leg wraps for Saxon soliders

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

patrick

leg wraps for Saxon soliders

Postby patrick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:55 am

Hi all, am having a little trouble in finding the correct way to fasten leg wraps for the 1066 period. Can any one advise me on how they were and if there is any images that would be great. cheers

kael

Postby kael » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:17 am

windings are quite simple. start at the bottom with one end, wrap around the calf over lapping and fairly tight to keep them from falling down. Tie behind the knee.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:37 pm

if your calves are shaped so the wraps don't overlap easily, putting a half twist in the strip of wrapping periodically can help give a better fit. It can also help to take the first wrap under your instep to help stop them riding up. Everyone is a differnt shape, so there are lots of ways of wrapping legbindings

Its possible to use small clasps at the top of the wraps, bit like the sleeve hooks from the same period, but most people don't need them.

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Postby Skevmeister » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:42 pm

moved to costume for better exposure

Skev

ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

patrick

Postby patrick » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:00 am

hi all, many thanks for your reply. So bascily there is no set design or width to put the wraps on. So what about material, what would they have been made from?

WorkMonkey

Postby WorkMonkey » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:15 am

Mine are made from course wool, make them long cus they have to go up to your knee, make sure they fit tightly, and that you have about 10cm spare to tuck under to make them hold. I find just tucking them under when they're this length is enough to keep them up.

WORKMONKEY: The Wilderness Years.
Look at the monkey, funny monkey
Little red monkey, acting so fidgety

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:29 pm

Bias cut wool is the ideal, although linen works too.

And I'd suggest tying the ends,
either by leaving the start end out to be tied the the 'end' end (if you see what i mean),
or possibly by using the old bandage method of a split a certain way down the length of the wrap, on the 'end' end, then tying the two pieces tightly round the leg, over the top encirclement, to hold in place.

obv if doing the latter, finish the end of the split with re-inforcement patches or stitching, to stop it tearing.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:29 pm

Bias cut wool is the ideal, although linen works too.

And I'd suggest tying the ends,
either by leaving the start end out to be tied the the 'end' end (if you see what i mean),
or possibly by using the old bandage method of a split a certain way down the length of the wrap, on the 'end' end, then tying the two pieces tightly round the leg, over the top encirclement, to hold in place.

obv if doing the latter, finish the end of the split with re-inforcement patches or stitching, to stop it tearing.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Dingo8MyBaby

Postby Dingo8MyBaby » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:07 pm

Besides tucking them in the higher ranks had a small hook on the top end so you could simpily secure it. Probably ideal for a theign or higher rank.

davetmoneyer

Postby davetmoneyer » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:32 am

Hi mine (Leg bindings) are 12 ft long 3inch wide and a 1inch wide 3 ft long end piece wool (inkle wove) with silver garter hooks ( Winchester style) I start them off just under the knee wrapping with a 1 inch overlap until I reach the ankle (This usually takes up the 12 ft wide strip) then pass the end over the bridge of the foot and under the iinstep and then back up the leg tin the opposite direction with the rest to hook onto the top of the wide strip just under the knee. This duplicates the illustrations of the Saxon High Ranks and is wvery secure.
Takes practice to get right though!

Regards Dave
Dave T Moneyer
perveyour of high quality cheap tat
Moneyer to the Bank of England
and the World
Regular prices for reasonable customers
http://www.grunal.com

Return to “Costumes”