the original topic is padded can you post a pic?

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

I might want to pad my helmet but FFS eyes and bodies in drinks. :roll: :twisted: Even I'd put a few pot shots in the direction of the b*****ds. It's all gone wrong since we lost the empire.

However :D
Last night I removed the iron rivets, lucky I work for an abrasives company and our grinding belts went through them like a hot knife through butter. I went home and outside the house I found a small field mouse. All I need is another couple of dozen and the padding problem is solved.

Now I'm having touble finding 6mm brass rivets. :x and only a few weeks to go, and I've got to make boots.

Sledge

Post by Sledge »

are you making the boots from panda fur - and will you grease them with lard -after all, they do need to be waterproof. Maybe kitten fur would be better - but without the ears 'cause they were 'nicked'.
:twisted:

.......................and will you have to rivet the boots to your legs?.................or maybe you could do them up with toggles made from the dental accoutrements of aforementioned panda/kitten :wink:
Lozza

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

maybe I could see rendered kitten fat for candles? Or for greasing armour?

Sledge

Post by Sledge »

you could always try old fat moggy lard?.................but then would it have the right consistency? - being old, it might be a bit thick - maybe panda fat is the way forward...................... :roll: :twisted:
Lozza