Cordwain shoes/boots

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Mountain Boy

Cordwain shoes/boots

Post by Mountain Boy »

I seem to have lost my post, so i've started another one. Apologies if people know where i put the last one :oops:

Basically i have been looking for the website that sold the shoes that some of my colleagues were waxing lyrical about. They all seemed to have a pair and quite frankly look the business.
The said they were cordwain boots (bucket top boots) and were around £90. Although a little pricey they last a good few years at least.
My problem is i can't seem to find the site. All i get is wikipedia definitions etc.

Can anyone help?
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

cordwaining just means shoemaking, so that might be muddying your search

Mythos

Post by Mythos »

Try Busy Mole and link through...

http://www.busymoleharps.shorturl.com/

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

I don't know if they are still going (they no longer attend the re-enactors markets), but a couple used to make shoes for ecw under the trading name of cordwainers.

personally I always preferred kevin garlick and mark beaby, cos they do proper toes, rather than the silly folded under toe cheat.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Cordwainer Crafts used to trade at the NLHF (after a buy out) and I agree with Tuppence regarding thier methods of manufacture. I haven't seen them around for a while so don't know if they are still trading.

I make completely hand made foot wear and made to measure. www.foxblade.co.uk

Cheap prices = cheap boots.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

The said they were cordwain boots (bucket top boots) and were around £90. Although a little pricey they last a good few years at least.
£90 quid is dirt cheap and Like Tuppence and Todd I would not recommned the I am afraid

Todd having seen some of his stuff is on my list to make my replacement shoes if I ever get to meet him :D
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

steve stanley
Post Knight

Post by steve stanley »

Nigel....meeting Tod.....Like Wellington & Blucher..it's a very frightening thought.....
Steve
"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Like Wellington & Blucher
:lol: :lol: :lol:

apologies to todd for leaving him out of the list :oops: - was thinking of the makers I have shoes by already, not ones I plan to get shoes from in the future at some point....morgan hubbard was skipped for the same reason
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Post by Tod »

Steve, that is one of the greatest compliments I have ever been paid, thank you sir, port awaits you.

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

You could enquire to ecwshoes@yahoo.com

I have not seen their stuff so can't comment on the quality etc but got the following price list last year

Latchet Shoes: GBP 60.00 / pair ( Postage included ) Color Black and Brown
Soldier Boots: GBP 60.00 / pair ( Postage included ) Color Black and Brown
Bucket Top Boots : GBP 135.00 / pair ( Postage included) Black Only.

Sizes from 5 - 13

I'd also like to add Andy Burke http://www.andyburke.co.uk/ to list of recommended shoemakers. He does bucket tops @ £250 ish.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

I got a pair of very nice boots from Cordwainer Crafts before he sold the company on (one of the last pairs he made). They are really nice, but defeinitely NOT as cheap as £90.

I have met Tod at the NLHF, he was kind enough to share his thoughts on medieval arming shoes with me. I also got to see some of his wares and they are fantastic! They are the only hand welted re-production shoes I've seen at a fair and while not cheap, they were a good price for hand made.

Anything cheaper than £100 is probably glued or machine stitched and probably made with modern techniques. I'd say that such shoes are fine for battles and other 'long distance' work, but don't look right for living history.

Colin

Mountain Boy

Post by Mountain Boy »

many thank for everyones help on this one!
will consider everything and check out all the links.
cheers
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit