Help. Tailors Forms

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Mad Mab

Help. Tailors Forms

Post by Mad Mab »

Hallo,
Having read the previous thread on the various virtues of different kinds of forms have decided that, since I really cannot face having someone wrap me in tape, I'm going to have to go with a dial tailors form thing and wrap it in jersey/t-shirt stuff. What I would appreciate is any advice on where these things are available and how much I should expect to pay for one.
Thank you muchly,
lys
Have broom, will travel!
The Company of St Margaret
The Borderers

JC Milwr

Post by JC Milwr »

I got mine from John Lewis, but I'm sure there are cheaper places...
Dance like nobody's watching, love like you've never been hurt.

seamsmistress

Post by seamsmistress »

Hi

Try
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adjustable-Dress- ... dZViewItem

A search in ebay for tailors dummy will bring up both the type you're looking for and shop display mannekins. Average price inc delivery seems to be aprox £75.00. You can quite often pick them up for the same sort of price from your local sewing shop - if you have one closer than 50 miles, that is : :roll:

whoops! - should have said they come in different sizes, so check the sizing description before committing.......

Mad Mab

Post by Mad Mab »

Freecycle? What be Freecycle?
mab
Have broom, will travel!
The Borderers

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Its a kind of online swap shop kind of thing. Never used it, just read about it. If you have something you dont want but has years of life left in it, eg a sofa, you can find someone else who wants it. Try googling for it.

Mad Mab

Post by Mad Mab »

Interesting. By the way, Guthrie, did you get a PM from me about vegi-tanned leather at all? It's just that I'm not sure whether or not I managed to send it correctly! :oops:
mab
Have broom, will travel!
The Borderers

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

Yes thanks, sorry I've been a bit slow in answering. I just need to get hold of Tony, and see if he can make anyting of it, I assume you are sure that it is veg tanned. (If it is, I understand that liquid from a finger wetted with saliva will soak into it.)

Calendula

Post by Calendula »

Got my dress form from the ads in the local paper. A bit tedious looking through every week, but worth keeping an eye on.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

if looking on ebay, you need to make sure you search for the right kind (ie adjustable if that's what you're after). and recommend looking in the crafts section, and the shop fittings section, as they sometimes get listed in the latter by mistake.

average price would be about 40 quid and ten quid postage, depending what you want. a little more for the shop display dummies.

(not that I have a dummies from ebay habit or anything....)
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

calicocloth

Post by calicocloth »

Here is the link to Freecycle http://www.freecycle.org/ It is a brilliant way of getting rid of stuff too good to throw away but too heavy/akward to eBay. There should be one in your area - it is not a swap shop but a way of passing things on that you no longer want. Last Staurday I picked up a Kennet & Lindsell tailors dummy through my Freecycle network that was just gathering dust in someones garage.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Last Staurday I picked up a Kennet & Lindsell tailors dummy through my Freecycle network that was just gathering dust in someones garage.
I hate you :wink:
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

calicocloth

Post by calicocloth »

Yes, I was rather chuffed! :lol:

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

I'm spitting feathers!

I never thought of looking on E-bay though. When my man-stand finally disintegrates, I shall know where to look - if I haven't retired first!! (Hope springs and all that!)

S.

Mountain Boy

Post by Mountain Boy »

there is an edinburgh freecycle forum. on yahoo (follow the link on the freecycle main page) you do have to register but have it's great for random things etc.
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit