Armours - What one?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Zachos

Armours - What one?

Postby Zachos » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:03 pm

Hey guys, I'm not sure where to put this thread, but this seems as likely place as any. Being a NEWB I'm looking to purchace some cheap armour that will do for full contact use. I'm still a student, and so money is really an issue here, and white rose is very much not an option (more's the pity).

The group I'm a member of do war of the roses re-enactment, but have contacts with other societies that go back as far as romans et al. So I'm planning on getting a shirt of rivetted maille, to be worn under other armour or by itself when allowed, but what armoury would those of you that are in the know suggest.

I've been told that lancaster is one of the best for quality and price, but have also been recommended Get Dressed For Battle. GDFB seem to have a goodly selection of helmets, and I prefer the look of their sallets to the lancastrian one (sorry guys, if you're reading this, its just not my cup of tea). However, I've never spoken to anyone that has used a GDFB helmet, and would appreciate an unbiased opinion if any of you guys feels willing and qualified enough to share.

As for gauntlets, the only ones I have seen remotely in my price range are the good old LA ones, but am wondering if anyone knows another supplier that I can compare with.

Finally a few questions for those at the LA. Are the designs shown on the website final? Would it be possible to get a small amount of personalisation thrown in? I'm not thinking anything serious, just a couple of hard lines instead of the rounded ones on standard gauntlets.

Well that about wraps up this questioning round. I'll be at the NLHF on the 29th (which also just so happens to be my birthday), and hope to purchase some equipment there, so any information I can get before then woulod be great.

Cheers!

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Shadowmonkey

Postby Shadowmonkey » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:24 pm

I've PM you...

In every way, on every day, i'm getting better and better.
Unless theres Pie!

kanzlr

Postby kanzlr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:31 pm

hey there.

go and check out matuls!

http://www.matuls.pl/english/english.html

VERY nice stuff and cheap!

i own one of his kettle hats and its well done and sturdy.

altough i havent seen them in person, the padded jack plus jack-chains should be a good choice for full contact! his helmets are 2mm mild steel.

best regards
Berny

kanzlr

Postby kanzlr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:40 pm

ah, and if whiterose is to expensive, try whiterose munitions:

http://www.whiteroseapparel.co.uk/armapage.htm

this is the gear i use and its well done and sturdy (you can even see the hammermarks on the back. nice.) the edges that arent turned are abit sharp, but you can correct this easily by yourself. its way cheaper than the whiterose high end stuff and yet is historically correct and uses the nice and authentic whiterose-castings buckles.

heres a pic of mine:

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:53 pm

Thanks for the replies lads. I shall speak with those suppliers that attend on saturday, and shall assess my financial situation.

Any other ideas are appreciated though.

Edmund the Marshal

Postby Edmund the Marshal » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:01 pm

Unfortunately “Cheap Armour” and full contact don’t go together very well!

Speaking as someone who has had three broken fingers and a chipped thumb, I would go for LA mitten gauntlets (I didn't). How they fit is very important you could have a custom made £1000 pair and if they don’t fit, you might as well had got an e-bay £20 pair.

Some of our guy’s have GDFB helms and they use them at KS for full contact. But I haven’t yet seen a great helm that beats LA yet.

The best thing you can do is talk to your 15th century group at a training session and find out what they use. Some have there own armour’s (like me) who only do work for there own group/household or they have people who are experienced enough to put a set of LA self assembly arm/legs together.
Also people are upgrading their armour all the time, second hand stuff sometimes comes up for sale (as long as it fit’s).

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:58 pm

My group almost exclusively use LA products, hence why I am looking at alternatives, not because I don't like LA, but because I want to sus out everything else as well.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:03 am

see my response on the Asian armour thread. I posted that before i read this one.

Return to “Costumes”