Men's clothing circa 1507

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Billman

Men's clothing circa 1507

Postby Billman » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi, I normally do Wars of the Roses but have an event based in 1507 and wondered if anybody could give me an idea of suitable clothing. What, if any, of my C15th stuff I could use, what I definitely shouldn't use and anything that's really typical of this period. As for social status I should say perhaps semi skilled labour and given that I'm pushing 40 not the latest fashions. If you could point me to any suitable web sites and save me a few hours trawling Google that would be appreciated. Thanks.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:07 pm

I just had a peek in the Tudor Tailor in the 'basic men's clothing' section. They show full length footed bias-cut hose, obviously a linen shirt (with collar) and a long skirted sleeved jerkin, which I *think* is most appropriate for the early 1500s. As for headwear, I think again (sorry for being so nebulous, I hope this is helpful!) that a simple coif is suitable.

I hope that helps!

Lidi :)

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:50 pm

Go to a library or bookshop (new or secondhand one) and look through some costume books, i recommend the ones by John Peacock, but they show the gentry through the periods so don't follow the fashion exactly.

Have fun!
Annis x

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:46 pm

this may also suit if you plan to make yourself

http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/in ... &p=163&r=Y

Karen Larsdatter

Re: Men's clothing circa 1507

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:14 pm

The Great Book of Hours of Anne of Brittany has several illustrations of laborers (and it's dated c. 1500-1508, I think); your best bet is to go to http://mandragore.bnf.fr/jsp/rechercheExperte.jsp and type in Latin 9474 in the box marked "Cote" and then select the "Contient le(s) mot(s)" button and then click Chercher. I think the most useful illustrations for your research will be the pages for March, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December.

The DaCosta Hours might be a good place to look (although that's c. 1515) -- check out the illustrations for February, March, April, June, July, August, September, November, and December.

Return to “Costumes”