Felt hunters hats

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Felt hunters hats

Post by zauberdachs »

Does anyone know a good source of early medieval "felt hunters hats"?

I require 12th/13th century headwear for Lanark and think most headwear I have is 14th/15th century.

cheers
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

I can make most styles of felt hat given enough warning and a clear image of what you need. I do have a bit of a backlog at the moment though :oops:

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Post by guthrie »

I think you will be able to buy one there:

http://www.lanarkmedievalfestival.co.uk/participants/

IIRC, the crafty beggars usually have some for sale, they hand make them as living history. (Assuming i havnt got the name mixed up with someone else)

Failing that, I can lend you a coif, or you can make one yourself, all you need is needle, thread, and maybe 3 or 4 square feet of linen.

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

cheers folks,

Thanks for the offer guthrie I have a couple of coifs but don't like them. I know I'm being fussy but I want a proper hat dammit!!

:)
Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

Here are two:
Attachments
huntershat.jpg
huntershat.jpg (1.98 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Leading the parade.jpg
Leading the parade.jpg (4.31 KiB) Viewed 960 times

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

With you now. What colour and weight of felt did you want? I have to get my felting head on for another commission soon and these arent particularly hard to make, I could see if i could add you to the list :D

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

excellent!

I'm really an ideal customer as I'm not very fussy at all. I would imagine a thick felt would be sturdy and water proof while a blue or red colour would suit my outfit ;)

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

when d'ya need it by? I'll have a rummage in the fibre stash tonight and will pm you a guesstimate

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Post by zauberdachs »

for Lanark which is the weekend of the 19th?

I'll look forward to your PMc :)

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

ooh, very close in time, will see what I can do though