Pure silk stockings

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:05 pm

Sally - my hubby Paul says if you were going to make a silk sample for me can you make it fit him - his foot is 11" long and the leg- heel/floor to top of thigh 31", black, silk, heavier weight or medium if you get that off the ground? And we'll buy them.

He's got lovely slimish legs - like mine - but mine are smooth and curvey and womanly and his are wirey and muscley and manly.

Annie

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:24 pm

Annie the Pedlar wrote:Sally - my hubby Paul says if you were going to make a silk sample for me can you make it fit him - his foot is 11" long and the leg- heel/floor to top of thigh 31", black, silk, heavier weight or medium if you get that off the ground? And we'll buy them.

He's got lovely slimish legs - like mine - but mine are smooth and curvey and womanly and his are wirey and muscley and manly.

Annie

With a description of his legs like that- how can I resist :lol:

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:26 pm

Quote:
clocks could be added as an extra after manufacture

I've read about these, but have no real idea what they are

They were to tell you when it was time to change your socks!! :lol: :lol:

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:16 pm

there isnt any evidence for half wool half silk yarn in stockings is there? I've just been sent a sample of a 50:50 yarn that looks really yummy :? Won't stop me using it for 'mundane' socks, but is there any use for it in the long stockings?

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:07 pm

there isnt any evidence for half wool half silk yarn in stockings is there? I've just been sent a sample of a 50:50 yarn that looks really yummy Won't stop me using it for 'mundane' socks, but is there any use for it in the long stockings?

This comment is from completely off the top of my head as I'm working and haven't access to source material.

I can't say definitely that wool and silk were used as a blend for stockings, but I am sure I have come across FABRIC that was a mix between the two. I actually have a lovely black wool/silk fabric that looks like a finer grade dupion on one side and a dull satin on the other. Its 50/50 wool/silk. Just need to finish the loose gown its earmarked for.

I'm sure someone else more knowlegeable than me will comment but I may have a chat to a couple of friends of mine who don't frequent this list but do know about fibres and their uses if that helps.

I'd be happy to get wool/silk mix stockings if they were available. I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to get any of the silk stockings made up in time for Kentwell this summer, would you??

Regards

Gentry/Tailor/Needlelace Maker - Kentwell.
www.myladyswardrobe.com

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:30 pm

I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to get any of the silk stockings made up in time for Kentwell this summer, would you??

You bet your bottom dollar she is too - Bess.
I've got my claws in her.
She's knitting her little socks off as we speak!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Quote: I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to get any of the silk stockings made up in time for Kentwell this summer, would you??

You bet your bottom dollar she is too - Bess.
I've got my claws in her.
She's knitting her little socks off as we speak!!!!!!!!!

Annie!!!!! :shock:

You really are a slave driver!!!! Poor Sally!! Though, I won't say no to any stockings in silk that are available in time for Kentwell!!! :lol:

www.myladyswardrobe.com

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:53 pm

Oh I was hoping so - wasn't that why we all said yes quite so quickly?

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:18 pm

This weekend is silk stocking weekend, should know by monday if they are going to be what you lovely posh types need. Annies husband has been volunteered for modelling duties for the first pair I believe (but you have to pay Annie extra if you want to stroke his knees)

Dathi

results..?

Postby Dathi » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:55 pm

Bated breath here Sally......Any joy....? Do we have lift off..?

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:25 pm

A parcel has just gone off to Annie the Pedlar for general fondling and waving at people over the next couple of weeks, certainly looking promising but want a couple of second opinions before I make rash promises. The main difference between making silk and wool stockings (beside the tendency of the silk to escape and run for freedom if I make any errors at all) is that it stretches in a totally different way to wool, so the sizing and fitting criteria I use on the wool ones doesnt work on silk. But, saying that, they do look lovely on the people I've forced to model for me so far, so we'll see if they meet the requirements of the Tudor gentry and whether any suggested alterations come back.

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:15 pm

hurrah
I'll make I have a look at the open day then

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:05 pm

Definitely hurrah!

Looking forward to seeing them on saturday!

Annie - make sure you keep a pair aside for me!!

www.myladyswardrobe.com

Tamsin Lewis

Postby Tamsin Lewis » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:09 pm

I've just picked up a pair from Annie at the open day.
They're gorgeous - thanks so much, Sally!

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:22 pm

Hi Sally

I must echo Tamsin - the silk stockings are exquisite. I had a lovely time fondling them (in their packets - not on a pair of legs!!). They are gorgeously soft.
I would like to order a pair or two from you. What colour silk do you have? I did like that lovely red colour. What sizes are you doing them in?

