Stays

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Amy B

Stays

Postby Amy B » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:13 pm

Hello!
Right... Im sure everyone gets really bored of these requests, but I'm so desperate now its silly.

Is there ANYONE out there who would be willing to make a 18-19th century pair of stays (lower class) for a price that isn't one which makes you wince?? I've been re-enacting since I was 12 and now Im 17, yet I still havent managed to find someone. It would be absolutly fantastic if someone could, I LOVE corsets so as you can imagine after 5 years of hoping, I'm really fed up and ready to give up! :roll:

Amy
:D

Eric the well read

Postby Eric the well read » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:38 pm

Hi Amy,
Could you be a little more specific on the date that these are for? There are a wide variety covering 200 years!

Regards
Eric

kate/bob

Postby kate/bob » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:31 pm

google corset angel. She does all sorts of different historical corsetry.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:37 pm

Will second that Corset Angel makes the most wonderful stays.

Its not impossible to make your own if you are really strapped for cash, but you do need to be a reasonably confident seamstress to get a good fit. I made my first Victorian ones using the Laughing Moon pattern and was very pleased with the results and the effect it gave under costume.

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:38 pm

simple stays like those from thehcc are good for 18th C but probably not for 19th when you get a different shape entirely for stays, and that changes drastically as the century goes on.

http://thehcc.co.uk/main.htm

http://thehcc.co.uk/images/cpics/c105l.jpg

they are £65.
Last edited by Wiblick on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy B

Postby Amy B » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:32 pm

Tbh, I'm really not that good at sewing, and keep trying to make my Dad understand thats there's a big difference between sewing on buttons and hems to making a corset. If I could sew I'd start straight away! But I seem to have picked up my Mum's sewing gene which is practically non-existant. Thanks very much! Lots of help, just got to decide what to do now! I have had some luck in the past but majority of them were friends and never actually finished off what they said they would do... but I'm sure my luck will improve now!

Amy

Amy B

Postby Amy B » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:34 pm

ooooh... forgot to say: Well.. I do napoleonic re-enactment so all the corset information is a bit shady when it comes to lower class regency, but from the majority of people I've spoken to it seems acceptable to still be wearing stays.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:13 am

Regency stays are a good place to start, as you have much less work to do. To get the correct profile you really should try wearing a corset that pushes you up about two inches into a nice rounded shape, but not so much that you bulge over the top of the dress, if you get my drift. The best book to read is Jean Hunnisett, as she has patterns designed for the modern figure. You could try the pattern that has the petticoat attached to the corset. This will be really easy to wear under your dress. However, please be aware that once you have your corset you will probably need to alter all your top layers.

Oh, corsets are expensive because each one is fitted to you personally. It therefore takes time and skill to get right and to get comfortable. However, if you make your own you can keep trying it on and get it to be a perfect fit. So what if it takes a month or two to get as perfect as possible.

Return to “Costumes”