What is a prix or stabbing stitch?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

What is a prix or stabbing stitch?

Postby Tod » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:47 pm

Can any one tell me what this is or how to do it? I found a reference to it ina 1920's glove book.

Kizzy

Postby Kizzy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:13 pm

Stabbing (Modern terms include: Grain/flesh stitching)
This refers to stitching the leather from side to side, so that the stitch is visible on both sides of the leather. Stabbing specifically uses a straight awl, while stitching may be done with either a straight or curved awl.
1. Sticking the awl completely through the leather. [Devlin, 1840]
2. Uses a straight awl (as opposed to Stitching, which uses a curved or straight awl). This goes in one side of the leather and out the other, and so it shows on both sides. [Saguto]

I found this on a website about leather boot making in the middle ages, I assume its the same meaning for gloves

Re-enactment is a way of life.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:18 pm

Sounds like running stitch or saddle stitch, but seeing as both are very different......... Thanks for the help though!

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:19 pm

Ooh - probably the stitch I use most of all!!

As said above, stab stitch looks just like running stitch - the difference being that instead of being worked just from one side, it's worked from both.

(ie - running stitch is two or more stitches made at once, (in a run - hence the name) from the top side of the material being worked - in stab stitch the needle is literally stabbed through the work, from back to front then vice versa, making one stitch at a time)

It's generally used on things like gloves, hats, and anything too thick or inflexible for running stitch.

It's also an embroidery stitch (used when the emroidery is stretched on a frame, so preventing running stitch).

It can be done with an awl and needle where the needle won't go through, or with just a needle.

Hope that makes sense!

ada-anne

Postby ada-anne » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Presumably unless the material is thick enough to show whether the holes are perpendicular or slanted, there is no way of telling stab stitch from running stitch on a finished item? Having no formal training, I just change from one to the other, from hemming to oversewing etc, as I go along depending what it seems to need at any given point. I'm sure it's fritef'ly bad technique!

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:29 pm

On some fabrics, using running stitch can cause the edges of it to slip a little, and you end up with an uneven finish. If you use prix stitch properly, and especially on leather or skin for gloves, it stays precisely where you put it. It is, as with everything, a matter of choice. I use it for gloves as it is the "authentic" stitch, and so gives me the finish I want.

Return to “Costumes”