Not sure if you can change the tensioning but the single thickness silk probably could do with being a tighter knit. I think it would come out as a bit see through when stretched over the leg. Other than that both the double and single thicknesses are lovely.

www.myladyswardrobe.com

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:44 pm

I can do any size pretty much, what I wasnt sure at this stage was whether the measureing criteria I use on the wool stockings translated into the silk, it does stretch a bit differently. I can tighten up the tension easily, but the trade off is a narrower tube, the test stockings I did suggested that going much tighter might mean they only fit really skinny legs. Happy to try though. Colours- anything within reason, if I can't get the silk in the right shade I can dye it :D

Dathi

Silk stockings

Postby Dathi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:07 pm

Any pictures and further test wearing reports...?

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:20 pm

Paul tried his on and they were a perfect fit.
Our knitting guru Beth the Weaver, and Bess and Tam and I all said the same thing. They look great. To match the stockings in the museums the tension needs to be a tad tighter but we all sympathise with you using an ancient machine and it might not be possible.
Tam bought one of the samples so I owe you lots of money. The rich men I had my eye on weren't there last week so I thought I'd hang on until I've done this Saturday - just in case they turn up.
Annie

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:33 pm

Excellent :D The new yarn has just turned up direct from the mill in India, so I'll try that out too and its just possible it will sort the tension thing out as its just a whisker heavier than the current yarn.

Will try to do some pics of the next ones

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:19 pm

i want some .. which rich men (thinks hard ...nope still baffled)

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:30 pm

hmm, just test swatched the new yarn and whilst its heavy enough to give better coverage and thus the illusion of a tighter tension, its also very slightly slubby, and my suspicion is that this won't give the right effect especially where the stockings will be on show for the majority of reenactors, though it does make lovely slinky fabric with a very slight 'crunch' to it. I'll experiment further and show it to a few people but for the moment it does look as if we have the existing choice between the single yarn which is very sheer (though the tension can be cranked up for very slim legs) or the doubled yarn which is what a lot of people have preferred so far when trying them.

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:16 am

just posting to say I'm still interested in at least 2 pairs for myself. These'll cross a fair few periods won't they? Or are the aimed at a particular period - not that it makes much difference to me as I do most periods, just need to know what to wear them for.

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:30 am

Off the top of my head (my books are in crates) knitted stocking come in around the 1570s. Before that it's cloth hose. But that was based on the smattering of early knitting research that was around. Beth the Weaver is finding out amazing knitted things as we speak. 'Fraid we have to wait for the next gossiping opportuntiy with her, to know more......

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:40 am

There is a painting of a "Virgin" knitting on four needles, from, I think, the 14th century. Machine knitting was invented, as Annie says, in the 1570's and a pair of machine knit stockings was presented to Elizabeth 1 by ?Sir John Lee? However, because she was keen to protect the livelihoods of the knitting women, she would not grant permission to make more. (Rather wooly memory of a lecture by Janet Arnold - please correct if I am wrong.)

S.

Wiblick

Postby Wiblick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:44 am

Great. I plan to keep one pair for my sacque back that I *am* going have made and the others will do for my posher late 16th & 17th C kit.

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:20 am

Oh yeah - so you're alright Wiblick.
It was more there's knitting in the Middle Ages, and there's knitting in the 1570s and there 's a black hole inbetween and we were trying to figure out why.
One suggestion was no one had bothered to reseach it :roll:
So Beth is.

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:32 am

And for anyone who is mystified by why the Tudors are going doo-lally over Sally's stockings is because after years of uncomfortable/how do you make these tight/they are always falling down. cloth stockings, Kentwell has worked it's way up to a year when the gentry can wear knitted stockings. Unfortunately the choice has been between thick fishermens socks or ladies sheer tights (I exaggerate, we have found compromises, but you get the dilemma - none of them look right)
Sally's stockings are the closest we've come to the real thing apart from spending weeks knitting them by hand.

For Jenn - these rich men - are you fussy? Do they HAVE to be under 80 years old?
A PS for Sally. The male verdict on single or double silk was they'd like opaque as hairs showing through sheer hose puts the maidens off.

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Possibily just fussy enough for that yes
I am way too old for that particular rich man so had discounted him..oops

Annie the Pedlar

Postby Annie the Pedlar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:04 pm

Oooooooo We are naughty! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Return to “Costumes”